Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:25 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,064,690 times

Advertisements

Villa Park has some sketchy areas. Lombard and Elmhurst are Definitely nicer, but I wouldn't rule out Villa Park. There are a variety of areas of Villa Park that are safe. Neighboring Addison has more crime than Villa Park. Lombard should not be Ruled out either. It's right next to Villa Park so it's not going to make much of a difference commute wise unless you're on the west side of town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:44 AM

748 posts, read 823,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Villa Park has some sketchy areas. Lombard and Elmhurst are Definitely nicer, but I wouldn't rule out Villa Park. There are a variety of areas of Villa Park that are safe. Neighboring Addison has more crime than Villa Park. Lombard should not be Ruled out either. It's right next to Villa Park so it's not going to make much of a difference commute wise unless you're on the west side of town
Agreed - I'd go with the southeast side of town.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,058,716 times
I strongly considered Villa Park, I really like the area, the general location and proximity to the city and expressways as compared to other burbs further west. Many of the homes are older so that was a concern of mine, and knowing some people who live in the area seems there's some flooding problems because of the older established trees going in to the sewer lines though I belive the city has a new program to address that. Really though that can be an issue anywhere I know someone in downers with teh same issue.

I don't think crime is that bad in VP, maybe a little higher than elmhurst but hardly a crime ridden area. SOmeone I know who lives in the area says "brandywine" area isn't good and also there's some pretty sketchy areas and apartments by the train station. I hear they are trying to get rid of some of the apartments and I do see home prices in that area going up and some nicer homes being built.

I would say try to say in the area between westmore meiers and midwest road and say from say roosevelt down to st charles. YOu can go a little further towards the tracks than saint charles but try to stay near st charles if your going that direction.

While VP has some expensive homes in general someone looking in elmhurst is probably not going to look in VP and vice versa. Elmhurst gets pretty pricey. Lombard is probably slightly nicer and has some affordable homes but I wouldn't by any means not live in VP.

I also think police in VP are pretty active. I used to hangout at a friends place in the area where there was no street parking. Occasionally if hanging out late Id have to go move my car off the street at around 2am I think it was. The couple times I had to do this the cops were literally out at my car writing tickets at 2:01, not sure if thats a positive or a negative lol but they definately seem to be a proactive dept

Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM

18 posts, read 21,943 times
I think Villa Park is secretly awesome if you like the things I do: running and beer. You've got two nice DuPage running trails (Prairie Path and the Great Western) meeting up in VP, so you can make lots of loops of various distances. You've got some good dive bars, a brew pub on St. Charles and another one almost(?) ready to go (More Brewing Co. on Villa Ave). Plus you've got the best garden store, Pioneer, right near there, and a brilliant grocery store, Pete's on Roosevelt, for a huge varied international selection. Just stay away from the crappy apts. off North Avenue.

Last edited by streptococcus; 06-27-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 10:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default I'd also add that the schools are mostly quite well funded as well as ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by streptococcus View Post
I think Villa Park is secretly awesome if you like the things I do: running and beer. You've got two nice DuPage running trails (Prairie Path and the Great Western) meeting up in VP, so you can make lots of loops of various distances. You've got some good dive bars, a brew pub on St. Charles and another one almost(?) ready to go (More Brewing Co. on Villa Ave). Plus you've got the best garden store, Pioneer, right near there, and a brilliant grocery store, Pete's on Roosevelt, for a huge varied international selection. Just stay away from the crappy apts. off North Avenue.
... generally pretty responsive. The mix of demographics is not as strong as more affluent towns which hurts "test scores" and there is some tension between the allocation of resources between Addison Trail and Willowbrook High but folks who otherwise LOVE LOVE LOVE the "diversity" of Chicago or its bordering suburbs like Evanston and Oak Park really could benefit from looking at such options...

Mind you I am not going to say that there is as much potential for appreciation as hot towns like Wheaton but for budget minded buyers Villa Park should absolutely be given serious consideration. I have owned rental homes there and the overall satisfaction that tenants had there was probably among the highest of any of the rental homes I held.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:01 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,058,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streptococcus View Post
Totally agree, I think VP is super underated. I remember when I first met my friend from VP I had never really even heard of it, I assumed it was way up north or something, didn't realize it was in the west burbs. Yeah it's a smaller burg and the downtown is a bit on the smaller side but the Prarie Path is AWESOME to have if you like to run or bike or walk the dogs. Like you said some nice dive bars, I think a new brewery is opening up downtown by that plant store. Pretty easy access to expressways, oakbrook, yorktown, lombard. Pretty close to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs