Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Well you said yourself in post #85 that "the South Chicago suburbs are among the poorest in the state"! Anyone who makes a decent income IS not electively living in those neighborhoods. I would assume that most lower income individuals are either stuck in their current home because they can't get a higher loan (so not selling), renting or using section 8. Not too many options for that here unless they are moving to another lower income area such as Gary or East Chicago. Most of the NW Indiana towns have very low rental options and homes are between $250k-750K; therefore, those individuals are probably not moving here and staying put. As I stated before, in my area I have only met 2 families who have moved here from the Chicago South suburbs and it was due to white flight in Homewood and Lansing!

As far as public assistance is concerned some is federal and some is at the state level. States are becoming more involved in who gets and who doesn't get assistance from both levels. State funding also plays a big part in it. Anyone who might be receiving it is not going to risk losing it by moving to another state!

Anyway, it's pretty clear you are Pro-Illinois and should rightfully be if you plan to stay. This forum is for those who are considering leaving. I among others are giving them information on that. If you are not, then maybe you should not participate in this thread any longer and stop the harassment of others that are trying to help PER THE THREAD.
Haha!!! I owe myself 20 bucks. I was betting that code word was going to be in one of your next posts. My sense of deja vu is in complete overdrive here.

Anyway, I can assure you that the people you think are on public assistance are not on public assistance. In Berwyn, everybody was screaming "Section 8!" when black people moved in, but we FOIA'd it and there were like a hundred vouchers in the entire city of 50 plus thousand. They were just families who moved there for the safer schools. And I can also assure you that if indeed NWI is getting white flight, that is not a stable situation to be in, especially when prices are low enough to upset that apple cart pretty fast. That should be good information for those considering leaving IL for the Region.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:45 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,185,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Well you said yourself in post #85 that "the South Chicago suburbs are among the poorest in the state"! Anyone who makes a decent income IS not electively living in those neighborhoods. I would assume that most lower income individuals are either stuck in their current home because they can't get a higher loan (so not selling), renting or using section 8. Not too many options for that here unless they are moving to another lower income area such as Gary or East Chicago. Most of the NW Indiana towns have very low rental options and homes are between $250k-750K; therefore, those individuals are probably not moving here and staying put. As I stated before, in my area I have only met 2 families who have moved here from the Chicago South suburbs and it was due to white flight in Homewood and Lansing!

As far as public assistance is concerned some is federal and some is at the state level. States are becoming more involved in who gets and who doesn't get assistance from both levels. State funding also plays a big part in it. Anyone who might be receiving it is not going to risk losing it by moving to another state!

Anyway, it's pretty clear you are Pro-Illinois and should rightfully be if you plan to stay. This forum is for those who are considering leaving. I among others are giving them information on that. If you are not, then maybe you should not participate in this thread any longer and stop the harassment of others that are trying to help PER THE THREAD.
? Isn't a town like Munster considered one of the more affluent towns in NWI? The median home value is $215,900. Clearly, there are a plethora of single family homes available in NWI for less than the $250k price point you identify at the low end of your range. This type of affordability absolutely does/will attract a certain demographic, particularly as more and more of the lower and working class folk are priced out of Illinois.

https://www.zillow.com/munster-in/home-values/

Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,185,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Haha!!! I owe myself 20 bucks. I was betting that code word was going to be in one of your next posts. My sense of deja vu is in complete overdrive here.

Anyway, I can assure you that the people you think are on public assistance are not on public assistance. In Berwyn, everybody was screaming "Section 8!" when black people moved in, but we FOIA'd it and there were like a hundred vouchers in the entire city of 50 plus thousand. They were just families who moved there for the safer schools. And I can also assure you that if indeed NWI is getting white flight, that is not a stable situation to be in, especially when prices are low enough to upset that apple cart pretty fast. That should be good information for those considering leaving IL for the Region.
I don't always agree with your posts but you are right on with this assessment

Old 07-11-2017, 12:02 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I don't always agree with your posts but you are right on with this assessment
Sad personal experience that to be honest I sometimes wish I didn't have But I'm pretty comfortable in making the statements I'm making here. Thank you.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Can't stay on topic and play nice? Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs