Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times

Advertisements

I have traveled all over the US. I honestly don't like most of the country. The few places I like cost more than Chicago. So, here we are. We consider moving to Europe from time to time though.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:15 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Nope. I'm planning to stay here in Illinois for the foreseeable future.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
Looks like the state income tax is about to go up! That and the other political nonsense are the main reasons we are going. We just sold our home and are in a condo temporarily until Mrs retires at the end of the year. Then....we're outta here!!!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
States With No Income Tax: Better Or Worse To Live There? | Bankrate.com

The list is at the link, but I also would caution --

Sadly Illinois, where we have the "triple whammy" of high sales taxes, high property taxes, and a one-size-hits-all income tax is also on the "terrible 10" list.
I am from Florida originally and even though it has no income tax, it is not a cheap state by any means. Florida has above average property taxes, the highest homeowner's insurance rates, top ten auto insurance rates, above average utility rates, and the wages are much lower than you'd find in other states. Most of the larger cities have brutal traffic as well with toll roads and express lanes.

Florida also has additional taxation for newer communities to build the infrastructure there, which can double the property tax of a particular home. In some neighborhoods you'll pay $3000-4000 in CDDs on top of your normal property tax.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
We lived in Mount Pleasant, the beach community just over the bridge from Charleston. We loved it there, moved away reluctantly for family reasons.

So no need to go as far south as FLA for beaches.
I absolutely love Mt Pleasant, Page's Okra Grill...YUM. I think it was just voted #1 place to live by some magazine or something

Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I am from Florida originally and even though it has no income tax, it is not a cheap state by any means. Florida has above average property taxes, the highest homeowner's insurance rates, top ten auto insurance rates, above average utility rates, and the wages are much lower than you'd find in other states. Most of the larger cities have brutal traffic as well with toll roads and express lanes.

Florida also has additional taxation for newer communities to build the infrastructure there, which can double the property tax of a particular home. In some neighborhoods you'll pay $3000-4000 in CDDs on top of your normal property tax.
When I look on Zillow and other sites I see houses for like 200k and 300k with property taxes under $1,000.I know those sites aren't always 100% accurate but that seems odd you say property taxes are high?

Old 06-27-2017, 05:28 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have traveled all over the US. I honestly don't like most of the country. The few places I like cost more than Chicago. So, here we are. We consider moving to Europe from time to time though.
I'm with Vlajos. The only other places in the US I would consider living cost more than Chicago. You would have to PAY me, a ton, to live in the south.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:50 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I absolutely love Mt Pleasant, Page's Okra Grill...YUM. I think it was just voted #1 place to live by some magazine or something
OMG, tell me about it. The one thing we miss the most is Page's - we still talk about it. We ate there at least once, and usually a couple of times, a week. Good for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Their version of shrimp and grits is the most amazing thing I have ever eaten. Makes the top 3 restaurant dishes I have ever eaten, and I have eaten all over this country and the world.

I loved how casual Mt Pleasant is. We lived in a 2 BR / 2 BA apartment, just off the main drag (Johnnie Dodds) where the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are located. At least once or twice a week, we would drive down to the beach on Isle of Palms for long walks at dusk (we were not beach people - sun worshipers - otherwise). From our apartment to the beach was under 15 mins.

Probably our favorite place we have ever lived. Doggone it, if I were to ever backtrack to a place previously lived, it would definitely be Mount Pleasant.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:54 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
It seems like thousands of Chicago natives have moved to Nashville they love it here, they come in droves. I am not complaining Chicago women are cool.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
It seems like thousands of Chicago natives have moved to Nashville they love it here, they come in droves. I am not complaining Chicago women are cool.
Too hot and overpriced! Nashville, not Chicago women.

Although Chicago women are hot too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs