Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Too hot and overpriced! Nashville, not Chicago women.

Although Chicago women are hot too!
We do not have need anymore Chicago people they are coming in droves every week I met a few people from Chicago that moved here, tell them to stay a bit.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:54 PM

186 posts, read 243,063 times
We moved from Illinois last month to the St. Louis suburbs. We had to move due to my husbands job. so far so good, looks like we got out just in time!

Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I am from Florida originally and even though it has no income tax, it is not a cheap state by any means. Florida has above average property taxes, the highest homeowner's insurance rates, top ten auto insurance rates, above average utility rates, and the wages are much lower than you'd find in other states. Most of the larger cities have brutal traffic as well with toll roads and express lanes.

Florida also has additional taxation for newer communities to build the infrastructure there, which can double the property tax of a particular home. In some neighborhoods you'll pay $3000-4000 in CDDs on top of your normal property tax.
We have been splitting our time between the Chicago area and the Fort Myers area for the past 6 years. Still Illinois residents but close to flipping the switch on residency depending on what comes out of Springfield, if anything. We find that housing is much cheaper in SWFL as are real estate taxes when compared to suburban Chicago. Our FL house on the same kind of lot with the same amenities would cost more than double up here and our RE taxes are a third of what we pay up here. Homeowners insurance is cheaper in FL but what gets you is the separate hurricane coverage. That doubles our insurance bill. Auto rates are certainly higher in FL. Crazy higher. We find that electric rates are cheaper in FL (FPL) but water is higher. We are in a CDD community but it is not that bad - about $600. Someone has to build and maintain the roads and infrastructure so if not a CDD then it would be some government entity be it city, county, or state and would be reflected in some other tax. Combined property tax plus CDD is still well below Lake County IL. About a third of what we pay here. No income tax and a 6% sales tax is a huge savings on top of the real estate tax savings which overwhelms the higher insurance costs. The area is like an upscale suburb around here but is not walkable at all. Kind of like Buffalo Grove where we live up here. Schools really suck though. Can't hold a candle to what we have in suburban Chicago. Families really do need to think twice before moving down there. We would have never moved down there when our kids were in school.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 PM

335 posts, read 334,041 times
Moving to alpharetta Georgia next week. You couldn't pay me to stay in IL... It's a sinking ship. We're beyond excited to get outta here!

Old 06-28-2017, 01:06 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
the nearby states are the easiest to move to:

The Border War: How Illinois is losing out to surrounding states | WGN-TV

Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Moving to alpharetta Georgia next week. You couldn't pay me to stay in IL... It's a sinking ship. We're beyond excited to get outta here!
Good luck with the move. A cross country move is a real pita! Here are your best bets for a Chicago food fix.

http://marietta.aureliospizza.com/zg...ntro/index.jsp

BobbyG's Chicago Eatery

There's also a small Nancy's pizza franchise in Atlanta, but it's in midtown.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 AM

3,068 posts, read 2,395,814 times
I see a lot of Illinois plates here in Indianapolis. Carmel (a suburb to the north) has been voted Best Place to Live in the US (it IS very nice) and it's a three-hour drive from Chicago.

I'm originally from Denver. Left because of the price of housing. Unless you're really into the mountains or have a raging case of seasonal affective disorder, I'm not sure what you get for your money there that you can't get in other cities of the same size.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I notice that Indiana and Wisconsin are both ranked pretty well for cost of living, cost of housing in relation to salary, and a lot of other things. I know a lot of people's argument is cheap places are cheap because they suck or there's nothing to do there. That said you can live in another state near the border if you want and still have access to Ohare, Chicago, familiy ties, etc.

Personally for me the only place nearby that really appeals to me is SW Michigan but I'm worried it would turn into a ghost town after summer and really if I'm going to move it's going to be to make a big change, not just a state away.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:24 AM

119 posts, read 154,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I notice that Indiana and Wisconsin are both ranked pretty well for cost of living, cost of housing in relation to salary, and a lot of other things. I know a lot of people's argument is cheap places are cheap because they suck or there's nothing to do there. That said you can live in another state near the border if you want and still have access to Ohare, Chicago, familiy ties, etc.

Personally for me the only place nearby that really appeals to me is SW Michigan but I'm worried it would turn into a ghost town after summer and really if I'm going to move it's going to be to make a big change, not just a state away.

I used to go up all the way to Traverse City and stop in all the small towns selling home decor products to local retailers along the Lake Michigan coast. A lot of towns are ghost towns outside of the summer season of Memorial Day - Labor Day and even during the week some towns were pretty quiet. Exceptions to this I felt were Holland-Zeeland, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, and Benton Harbor-St Joe but those are more populated areas not primarily focused on tourism.

Oh and hope you like snow, cuz they get way more!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM

335 posts, read 334,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Good luck with the move. A cross country move is a real pita! Here are your best bets for a Chicago food fix.

http://marietta.aureliospizza.com/zg...ntro/index.jsp

BobbyG's Chicago Eatery

There's also a small Nancy's pizza franchise in Atlanta, but it's in midtown.
Thank you! It is a huge pain, I agree. So much planning my head is spinning. I worry about the pizza situation and my Francesca's addiction. There's a Francesca's in Raleigh. Planning a trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs