Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 AM

210 posts, read 565,377 times

Advertisements

I am a year away from graduating with my BA. I then hope to find a job in another state and relocate, at least for a few years. Family may bring me back to Illinois, otherwise, I do not like the corruption, lack of a budget, high public university tuition, rude/impatient people, and cold weather. I am looking into Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and maybe Florida or Texas.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:49 AM

1,874 posts, read 817,527 times
yes, looking at TX in the not-too-distant future. A significant inc tax increase might speed up the process.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
When I look on Zillow and other sites I see houses for like 200k and 300k with property taxes under $1,000.I know those sites aren't always 100% accurate but that seems odd you say property taxes are high?
Florida caps taxes to 3% increase if you have an exemption, so you can't really base it on what a current owner pays if he has owned it for 20 years. There are additional exemptions for different classes of people. You would not know that by Zillow, but they also cap the property taxes. Florida assessed value tends to be around 80% of market value for new owners. Mills are capped by the state constitution, but counties and cities can add on services/fees through the tax structure. All school districts are countywide.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:58 PM

123 posts, read 119,721 times
I have been thinking about moving to the south for three years I lived in san diego and hawaii for four years they are lovley but to expensive. I have my eyes set on tampa but they have a sink hole problem so looking an hour south of tampa where they have less sink holes. I really love being by the ocean. I looked at ashville, NC and it was great but no ocean. Savanaha GA was ice but crime problem and the beach was not great.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
I have been thinking about moving to the south for three years I lived in san diego and hawaii for four years they are lovley but to expensive. I have my eyes set on tampa but they have a sink hole problem so looking an hour south of tampa where they have less sink holes. I really love being by the ocean. I looked at ashville, NC and it was great but no ocean. Savanaha GA was ice but crime problem and the beach was not great.
That's funny you said Tampa, I had been pricing out some houses on Zillow in Tampa recently. I know Florida as a whole has a sinkhole problem but didn't realize Tampa was especially bad. Im' sure my cahnces of being swalled up by a sinkhole are worse than my winning the lottery but honestly that kinda freaks me out lol

Old 07-04-2017, 04:09 AM

34 posts, read 35,803 times
I received the 2nd installment of my Cook County property tax bill in the mail a few days ago...my property taxes are up 29% over last year. Now it looks like the legislature may be increasing income tax rates again. The only thing keeping me in the Chicago area is the need to stay within a reasonable drive of my elderly father who has had some health issues in recent years.

Once my dad is no longer around, I am moving out of the Chicago area. I really like the central Florida area, and will most likely move to a 55+ community which I have been researching and have visited several times. Does anyone wonder why more than 37,000 people moved out of Illinois last year, and the trend of moving out of Illinois will probably continue, according to a recent article published in the Chicago Tribune.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
We left last year to NW Indiana! My property taxes in Illinois were insane! Indiana caps property taxes at 1% of assessed property value. Now that Illinois passed the income tax increase we might be looking for jobs here as well! For an income of $100k you're looking at paying more than $1300 extra in taxes. They also raised commercial taxes which might prompt businesses to leave as well! How much do they expect people to put up with? So glad we left and only wished we did it sooner!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:13 AM

376 posts, read 488,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
We left last year to NW Indiana! My property taxes in Illinois were insane! Indiana caps property taxes at 1% of assessed property value. Now that Illinois passed the income tax increase we might be looking for jobs here as well! For an income of $100k you're looking at paying more than $1300 extra in taxes. They also raised commercial taxes which might prompt businesses to leave as well! How much do they expect people to put up with? So glad we left and only wished we did it sooner!
I am seriously starting to think about emulating you.. Now have to convince multiple family members that the extra commute (to Wheaton/Lombard) is worth it.. one of my friends in Munster says that he is starting to get an awful lot of inquiries from his Illinois/based friends

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
I am seriously starting to think about emulating you.. Now have to convince multiple family members that the extra commute (to Wheaton/Lombard) is worth it.. one of my friends in Munster says that he is starting to get an awful lot of inquiries from his Illinois/based friends

Oh it's worth it!! My property taxes went from almost $11k to $3k! And I'm not missing anything here. All the stores and restaurants you can imaging and still only 30 miles from downtown Chicago. Munster has the best schools in NW Indiana rated a 10! They also have a fantastic park district! Home / Town of Munster, IN Another good option is St. John or Dyer! https://www.stjohnin.com/ Town of Dyer > Home

Old 07-07-2017, 08:51 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
While doable that would be a pretty miserable communute, not sure how long that's sustainable before you burn out. YOu could while doing that start looking for a job in Indiana or at least the south suburbs to lessen the commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs