Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 01:34 PM

226 posts, read 148,210 times

Advertisements

joliet, aurora, and elgin dense suburbs. imo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 02:07 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Isn't the question self-explanatory? I mean, the reasons people moved to (created) the suburbs to begin with, is they were trying to get away from the density of the city, right? To not have to fight for street parking in the winter, to have yards and driveways and places for their kids to play somewhere other than the sidewalk and street, to decrease the density of traffic, etc..

Obviously, the poster who brought up the point about other cities having less open area to expand into is well taken. Chicagoland was pretty much wide-open, and probably why it spreads over such a large area - kind of like Dallas, right? But bottom line, if I viewed density as desirable, I'd just move back into the city, I wouldn't have to try and build a suburb to mimic it. After two months in lockdown, I'd like to own at least an acre going forward, maybe more, I'm on a "minimal" inner-ring suburban lot in my opinion (1/6 acre), I'd absolutely hate to live on less.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:15 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
I haven't spent much time in Elgin, but in Joliet and Aurora at least, once you're not in the older part of town, they're not very dense. I would guess being generous, they average out to be as dense as suburbs that border Chicago's city limits. The western part of Joliet is indistinguishable from Plainfield and Shorewood. Basically the entirety of Aurora that feeds into District 204 is indistinguishable from the western half of Naperville.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:29 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,408,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown202020 View Post
All three of those suburbs' recent growth, has pretty much entirely been due to sprawl.

That said, I do think all three of these cities have tons of potential for downtown growth in the future. All three are not in Cook county, all three have Metra train access, connecting it to the inner suburbs and city, and there is a historic layout/template there. I could see all three of Aurora, Elgin, and Joliet having an urban revolution in the future, hopefully.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:17 PM

617 posts, read 538,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I've been reading down the list of the most densely populated municipalities in the US, and I'm surprised that you don't find a single Chicago suburb until 37th on the list: Stone Park has 15,378.2 people per square mile, and that's only because of its small geographic area that excludes non-residential areas - it doesn't feel any denser than the surrounding neighborhoods of suburbs like Melrose Park and Northlake. The other suburbs on the list are, in descending order, Cicero, Berwyn, Elmwood Park, Oak Park, and Harwood Heights - all reasonably compact places, but not on the level of many incorporated places in the NYC area.

And it's not only NYC, but Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, Providence, and even Los Angeles and Louisville (widely known for being pretty sprawling areas) have suburbs that are denser than Chicago's densest suburbs. Why is it that there aren't any towns on, say, the north or west sides that are heavily built up with apartment complexes and reach densities like 20 or 30 thousand per square mile? Just statistical coincidence, or does it have something to do with zoning, or the towns being populated too slowly over time with immigrants to allow for the massive overbuilding you find in much of the inner NYC area? Or is it that geographically tiny towns (which represent much of the upper reaches of this list) have tended to be annexed by the city itself, whereas this doesn't happen as much in most major cities?

Thank God we don't. But I'd say most Chicago suburbs are pretty densely populated, even in areas where SFHs dominate, and it's due to tiny lot sizes. I wish we could be even more spread out.

High population density almost always means bad air and water quality, crime, noise, traffic jams and so on.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:29 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,314,617 times
Most suburbs are quite a distance from the city's core so they won't benefit from any residual density from being near downtown.

Also because theres not a natural barrier( ie, mountain range, or a body of water) which means you can build out instead of up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs