Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 PM

123 posts, read 119,721 times

Advertisements

What is the most dysfunctional backwards feel like your in Kentucky suburb of chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I've been in Kentucky several times and frankly most of the small towns are quite nice. The positive impact of folks involved with thoroughbred horses brings quite a bit of global wealth to some rather picturesque areas. Similarly the explosion of small scale distilleries has made various whiskey production a viable career path for many.

The towns in the Chicago region facing the most challenges are generally those that formerly had ties to traditional manufacturing and distribution with no real office employment. These sorts of areas have riddiculously high property taxes that are sadly often misspent by corrupt local officials leaving the towns utterly unable to provide the basic sorts of police services.
As Harvey suffers corruption, no one's stepping in to help - Chicago Tribune
Video shows Dixmoor mayor leaping at trustee during meeting - Daily Southtown

Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3goodmonths View Post
What is the most dysfunctional backwards feel like your in Kentucky suburb of chicago?
Illinois and anyone from Illinois has no business talking trash about any other state our state is a joke and a laughing stock and us idiots, well not all of us but a majority, keep voting for and allowing the same garbage politicians to run this state into the ground. I don't see Kentucky being compared to Venezuela

Old 06-29-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Illinois and anyone from Illinois has no business talking trash about any other state our state is a joke and a laughing stock and us idiots, well not all of us but a majority, keep voting for and allowing the same garbage politicians to run this state into the ground. I don't see Kentucky being compared to Venezuela
Points taken. I said the Kentucky thing because others have used kentucky as a stereotype for being backwords. For instance I have heard romeoville refered to as romeotucky.

I have family in kentucky and there are very nice towns like elizabethtown and there are some spooky towns where I actually ran into the KKK I am white but I could tell the knew I was city folk and I got out of where I was going real fast.

What suburbs would do better in kentucky than in illinois?

Old 06-29-2017, 06:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
I've noticed that when cities go downhill, corrupt officials get elected. Sometimes the decline is blamed on the corruption, when in reality the decline was well underway, the crooked politicians just made it worse. Perhaps, after all the sensible voters have fled, those left are fooled by the charlatans who promise to restore the town to greatness, when the only thing that improves is the wealth of the crooks.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:42 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
Most of the south suburbs are dysfunctional. There are some exceptions such as Homewood and Flossmoor. The ones closer to Chicago have hit really hard times and are rampant with poverty, police brutality/corruption and political corruption: Harvey, Markham, Dolton, Phoenix and Robbins.

The ones a little further south such as Matteson, Richton Park, Park Forest, Ford Heights and Chicago Heights have seen much better days. They have high property taxes, increasing violent crime, failed school systems among other detriments. Businesses have left those areas, people have fled for lower costs of living, less crime, better weather, less IL politics, etc.

I think Illinois would be a great state if it weren't for Chicago and the loonies that run Springfield.

The biggest hindrance to IL advancing right now is Mike Madigan.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:30 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Well, what do you mean by Kentucky? There are both liberal and conservative suburbs, and members of both groups that are economically well-off and destitute.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

my use of Kentucky was bad judgement and I apologize i think it tainted this thread.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Well, what do you mean by Kentucky? There are both liberal and conservative suburbs, and members of both groups that are economically well-off and destitute.
Yep. OP sounds like someone who hasn't traveled very much.

I know people from Chicagoland who have never really set foot outside of the Chicagoland area. Northwest Indiana doesn't count.

There are very few, if any, states where you can generalize the entire state. When I lived in Texas, people would say Texas this or Texas that. The major cities in Texas have their own different cultures, climates, economies, etc. El Paso is nothing like Houston or Dallas.

Just like in Illinois when you leave the Chicagoland area, it's very different. The rest of Illinois is very rural where farming is a huge part of their economies.

When I first moved to Oklahoma years ago, a friend said to me, "ugh. What's in Oklahoma?" This is coming from someone who had barely been out of the Chicagoland area at more than 40 years old.

If you're going to form an opinion on other places, at least make sure you've visited those other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs