Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 02:14 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times

Advertisements

First of all, this seems like the kind of thread that may be against some rule or another, so I'm fine if it's deleted, and just to clarify, I'm not looking for professional legal advice, just regular advice. I've never dealt with this stuff before.

Anyway, I was driving in the west suburbs, and I was waiting to turn left at a light, so I had already pulled substantially into the intersection. There was a lot of traffic, so I didn't have a chance to make the left while the light was still green, or even yellow. It had actually been red for a second or two before I got to turn left, and I'm worried that I technically just ran a red light.

I don't remember seeing a "Red Light Photo Enforced" sign, which some intersections have, or a large and conspicuous camera. There were no cops nearby, and no one was in any danger. However, for reasons I'd rather not get into, I really don't want a ticket (and it's not about the money), but if I do get one, I'd rather just pay it and get it dealt with as quickly as possible instead of trying to fight it.

How much are the fees, generally, for traffic tickets like what I've described, in the Chicago area? And what are the chances, roughly, that I got one? Also, how long do they take to arrive?

Edit: Because I'm paranoid, I just looked up the intersection it happened at on Google Maps and went into Street View. I don't see a camera (unless they're well hidden) or a "Red Light Photo Enforced" sign on any of the four sides of it. That makes me feel a little better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 02:26 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The "red light cameras" are NOT MOVING VIOLATIONS in Illinois. You will likely get a ticket that is just as fine, like if you had a parking meter expire. The fee can be high (I think max is $200) because the towns split the dough with the crook firms that set up the cameras. Some towns will have a sort of "hearing panel" with a retired cop and maybe a former mayor look at the video and listen to your explanation -- they might cut an old lady some slack.

It is basically a way to shake some cash out of people that are easy marks.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Well, I recently got one in Chicago. It was a $60 ticket and came about 3 weeks after the event. I paid it online and it was a total non-event. I probably could have made a case for going through the intersection as the road was very icy, but whatever, that just didn't seem worth the time.

There are not that many red light cameras in the western suburbs, so you may be fine.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:35 PM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
Depends what western suburb.

Berwyn, North Riverside, Forest Park and Hillside have some very notorious and profitable cameras.

I think Oak Brook Terrace are now installing cameras from the same firm that runs the cameras in the towns above.

What intersection was it OP?

I think if you are already in the intersection when the light turns green you may be safe from a red light camera.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Depends what western suburb.

Berwyn, North Riverside, Forest Park and Hillside have some very notorious and profitable cameras.

I think Oak Brook Terrace are now installing cameras from the same firm that runs the cameras in the towns above.

What intersection was it OP?

I think if you are already in the intersection when the light turns green you may be safe from a red light camera.
It was in Norridge, on the corner of Lawrence and Cumberland.

Are the only cameras they use the obvious ones that look like this, or do some suburbs have them in very hidden spots? Again, none of the sides of this intersection had a "Red Light Photo Enforced" sign, if that matters.

Old 06-30-2017, 04:44 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

(k) An intersection equipped with an automated traffic law enforcement system must be posted with a sign visible to approaching traffic indicating that the intersection is being monitored by an automated traffic law enforcement syste

Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
First of all, this seems like the kind of thread that may be against some rule or another, so I'm fine if it's deleted, and just to clarify, I'm not looking for professional legal advice, just regular advice. I've never dealt with this stuff before.

Anyway, I was driving in the west suburbs, and I was waiting to turn left at a light, so I had already pulled substantially into the intersection. There was a lot of traffic, so I didn't have a chance to make the left while the light was still green, or even yellow. It had actually been red for a second or two before I got to turn left, and I'm worried that I technically just ran a red light.

I don't remember seeing a "Red Light Photo Enforced" sign, which some intersections have, or a large and conspicuous camera. There were no cops nearby, and no one was in any danger. However, for reasons I'd rather not get into, I really don't want a ticket (and it's not about the money), but if I do get one, I'd rather just pay it and get it dealt with as quickly as possible instead of trying to fight it.

How much are the fees, generally, for traffic tickets like what I've described, in the Chicago area? And what are the chances, roughly, that I got one? Also, how long do they take to arrive?

Edit: Because I'm paranoid, I just looked up the intersection it happened at on Google Maps and went into Street View. I don't see a camera (unless they're well hidden) or a "Red Light Photo Enforced" sign on any of the four sides of it. That makes me feel a little better.
Funny you made such a post, since I had a similar thing occur to me a few months back at one intersection in Chicago. The front tires of my car had stopped a little bit past the white line, but not the crosswalk. Unfortunately not many seconds later, I saw the f-ing annoying red light camera flash, and I thought for sure I had a ticket. For whatever reason(I guess whoever reviews the photos felt pity for me?), the ticket letter never came in the mail to me, unlike what I was fearing.

So maybe you'll get lucky(like me), if the only crime you did was have the front tires of your car go past the white stop line at a red light camera intersection? Good luck to you, and I hope you don't have to pay one of those stupid camera fines!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:31 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
I used to live in Illinois and I think the fine depends on the town. My husband got one last year driving my car so it came in my name a few weeks later. It was $100. We actually remembered the intersection because we were coming home from a friends that night. Came to an intersection, stopped and turned right. The red light camera tickets are almost IMPOSSIBLE to fight and that is why it's such a scam! As another poster stated, it's only a fine, not a violation but if you don't pay right away the fine will continue to go up!

Old 07-16-2017, 12:46 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
You are in for a guaranteed loss of $100 and no other consequences, not for insurance or anything else.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Oh, update: It's been a few weeks and nothing's happened, so I guess I'm in the clear. Whew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs