Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:50 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I appreciate Bru's suggestion of NWI from what I know of electoral politics there is not much chance of finding liberals except maybe in Miller Beach east of Gary...
Chet, don't derail my sales pitch here ;-). Maybe not now though it would be a wonderful time to start. Make Indiana Progressive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 PM

817 posts, read 921,551 times
Try looking at a precinct map from the 2016 election. Not all blue is truly liberal, but it will give you a starting point. Then look at income maps from the "data" side of C-D. Then see if intersecting areas fit your budget.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:33 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,457 times
If you're liberal and vote democrat please move out of IL...you're killing the rest of us.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:12 AM

748 posts, read 832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
If you're liberal and vote democrat please move out of IL...you're killing the rest of us.
Acutally, quite literally, if you support those championing the repeal of the ACA, then you are actually killing the rest of us.

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52752

Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Acutally, quite literally, if you support those championing the repeal of the ACA, then you are actually killing the rest of us.

I know right? It's amazing that Americans were able to live from 1783 to 2010 without it! Make out your wills everybody, we're all goners.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM

748 posts, read 832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I know right? It's amazing that Americans were able to live from 1783 to 2010 without it! Make out your wills everybody, we're all goners.
I'm certain that we could argue this all day and not change each others' opinions. It is also striking that quality of life increases, and that overall contributions to society are bettered by those with access to health insurance. Recent, reputable studies have found that the ACA fore-runner in MA did increase life expectancy: Changes in Mortality After Massachusetts Health Care Reform | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians.

Anyway - this is off topic. With regard to affordable, liberal suburbs, you can look at this info in the C-D filters on this site. As Chet said, Oak Park and Evanston aren't really affordable. Perhaps some areas that are higher represented by minority populations would be more affordable suburbs (if that's what the OP is looking for).

Old 07-12-2017, 12:55 PM

1,067 posts, read 914,457 times
Quote:

I love affordable healthcare. I'm a republican for universal healthcare or some iteration of everyone paying something into a universal plan. Only problem is I'm taxed to death everywhere else in Illinois so I can't really afford anything. Wait until the $200 billion pension invoices start rolling in...

Democrats in Illinois typically provide a benefit...with no way to pay for it.

Last edited by dtcbnd03; 07-12-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 01:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
I'm certain that we could argue this all day and not change each others' opinions. It is also striking that quality of life increases, and that overall contributions to society are bettered by those with access to health insurance. Recent, reputable studies have found that the ACA fore-runner in MA did increase life expectancy: Changes in Mortality After Massachusetts Health Care Reform | Annals of Internal Medicine | American College of Physicians.

Anyway - this is off topic. With regard to affordable, liberal suburbs, you can look at this info in the C-D filters on this site. As Chet said, Oak Park and Evanston aren't really affordable. Perhaps some areas that are higher represented by minority populations would be more affordable suburbs (if that's what the OP is looking for).
Why are going down the affordability route? The OP already said he has ~$700K to spend on housing. He can afford either Evanston or Oak Park. Frankly rather easily.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:

Ok, back to topic. Truthfully, I cannot think of any liberal suburbs which would be what most of us would consider "affordable." Berwyn definitely has a growing contingent of young liberals, though they are a minority in the larger whole of predominantly Hispanic families, who largely vote Democrat but are not liberal.

Interestingly, "liberal" and "affordable" do not go hand in hand, for whatever reason.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Ok, back to topic. Truthfully, I cannot think of any liberal suburbs which would be what most of us would consider "affordable." Berwyn definitely has a growing contingent of young liberals, though they are a minority in the larger whole of predominantly Hispanic families, who largely vote Democrat but are not liberal.

Interestingly, "liberal" and "affordable" do not go hand in hand, for whatever reason.
Nothing to see here, folks.

The context is the OP's housing budget, unless he reappears and indicates otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs