Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 13,209 times

Advertisements

I am a senior mortgage officer in southern wisconsin and live in Illinois. You will get a lot more home for your money, have wonderful schools, better roads
and no tax on food. Property taxes are also known to be less than lake county illinois with a few exceptions. As your wife will be in Lake Forest-there are many great areas that are in the "country" and yet close to the toll way.
I would recommend Brighton, Silver Lake, Salem, Trevor and pleasant prarie-in that order.For a little more of a commute look at twin lakes. There are many properties for sale and it is a buyers market now-be sure you have a great wisconsin licensed realtor and mortgage officer-you can get some great deals now-with favorable financing working with the right people.

Last edited by mdz; 07-12-2007 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: can't advertise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,559,765 times
Have you checked into Libertyville? Easy commute to Lake Forest,good schools,commute by train to Chicago,lots of housing options.I sure would pick this over Winthrop Harbor or Pleasant Prairie,which I dont find very pleasant at all

Old 07-14-2007, 11:55 PM

18 posts, read 62,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Su G View Post
I am a senior mortgage officer in southern wisconsin and live in Illinois. You will get a lot more home for your money, have wonderful schools, better roads
and no tax on food. Property taxes are also known to be less than lake county illinois with a few exceptions. As your wife will be in Lake Forest-there are many great areas that are in the "country" and yet close to the toll way.
I would recommend Brighton, Silver Lake, Salem, Trevor and pleasant prarie-in that order.For a little more of a commute look at twin lakes. There are many properties for sale and it is a buyers market now-be sure you have a great wisconsin licensed realtor and mortgage officer-you can get some great deals now-with favorable financing working with the right people.
Depending on income level, Wisconsin could hurt. Income tax is higher, though other costs are lower.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:20 AM

198 posts, read 819,443 times
I just placed a buyer in the Warren County (Gurnee schools) area of Wadsworth in the Midlane Country Club area. There are different sections of homes and townhomes surrounding two golf courses (one public, on private). They are building new homes in the 300's and townhomes in the 200's. You can get a better deal by buying an existing home or townhome like my buyer did (3BR 2.1Ba townhome on the golf course just under 200K). I heard from a relative that the Grayslake school district is experiencing financial problems due to all the growth - hopefully that would be resolved by the time your kids were ready for school. When I was working with a client I asked where he would buy given my client's budget and work location and my relative turned both of us on to the MidLane (his company has their Christmas parties at the restaurant located by the onsite hotel there). My client works in Lake Bluff and the commute to the Midlane was almost 1/2 what it would be to commute to the Grayslake area he was also considering (traffic on 120 is really bad). We had our inspection at 5:30 on a Friday and he left his office shortly after 5pm and got there in 15 minutes. There are times that construction and traffic lengthen the trip to 25 minutes. Let me know if you want any other information about the Midlane area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs