Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:58 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cohen View Post
Thanks guys. I think that because he is not Jewish, he doesn't want an overwhelming Jewish area but also not a overwhelming not Jewish (like Wheaton). So it sounds like in that regard both Downer Grove and Palatine will be the same...

If anyone else has more info, please share.
Wheaton and Downers are both more desirable than Palatine, and the west suburban region probably ranks higher (IMO) on economic health than its northwest neighbor. Wheaton's reputation stems from the college, but the reality is that it's just as diverse as Downers or Palatine. Within Wheaton there's a sikh temple, mosque, the Theosophical Society in America (Baha'i), a new age convent, etc. A Jewish family would not be out of place in Wheaton or any of the other towns mentioned. Congregation Etz Chaim is nearby in Lombard, and Congregation Beth Shalom is in neighboring Naperville. Rabbi Steven Bob of Etz Chaim is a faculty member at Wheaton College and leads some interfaith stuff in and around Wheaton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:23 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cohen View Post
Thanks guys. I think that because he is not Jewish, he doesn't want an overwhelming Jewish area but also not a overwhelming not Jewish (like Wheaton). So it sounds like in that regard both Downer Grove and Palatine will be the same...

If anyone else has more info, please share.
We have lived on the Lake County side of BG for 30 years and are not Jewish. No issues whatsoever fitting in - us or our kids going through District 96 and then Stevenson. The Lake County side of BG is now about 25% Asian - mostly families drawn to Stevenson. The Jewish population, while still substantial, is nowhere near what it was even 10 or 15 years ago. Many mixed Jewish/Christian families. There is also a significant Russian and Ukrainian population in BG as well. St. Marys was, and maybe still is, the largest Catholic parish in the NW suburbs. So I don't see any one group dominating. It really is easy to fit in, in BG.

Someone mentioned traffic between BG and Palatine. It is not normally that bad. But traffic between BG and Wheaton or Downers Grove would be a nightmare during rush hour, especially if it snows. Southbound I94/294 and Route 53/I355 are regularly jammed up southbound in the evening rush.

Deerfield might be another place to look that could fit your needs.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:04 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
By horrendous, I meant very tedious, not long. On multiple occasions, it took me 40 minutes to move 5 miles, because of bumper-to-bumper traffic in that area. (I later learned to cut through side streets that didn't have "no thru traffic" signs, which helped.) If that's not horrendous in your mind, then I rest my case.
I know someone who got a ticket on one of those "no thru traffic" streets even while visiting someone in that neighborhood. But I know a few Jews living in Palatine, many more living in BG.

Last edited by pvande55; 08-05-2017 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Add line

Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 AM

190 posts, read 405,151 times
We are right on the border of Lake Zurich and Kildeer and we have a fairly decent Jewish population. On our street alone I know of 4 Jewish families. So, while not overwhelming there is a definitely a presence. I am close to Buffalo Grove and am there often, less than 10 mins away.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
NW burbs suck for being heavily Jewish. Except Buffalo Grove but it's sort of a transitional Northwest to North Shore suburb. Big Ashkenazi population.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
NW burbs suck for being heavily Jewish. Except Buffalo Grove but it's sort of a transitional Northwest to North Shore suburb. Big Ashkenazi population.
I don't know if you just posted in a hurry or intended that first sentence to sound spiteful(?)

Could you re-phrase that?

Cheers

Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 AM

17 posts, read 22,165 times
Quote:
I didn't understand. They have too little Jews or too many?

Old 08-22-2017, 11:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Sorry I was writing that in a hurry. The Northwest suburbs are not very representative of Jewish people so therefore look to Buffalo Grove or even the North Shore. Those have more Jews.

Tfw people are just looking to be triggered.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Sorry I was writing that in a hurry. The Northwest suburbs are not very representative of Jewish people so therefore look to Buffalo Grove or even the North Shore. Those have more Jews.

Tfw people are just looking to be triggered.
ROTFL

Yeah, that's it

Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Skip Wheaton or the DuPage county suburbs. Too Far away for commuting. Look to the area around Buffalo grove and the surrounding suburbs that are easy commuting distance. You might look at Arlington Heights, Mt. Prospect, etc. There are some Jewish people living there but not of course that many. You might also look at Glenview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs