Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 45,791 times

Advertisements

I desperately need to get my driving license in a week time. I was wondering what is the easiest DMV to go to? Which one does not require parallel park? I have an option between Schaumburg, Elston, and Des Plaines. I've been driving without anyone and its gone smoothly except for parking, all forms of parking I can't do. In regular parking I always have to reverse as I don't go in the line the first time and steering confused me. If anyone can tell me the steering for parking I would greatly appreciate it! I've also never been taught how to park on a curb. Which is the easiest DMV that will pass me? I've veen driving by my self for a little, and feel confident about everything except parking. Please help, I'm in desperate need for my license!
And if anyone can tell me the road route for either it wouls be a tremendous help!
Please I'm begging you, I'm so nervous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:51 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,390,609 times
Don't want you killing anyone but it's not my call, try the Melrose Park location
1903 Mannheim rd.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:53 AM

I'm actually decent, just can't park. I make sure to always park when no cars surrounding me at first. Thank you!

Old 08-19-2017, 08:10 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypo View Post
I'm actually decent, just can't park. I make sure to always park when no cars surrounding me at first. Thank you!
Ridiculous. If you can't safely park, no license!

Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Make sure you stop before the crosswalk markings and put your turn signal on even if you are parking or automatic failure. I'd go out to Naperville. I can't recall them requiring parallel parking. My mom passed her test even at 86 years old. I don't think she knew how to park like that.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 PM

529 posts, read 646,945 times
Keep practicing parking and you'll get it eventually.

This attitude of 'I don't know the answers, where can I go to cheat the system' is enraging.

I'd recommend Schaumburg for the quickness of the customer service. In my experience, Elston takes forever...as does Lombard. I was at Lombard this past Thursday to renew my license including written and eye test. I walked in at 1pm and left shortly after 3.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Keep practicing parking and you'll get it eventually.

This attitude of 'I don't know the answers, where can I go to cheat the system' is enraging.

I'd recommend Schaumburg for the quickness of the customer service. In my experience, Elston takes forever...as does Lombard. I was at Lombard this past Thursday to renew my license including written and eye test. I walked in at 1pm and left shortly after 3.
How is this cheating the system? Cheating the system would be doing what I've been doing, driving without a license. Does Schaumbarg require parallel parking?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Make sure you stop before the crosswalk markings and put your turn signal on even if you are parking or automatic failure. I'd go out to Naperville. I can't recall them requiring parallel parking. My mom passed her test even at 86 years old. I don't think she knew how to park like that.
Thank you!!!

Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Ridiculous. If you can't safely park, no license!
I've got to agree with this.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:29 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Chicago North (5401 N Elston) is very easy, in my opinion. Much easier than most suburban ones. Streets in the Forest Glen neighborhood are just four lanes wide, with two of them being parking lanes. The speed limit is quite low, which eliminates sudden maneuvers, an easy fail more many people. I don't even remember having to do lane changes, although pulling in and out of parallel parking is similar. That said, we're not in the sprawling Sun Belt. Parallel parking is a must in Chicago. Learn it!

I do remember these major components, which may or may not be unique to Chicago North.
1. Adjusting your seat and checking your mirrors before shifting into drive. Do it, or lose points.
2. "The box". It's when you go in and out of a two-car-sized painted square. It's supposed to simulate using a garage.
3. Uphill/downhill parking. You parallel-park as usual, and you rotate your wheels as specified in the "Rules of the Road" book.
4. Signal usage. Absolute must.
5. Light/normal/hard turns. (Some streets on the test route cross at non-right angles.) I did my test before universal airbags, so I still had to steer hand-over-hand, not shuffling my hands along the circumference, like today.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-20-2017 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs