Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:33 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,148,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The old timers that make me look like a kid remember that back when Prohibition was repealed Westmont was quick to openly embrace the sales of liquor and that earned it the nickname of "WET-mont"...

Several other towns hung on to various restrictions well into the 1980s or later, Hinsdale and other towns tried to ensure that all the places that served / sold even wine were primarily "eating establishments" but since wine is now a big high profile business there are several shops in town.

Willowbrook is not "rougher" by any stretch, if anything the pressure for home builders to construct larger homes is attracting folks priced out of Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale. Once upon a time Willowbrook was kind of a town that "time forgot" with a sad shuttered K-Mart across from a bowling alley that Ditka was a partner in prior to coming into fame as the Bear's Superbowl coach. There just not much else for decades. They've replaced that site with a shiny new Pete's Fresh Market and an entire complement of nicer quick service restaurants that attract crowds from all the nearby areas. While it is not a desirable as towns along the BNSF there are lots of pluses!
I was merely referring to current day per the thread topic, but the historical tidbits are interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 21,310 times
I agree, interesting Chet, thanks for sharing.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 AM

768 posts, read 1,092,111 times
Chet, As a out if state transplant --- i believe many IL towns still hold on to these outdated restrictions and hurt themselves. Based on theses dated ordinances (old leadership afraid of change IMO) Chicago burbs still in many cases are far behind and operate backwards compared to desirable towns in other parts of the US who embrace a well executed expensive bar that draws the right classy crowd.

I will never forget my oak park experience here and the dry pride (just 3y ago) that made us run for the hills...

A classy wine bar, hip brewery/distillery, or nice martini bar cannot exist in many towns here - it just makes no senses to most of us who lived out of state in other nice towns: Example 60/40 food to alcohol rule...

Last edited by JJski; 09-22-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 21,310 times
Default Like what?

Indiana Blue Laws?

Don't even talk to me about my Sunday morning jaunts to Michigan to get liquor.

Illinois is far and away a better place for the imbiber.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:52 PM

203 posts, read 383,680 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the parts of Aurora that are in DuPage County and District 204. D204 has a good reputation and strong test scores. Aurora is a city in its own right, with a core that is decidedly urban. However, the DuPage County sections feel suburban and are generally clean and safe. If anything, they're too suburban. They're largely Sunbelt-style development where almost nobody walks. There is a Metra station on Route 59, although you probably have to drive to it, and parking reportedly fills up early. Is there some other catch I'm unaware of?

Wheaton skews upscale, but there are some relatively affordable homes as well. The vast majority of Wheaton feeds into District 200, which again has a good reputation and strong test scores.

Some unincorporated areas just outside Wheaton are in District 200. Homes in these areas are often cheaper than in Wheaton proper. Some of these areas have a semi-rural and/or blue collar vibe.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:09 AM

203 posts, read 383,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpa22 View Post
I think everyone should develop their own criteria based on the needs and path of their children.
This has merit. Some schools are stronger in specific subject areas, specific extracurriculars, etc.

Quote:
2) colleges students attend (I specifically look at if the school is a good feeder into UIUC and if any kids whatsoever get into Ivy's.
I'd largely agree with this if and only if it were broadened to consider all highly regarded universities. (Obviously, that's more work. But more work is sometimes unavoidable if you want to see what's really happening.)

Many students who could have been admitted to UIUC choose private or out-of-state public universities instead. This is for numerous reasons. Especially, some suburbs have an unusually high number of families who prefer Christian universities. Some students, especially those who are less interested in partying, prefer the overall environment at other universities. For these reasons, admissibility to UIUC is a dubious proxy for admissibility to top tier universities.

Anywhere in the Midwest, students are often going to choose Midwestern Ivy peers like Northwestern, the University of Chicago, or Notre Dame over the actual Ivies. So looking at literal Ivy League schools is also problematic.

Also, students from less well-off backgrounds may have to choose weaker universities than they could have gotten into if money were no object. Such students may need to choose from among the schools which are within commuting distance of home. They may need to avail themselves of merit aid awarded due to being at the top of the applicant pool. They may choose to start at a community college. This is an especially appealing option at high schools which feed into the College of DuPage, which is one of the top community colleges in the nation. COD also has an Honors Program which is suitable even for students who are top tier university material.

Where UIUC-related data are potentially interesting is that UIUC publishes average GPA's by high school.

Quote:
I personally went to a school where the average ACT was around 22-23; at this scoring level, approximately half of the students seemed disinterested in academics as they were planning on becoming fireman or other city workers (not that there is anything wrong with that path).
Is this half of students in advanced, Honors, AP, etc., classes? Or is this half of students overall? In the latter case, I'd actually say that's relatively good. Many people are simply not academically inclined. Many people do the minimum required to attain their goals in life.

Also, was this in CPS? Striving to work for a municipal government isn't as common in the suburbs.

Last edited by IAmEverywhere; 10-02-2017 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Added details

Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 AM

196 posts, read 297,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmEverywhere View Post
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the parts of Aurora that are in DuPage County and District 204.
Probably because housing prices in these sections are not dissimilar from Naperville proper, and RE taxes actually end up being higher... so from the "value" standpoint, not really a win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs