Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,976 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are looking to move in together. He works in Deerfield and I will work in Highland Park. We're looking for a neighborhood that has a thriving art scene (my partner is a musician) and more of an urban feel than Highland Park or Deerfield. We're focused on Rogers Park and Evanston. Does one have advantages over the other? Are there particular areas to check out or avoid? I'm leaning toward Evanston because it's cheaper than living within Chicago city limits.
We also have 2 cars. Will it be impossible to find a rental with 2 parking spaces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 08:12 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Comparing Rogers Park and Evanston is comparing communities that are not comparable. The fact that your spouse/partner will need a vehicle for transport to Deerfield would tip the balance strongly in favor of Evanston, in my opinion. I would try to look for something to the Northwest part of Evanston to cut down on the commute. The downside to Northwest Evanston is that you are further from the beaches, lakefront parks, Metra and L, and many of the historic homes that make Evanston so appealing. However, the Central Street shopping district and many of the residential streets surrounding it are among Evanston's best. Street parking in Evanston is generally easy. In some areas where parking is scarce, the spaces are permitted by the city. There are also many garage, lot, and carport spaces available for rent throughout Evanston. I would caution you on your analysis that Evanston is cheaper than living within the city limits. Rogers Park is certainly less expensive than Evanston.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Comparing Rogers Park and Evanston is comparing communities that are not comparable. The fact that your spouse/partner will need a vehicle for transport to Deerfield would tip the balance strongly in favor of Evanston, in my opinion. I would try to look for something to the Northwest part of Evanston to cut down on the commute. The downside to Northwest Evanston is that you are further from the beaches, lakefront parks, Metra and L, and many of the historic homes that make Evanston so appealing. However, the Central Street shopping district and many of the residential streets surrounding it are among Evanston's best. Street parking in Evanston is generally easy. In some areas where parking is scarce, the spaces are permitted by the city. There are also many garage, lot, and carport spaces available for rent throughout Evanston. I would caution you on your analysis that Evanston is cheaper than living within the city limits. Rogers Park is certainly less expensive than Evanston.
I agree with this. OP, why do you think Evanston is cheaper? In my experience, it is definitely not. It is nicer though.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
"generalizing" about any suburb or neighborhood is silly; there are plenty of high crime, gang infested areas of Evanston, and the same goes for Rogers park; there are also some very nice, high end areas of Evanston, and, some decent areas of Rogers Park, although Rogers Park has fallen off big time in the last few years, and its no where as nice as it was 20+ years ago..

If you can afford the decent areas of Evanston, that would definitely be better for you..

Old 09-24-2017, 11:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Parking would be a nuisance in Rogers Park. However, as a City resident you can get lower rates in several museums and you could apply for City jobs. Both are isolated areas, convenient to downtown and almost nowhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs