Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:26 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,915 times

Advertisements

I guess Rockford is "busted out" with too much unemployment... I met a guy, and he said there used to be a lot of manufacturing around Rockford in 1968. Today, it's not as great, I guess? I guess "People bust out each other and lower the unemployment rate... ya know... ???"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,584,562 times
I was there a couple summers ago for a music concert. I walked along the riverfront .. very nice.. The people there told me east of the Rock River is nice, but not the west. When I was trying to find the expressway to go home, I drove thru the west side, truly it does look beaten down, but I survived ok.

It may be true that the east side of the river is good, is that right, or does the west affect the east side of the river?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
Rockford gets a bad rep. It is nothing compared to some places near Chicago. Most areas are nice and quiet in Rockford, only places that are not great are Southside and Far Westside (lower income areas with foreclosures). Anything near Loves Park, Machesney Park and Cherry Valley are great. Downtown has transformed a lot and is still growing with many events during the summer, there is lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and bars, Rockford Brewing Company, Carlyle's Brewing. Any other questions feel free to ask me.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,055 times
Live down in Peoria & work for a hospital. Was looking at eventually moving to Rockford. Rockford sounds just like Peoria. Downtown Peoria is totally dead 7 days a week. Now looking at Evergreen Park.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:15 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
Evergreen Park, which has no downtown.

Good luck.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Similar to Waukegan a mix of decent and less decent areas. A lot of unemployment due to loss of manufacturing. Also high property taxes and without the amenities and jobs of Chicago there is nothing to ameliorate the exodus of residents and crash in real estate values.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:02 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,105 times
My husband lived in Rockford when we were dating, bought a 3 br 1 ba, 1 car garage with basement in a relatively safe area for $49k. There is actually a lot to do there, some good restaurants and Rock Cut State Park. The downtown really needs a revitalization. Except for a few good restaurants/bars and the kids museums which are great, there isn't much going on.

Also the employment situation seems to be hospitals, service industry, and education primarily. Hard to sustain an ecoonomy without manufacturing. I know a few companies went over the border to help with their costs/taxes.

THe housing situation is great for a buyer. I met a hair stylist whose husband works in Roselle and commutes to Rockford everyday. Most of the better schools are in the Rockton/Roscoe/South Beloit area and the housing is more affordable too/

Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,100 times
The Anderson Japanese Garden in Rockford is a great place to visit. We have been these several times and kids loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs