Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The 5th ward is the historical center of Evanston's black community. The 5th ward has already experienced a lot of changes. Over the years there has been an influx of resettled refugees, immigrants, pioneers of gentrification, and even Orthodox Jews who are often seen walking back and forth across the Emerson Street bridge on Saturday mornings. The absolute number of African-Americans in Evanston fell by -19.34% between 2000 and 2010, or more than 3000. I think that when you see town homes in the 5th ward selling for upwards of $600,000, something is afoot.

I wouldn't yet describe the 5th ward as a prime location, but I think that more and more families that aren't black are going to look at the area. While the 5th ward lacks its own neighborhood school, an issue that proved divisive about 5 years ago, the community is divided into multiple elementary school zones: Kingsley, Orrington, Willard, and Lincolnwood. All four of those schools are regarded as some of the best on the North Shore. I think the ability to live within those school zones will make the area attractive to those who find themselves priced out of the immediate area surrounding those schools. I think that as residents of the 5th ward continue to age, many of those properties will fall into the hands of pioneers. Currently, inventory in the 5th ward is exceptionally low, hindering that progress.

I don't think Evanston's reputation for diversity will change in the near future. By some metrics, Evanston is getting more diverse. However, if you choose to group whites and Asians into the same affluent block, the diversity outlook appears less promising. Asians are the fastest growing racial group, growing by 41.82% between 2000 and 2010. Hispanics and Latinos are also an expanding piece of the pie, but are roughly the same share as Asians at 9%. Evanston will always have some diversity due to the presence of Northwestern University.
Thanks for the the reply, Hiruko; very well explained. I was wondering: is there any other project that is as large as visible in west Evanston's redevelopment as the townhouse development due east of ETHS off Church, a couple blocks east of Dodge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
The current relationship between NU and EV is light years better than it used to be. The number of lawsuits between the two parties is a fraction of what they used to be. The current outreach by NU is quite good, but of course EV would prefer that NU pay even a small percentage of their property taxes, something like what Yale does in New Haven, CT. Payments in kind in no way can solve Evanston’s budget, or help them repair the damage caused by poor fiscal choices/management over the years. They really need to find a better way to meet in the middle IMNSHO.

Northwestern Outlines Plan for Community Involvement - Evanston RoundTable - Evanston, IL
Isn't the remarkable transformation of downtown Evanston (since the era when the research park was developed) attributed to a great degree to the improved NU-Ev relationship that helped make it happen?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
What in the world is going on in downtown Evanston? Five major high projects have been announced and have advanced in the planning process. Of course, there is no certainty that they all (or any?) would be built, but that five such major projects are on the table now with serious consideration is remarkable.

Evanston, if it isn’t already, seems destined to become a major hub like no other suburban Chicagoland downtown, perhaps akin to places like Clayton, MO, Bellvue, WA, Bethesda, MD, etc. Although admittedly, the Evanston growth seems to be far more residential in nature and doesn’t indicate the city becoming a business center (although both the city and NU have long since combined in an effort to attract that type of growth).

The city grapples with what it will become as the nature of the community could easily change with new high rises and density.

One has to wonder: how “hot” will Evanston become and will it become fundamentally different in nature from all the other Chicago suburbs…..and what will be good and bad about that? What effect might all this concentration have on the entire city of Evanston: could it affect property values across the community?

These projects will likely attract lot of low income people, cause mid class doesn't like apartments these days.
Not great for a city already struggling with crime, crumbling tax base and over diversification. We may see Evanston becoming another ghetto, like Rodgers park

Old 11-15-2017, 03:53 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
These projects will likely attract lot of low income people, cause mid class doesn't like apartments these days.
Not great for a city already struggling with crime, crumbling tax base and over diversification. We may see Evanston becoming another ghetto, like Rodgers park
You are delusional. Downtown EV is not a haven for that demographic.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Isn't the remarkable transformation of downtown Evanston (since the era when the research park was developed) attributed to a great degree to the improved NU-Ev relationship that helped make it happen?
Nope. Evanston desperately needs more properties to be on the tax rolls. It’s that simple.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:39 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
The current relationship between NU and EV is light years better than it used to be. The number of lawsuits between the two parties is a fraction of what they used to be. The current outreach by NU is quite good, but of course EV would prefer that NU pay even a small percentage of their property taxes, something like what Yale does in New Haven, CT. Payments in kind in no way can solve Evanston’s budget, or help them repair the damage caused by poor fiscal choices/management over the years. They really need to find a better way to meet in the middle IMNSHO.
I agree that it has gotten better in my lifetime, but it is still a major point of contention among residents. Northwestern's continued acquisition of off-campus properties stirs a lot of anger at community meetings, and these are meetings that often have nothing to do with the university. A recent failed aldermanic candidate was hammered for a "conflict of interest" because of her academic ties to the university. My view is that Evanston and Northwestern have a mutually beneficial relationship.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Thanks for the the reply, Hiruko; very well explained. I was wondering: is there any other project that is as large as visible in west Evanston's redevelopment as the townhouse development due east of ETHS off Church, a couple blocks east of Dodge?
Yes. While that townhouse development is owner-occupied housing, there is also a 32-unit renter-occupied townhouse development just south of Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center called Emerson Square. Unlike the Church Street development, it is a mixed-income housing development that is part of Evanston's Neighborhood Stabilization Program, and the West Evanston Master Plan. Both programs work in conjunction to promote affordable housing, and the repurposing of dilapidated sites (mostly former industrial) for residential use.

Adjacent to the West Evanston Master Plan area, there has been a significant amount of single-family residential speculation, and a loft conversion at 1101 Dodge. The large area from south to north between Asbury Avenue and Dodge Avenue has clearly benefited from rising prices in points east. Evanston Plaza has also stabilized since the addition of Valli Produce and Goodwill.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I agree that it has gotten better in my lifetime, but it is still a major point of contention among residents. Northwestern's continued acquisition of off-campus properties stirs a lot of anger at community meetings, and these are meetings that often have nothing to do with the university. A recent failed aldermanic candidate was hammered for a "conflict of interest" because of her academic ties to the university. My view is that Evanston and Northwestern have a mutually beneficial relationship.
I have to say this surprised me. I had no idea NU was aquiring additional Evanston parcels. Where are they located?

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the old town/gown struggle resulted in the city putting a freeze on NU's desire to tear down its properties (consisting of a series of vintage, large residences along the west side of Sheridan Rd converted to academic use) by turning it into an historic district which put a 20 or so years freeze on redevelopment as new academic buildings. Am I right?

I guess I'm asking since that would give NU developable land without taking additional Evanston property. Also, may I assume that any additional lan,d the university acquires would also be tax exemp?

Thanks for your responses....they've been most informative.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I am not aware of any new properties currently being taken off the rolls and acquired by NU. Could you be more specific?

Right now NU is building/renovating on properties they already own.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 AM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
You are delusional. Downtown EV is not a haven for that demographic.
Have you ever been there? It's full of gang like types even now, I saw them hanging out in hotels, likely engaging in drug dealing.
So Evanston is most likely to become an illegal drug haven soon - drug dealers love high density places with high rise towers, check out Harlem in NY as example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs