Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM

179 posts, read 496,747 times

Advertisements

Why in the world would you move from Mt. Prospect to "Sleepy Hollow" if your husband works in downtown Chicago?

Sure you can buy some monstrosity, but you'll slowly lose your insanity spending two hours getting to work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,604 times
Where is the best NW suburb for low taxes and a lot of house??? Are the schools at least decent? And I am the best advocate for my kids education.... I am very involved w/ their school and their academics. So when I just look at rating scales and/or testing scores is that really giving me a very good idea of what the school is like?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,604 times
I'm not saying we would move to Sleepy Hollow... the taxes are so high and I am afraid of the commute for my husband. We are just dying to finally settle somewhere with enough space for our family. We are hoping to find something that meets all of our needs (aren't we all?); house size, affordability, doable commute for my husband, schools that have high educational standards and not troubled with gang problems.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:31 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP RES View Post
schools that have high educational standards and not troubled with gang problems.
IMO, some of the Sleepy Hollow schools (District 300) may not meet your above criteria.... Research this carefully... Many of my friends in Sleepy Hollow choose private schools for these reasons. The good news is there are quite a few good private schools in the Dundee/Elgin area.... I have heard good things about St. Catherine Sienna, Immanuel Lutheran, and Einstein Academy which are probably the closest to Sleepy Hollow... Nearby Elgin also has a good selection of private schools (e.g. Elgin Academy, Da Vinci, Westmister, Highland, Harvest Christian)... I know many families who had problems with the new D300 charter school (in Pingree Grove). However, maybe they've worked out some of the kinks..

Old 08-24-2009, 08:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP RES View Post
I'm not saying we would move to Sleepy Hollow... the taxes are so high and I am afraid of the commute for my husband. We are just dying to finally settle somewhere with enough space for our family. We are hoping to find something that meets all of our needs (aren't we all?); house size, affordability, doable commute for my husband, schools that have high educational standards and not troubled with gang problems.
What do you NOT like about your current status in Mt. Prospect? What are you looking for in your next house? IF you are District 57 and Prospect HS you currently have excellent schools. You will still find good schools farther out NW, but still not rated as highly!
Have you thought about the Lake Co. section of Buffalo Grove? Excellent schools and some larger homes and lots than Mt. Prospect. This would be a step up in school districts from excellent to outstanding. Metra also serves BG.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What do you NOT like about your current status in Mt. Prospect? What are you looking for in your next house? IF you are District 57 and Prospect HS you currently have excellent schools. You will still find good schools farther out NW, but still not rated as highly!
Have you thought about the Lake Co. section of Buffalo Grove? Excellent schools and some larger homes and lots than Mt. Prospect. This would be a step up in school districts from excellent to outstanding. Metra also serves BG.
A home in the $400's, in Stevenson School district, will likely carry a
$9-$12,000 annual property tax bill.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A home in the $400's, in Stevenson School district, will likely carry a
$9-$12,000 annual property tax bill.
What would the tax bill run in Dist 300?

Old 08-24-2009, 01:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What would the tax bill run in Dist 300?
District 300 includes Dundee-Crown and Jacobs.

In Sleepy Hollow.... which feeds into Dundee Crown, property taxes would run about $8-9000 a year for a property priced in the $400's.

One can find a fabulous home in the $300's in Algonquin-Jacobs High School district. Taxes would be $7-8K range.

The equivelent of the Algonquin $300K +/- property, in Stevenson School district ,would likely start in the upper $600's and have a property tax bill of $15K+.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,344 times
In addition to the private schools in Elgin so thoroughly listed by GoCubs1 (Elgin Academy, Da Vinci, Westmister, Highland, Harvest Christian), District U46 offers several high school academies, essentially college prep programs that are tuition-free. Not for everyone because still located in the public school environment, but could be a solution for some. I believe the types are Gifted Academy, Performing Arts, Math, Science and Technology. Our daughter attended the Gifted Academy at Elgin High School and was able to complete some college level course work (AP classes) that were accepted for credit at NIU. The main benefit of the program however was that it challenged her and kept a good portion of her attention on academics during the dramatic high school years.

Our house in Elgin happens to be on the market: 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 1908 Colonial in a historic district, with fireplace, family room, central air, Jacuzzi and 3 car garage. Price: $245,000. Taxes: $6,500. Details & photos at 1011 N Spring Street, Elgin, IL, 60120 - MLS ID#07242619 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1011-N-Spring-Street_Elgin_IL_60120_1110074337 - broken link)

We are looking for property west of Randall Road if anyone hears of something: a lot size of about 2 acres, wooded, with privacy and a "nature" setting - wildlife, paths, a stream, etc., with a "retreat" or "lodge" look and feel. We'd like 3 bedrooms, no traffic sounds, but near a major intersection for reasonably fast access to shopping, movies, and points elsewhere.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
District 300 includes Dundee-Crown and Jacobs.

In Sleepy Hollow.... which feeds into Dundee Crown, property taxes would run about $8-9000 a year for a property priced in the $400's.

One can find a fabulous home in the $300's in Algonquin-Jacobs High School district. Taxes would be $7-8K range.

The equivelent of the Algonquin $300K +/- property, in Stevenson School district ,would likely start in the upper $600's and have a property tax bill of $15K+.
And the crux of the problem: Nicer house, lesser school district OR Better school district, lesser house. I'm not so keen on U-46 and District 300. Too many stories of over-crowding, inadequate funding, too much growth and at times, improper use of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs