Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,374 times

Advertisements

I am in a very confusing situation, about 2 years ago I was in bad health and a friend of my family let me move into one of his apartments that he owns. I never signed a lease but on a verbal agreement I clean his business for lowered rent ($600). We only pay Electric & Gas. The unit came with a dishwasher, washer/dryer, Microwave, refrigerator, and stove. when My fiance and I moved into the unit, it was filthy the previous tenant left dirty cat littler box, litter everywhere, old furniture, clothes, belongings. The locks were not changed prior to us moving in, the first night in the apartment someone had a key and tried to come in (the chain was on, so they were not able to). I didn't have to put down a security deposit but I did have to clean up after the previous tenant.

In the time I have lived here I have brought to his attention that many things need repair (probably why the previous tenant moved out). The landlord is cheep and usually will have one of his employee's try and fix one thing at a time. a few things that haven't been addressed because it will cost him too much money is:

1) My 8 year old sons window's frame is barely hanging on. it could possibly fall out any day on to someone or even a child, the landlord had his employee looked at it and his employee said he can not fix it and that he is sorry. with the window not in properly my sons bedroom is the coldest in the winter time and hottest during the summertime.

2) windows don't stay closed on really windy days they will slowly come open. This leaves up turning up the heat in the winter and raising our gas bill (& electric due to my son needing a space heater to keep his room warm enough in the winter)

3) The Bathroom pipes leak into the business below, leaks under the sink and causing mold (bothers my fiance's asma), handicap railings are coming off the walls, and the lights on the side of the mirror aren't able to be used.

4) Broken kitchen ceiling fan (missing blades and if you try to turn it on, it makes the light bulb explode)

5) we have central air/heat (it doesn't work properly because, after a family member asked around we learned that the vents have not been properly cared/cleaned in about 10 years or more (also effecting health of my loved ones.

6) Kitchen cabinets were not installed properly by someone who knew what they were doing (one already fell on my head) the landlord did send someone to fix only one of the cabinets not all.

7) Once was one large apartment the unit was turned into two apartments and I have the front one (no back door only one exit unless you go through the door that divides the apartments)

8) only 1 non working fire alarm when we moved in (we bought CO2 detectors and smoke alarms along with batteries)

these are only a few of the issues we are having and I have no idea the legality of it or even if I have any rights because there is no lease and cleaning (pays for the rent).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 03:32 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Since you do not have a lease, your free to give notice and move to more suitable accommodations.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:13 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
$600 rent for a family of 3 is a real bargain in the Chicago area. What would be the market rate for that apartment, do you think? Do you think that savings is worth the inconvenience of these other issues?

Your cost savings can cover the cost of the space heater/higher electric/smoke detectors.

It does sound like there are a lot of problems. But most of them are manageable ..... can you try to fix some of them yourself? There are two adults living there, right? That's a lot of brain power to try to address some of these issues yourself, and save the most difficult ones for the landlord. Can you get some home repair info of the internet or from the library? See if you have any more "family friends" who could help you or give you advice? Many of these things sound like things that you can deal with on your own. I also rent, but I weatherproof my apartment myself (seal windows/doors), fix small mechanical issues myself, deal with poor heat, use an air purifier and humidifiers that I purchased etc... It sounds like you may be bothering your landlord a little too often. Once you complain to much, you start losing responsiveness.

Since you have no lease, this "family friend" could increase the rent to market rate at any time, and evict you at any time. Only you can decide how much to push this. You can also move.

You will never have this apartment repaired up to your preference for the cost you are paying. You have working appliances, heat, hot water, working toilet/shower, doors that lock. You're better than the vast majority of $600 apartments, don't you think?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,374 times
This unit prior to the landlord turning it into two apartments with a non locking door dividing them use to be $1,350 (1997).

The money I have so far put into this apartment has been a great deal. I get that there is things that we can do our self, but with major things like windows, pipes, air ducts it is concerning due to my fiance health. the landlord never calls a professional about anything and puts things off till the break.

at my last apartment I did pay more in rent, but i had a 24hr 5 days a week i had a repair man or maintenance guy who would do big and small jobs, all utilities (except electric) were included in rent, $20 pet deposit, clean moving in, a security deposit **that I got back**, a backyard. when i moved into this place I was so happy about a dishwasher and wash machine i over looked other things that needed to be fixed

Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
It sounds like you may just need to move. You say this is a family friend, but for a family friend they don't seem to be too concerned about your issues. I'm not sure how much of an in depth conversation you've had with him but it sounds like that is a lack of communication and what I'm assuming is he doesn't want to deal with fixing the place which would I assume allow him to get more rent. You needed a place to stay, he is probably thinking I'm giving these people a place for about half of what market rent is, they can either live with it like it is or use the money they are saving to fix the place up on their own. Your thinking I want to live in a clean safe environment which is understandable, but at the same time realize to some extent you get what you pay for and you can't have a handman on staff 24/7 and pay half of what market rent is.

As others have pointed out, your on a month to month lease so even if you did assume the responsibility of getting this place up to par, at any moment the landlord could give you the boot and bring in someone willing to pay full rent and you did all that work for nothing.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:11 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
As others have pointed out that is really cheap rent. You could try fixing some of the things yourself. It does sound kinda ghetto though, really bad shape. I'd never let those things go as a landlord. Move or decide that its worth the cheap rent, keep on the landlord to fix things and fix some yourself or pay someone to fix.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
I'd have a sitdown with the landlord. If your willing to stay say you'll take care of XYZ issues some smaller issues if he takes care of the bigger issues. Ask for a lease of 6 months or a year so you know that after you spend the time, energy, and money repairing these issues you know you'll get to enjoy the fruits of your labor for a while.

Another alternative if you want to stay, agree to pay higher rent with the understanding you would like the landlord to treat it like a professional relationship and address issues in a timely manner and have them addressed by a professional and not a worker of his who may or may not know what they are doing.

The first scenario may actually be attractive to him as coordinating the work and getting it done is sometimes a bigger hassle than the actual money associated with it so he may be happy to give a deal if someone else is willing to wait around for the handymen and oversee the work.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times
Does he have a CO for both of those apts that he split? It doesn't sound like that is up to code, especially with an unlocking door that separates the two units. Where is this located? I would check with the town (or county depending on where you live) and see if he is even allowed to have that unit split into separate residences. However, if it is not legal then you will probably have to find a new home.

A verbal agreement is usually treated like a month to month lease. Just because you didn't sign a lease doesn't mean he doesn't have to keep up the unit to the proper safety codes and standards. I would not put one more dime into that place....you don't own it and won't get any credit for it. You should write down all the items that need to be fixed, in order of priority, and deliver that to your landlord (keep a copy for yourself). If you don't get any resolution, then you need to talk to the local housing board and report him.

You really should consider looking for a new place to live because it doesn't sound like that place is viable for too much longer. I know that is easier said than done but if you are not safe then you don't really have a choice.

Wishing you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: