Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:15 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Not necessarily. All this will vary by municipality. I would be frankly surprised if most of them would not have already put in language to specifically limit to RV vehicles (e.g. that can be licensed via the DMV) and thereby differentiating from 'something on wheels'.
Tiny houses are towable and able to be registered with the DMV. Typically you'll need things like running heights, you'll have a maximum width and height, trailer will have to meet requirements and the hitch but aside from that you can register a tiny house as a trailer or rv and at that point I don't see how the city can really say anything about it assuming your following city ordinance in terms of how to park an RV.

Here's probably the basic guidelines you'll have to follow...

1. Built on a trailer that was registered with the owner’s local DMV.

2. Ability to tow via bumper hitch, frame-towing hitch, or fifth-wheel connection. It cannot, nor designed to, move under its down power.

3. Is no larger than allowed by applicable state law. (The typical THOW is no more than 8’6″ wide, 30′ long, and 13’6″ high.

I'm currently looking at buying a school bus to travel in as well as use as kind of a guest house for when I have overnight guests. I'm focusing on getting one built on a van chasis so the city can't say anything about no commercial vehciles, as far as anyone is concerned I have a large odd looking van and my title backs that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:23 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
from the FAQ at titan >

What kind of hook ups do they have?

All the hook ups on your Tiny Home are exactly the same that you would find on any RV Travel Trailer with a 30amp electrical hook up.

Can I trailer it myself?

YES! Our Tiny Homes do not require any special permits or Driver Licences to tow and transport them.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
from the FAQ at titan >

What kind of hook ups do they have?

All the hook ups on your Tiny Home are exactly the same that you would find on any RV Travel Trailer with a 30amp electrical hook up.

Can I trailer it myself?

YES! Our Tiny Homes do not require any special permits or Driver Licences to tow and transport them.
I would just like to kindly point out that the OP’s post refers to something different than a wheeled vehicle in a driveway.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:47 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
I would just like to kindly point out that the OP’s post refers to something different than a wheeled vehicle in a driveway.
Yes, but the wheels/trailer allow you to get around the regulations. Check this one out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FqHINIs4Rc

Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Yes, but the wheels/trailer allow you to get around the regulations. Check this one out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FqHINIs4Rc
I will believe it when I see a Chicago area municipality look the other way. Some area communities may have restrictions on where an RV may be legally parked too.

Maybe we live in different states(?)

Old 03-27-2018, 08:37 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I see plenty of detached garages with apartments above. You probably can't add in water and stuff for the inspection but once you get the thing built you can do whatever you want, just don't tell the city. You may have to remove it when it comes time to sell.
Yes, you can do anything illegally and hope to get away with it. My point is, that to do things to code, a carriage house will not likely be allowed.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
OP seems to allude to a house not on wheels but they simply said "put on property". I was trying to point out the only way this is feasible and will be allowed is if it's on wheels.

I do occasionally see some really nice houses in Naperville or Downers which clearly have recent additions/coach houses/ or garage apartments however unless you have a lot of property and HUGE money it's not happening, even if you have a lot of money still may not be able to happen.

As far as I know most cities no longer allow coach houses and have a select few grandfathered in. When I was looking at properties I was specifically looking for stuff with coach houses because I knew you'd never be able to build a new one legally. Brookfield has a good amount of coach houses, I've seen a number in Westmont as well.

As far as having a guest house or coach house on the property I'm pretty sure the only option is going to be to have it on wheels or to say your building a garage or pole barn, get it inspected as just that and illegally run the electric and plumbing later.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I will believe it when I see a Chicago area municipality look the other way. Some area communities may have restrictions on where an RV may be legally parked too.

Maybe we live in different states(?)
I already referred to this. Look up RV parking regulations for your city, assuming your following the guidelines for RV parking the city can't really do anything about it as long as your tiny home is classified as an rv and has active tags.

Different cities have different guidelines. I've seen some before that just say has to be on side of house or backyard and 10 feet from property line. Aurora seems to be a bit more strict it has to be parked on asphalt or concrete so you'd have to wrap your driveway around the house. here's what they say on their site...

Recreational vehicles may not be parked in front yards or between the house and the street, except when loading, unloading, cleaning and servicing. All recreational vehicles, including boats, campers and pull-along trailers must be parked on a concrete or asphalt surface. They may be parked in interior side and rear yards but must be at least three feet from side lot lines and five feet from rear lot lines.

Size
No recreational vehicle shall exceed 25 feet in length, 8 feet in width or 11 feet in height. Trailers may be single axle only.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I think the wheels are what differentiates it. I see many RV's parked on properties in my neighborhood so I can't see how this would be any different. If you look at the models from Titan, they are towable.
For OP's scenario they are looking to do a guest house but the wheels are generally what allow pretty much all tiny houses to exist even as standalone properties. Most cities have minimum square foot requirements for properties, normally about 600 sq feet which pretty much no tiny home meets so even people who buy land to live in a tiny house typically have to keep the wheels. If they dont plan on moving it to keep things visually appealing they'll build a deck and put up some lattice work covering the wheels to make it look moe like a normal home

Old 03-28-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJA29 View Post
Yes, you can do anything illegally and hope to get away with it. My point is, that to do things to code, a carriage house will not likely be allowed.
Well of course. Maybe it's just me but I feel like if what I'm doing isn't harming anyone else or causing danger or property damage to anyone else I'm not going to follow some stupid law that servces no purpose. I'ts like marijuana laws, don't follow those either.

I bought my property, I own my property, if I want to turn my garage into a guest house or a yoga studio or whatever else I think that's my business. It seems many people agree with me since I regularly see people turning garages and basements into in law suites. There were a few places I looked at where I was told I would have to tear out a stove and gas line before I could buy or close on a place because people had "illegally" turned that into an inlaw suite. Imagine that, living in your own home how you like is illegal...crazy

If this person wants a carriage house work around and within the law by putting it on wheels
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs