Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 11,149 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a professional single mom of two kids, 3 and 4. I love living in DP (walk to metra, nice library, easy drive to the city, etc) but the schools are lacking. I'd like to move somewhere with good schools and nice community feel, safe, some culture, small downtown area. My budget for a home is around 250k. I work in Arlington Heights and Gurnee at the moment, that could change in the future but my work has mostly been in NW suburbs. The kids' father lives in Norridge.

Any suggestions for where to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,194,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaurkids View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a professional single mom of two kids, 3 and 4. I love living in DP (walk to metra, nice library, easy drive to the city, etc) but the schools are lacking. I'd like to move somewhere with good schools and nice community feel, safe, some culture, small downtown area. My budget for a home is around 250k. I work in Arlington Heights and Gurnee at the moment, that could change in the future but my work has mostly been in NW suburbs. The kids' father lives in Norridge.

Any suggestions for where to buy?
Yep. Buy a small home in either AH or possibly Mt Prospect. Better schools than DP.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,063,234 times
It's going to be difficult to find something in your budget especially closer to the city. You're either going to have to move far north or west for a better school district. are you open to a condo or a townhouse? How many bedrooms do you need?

Old 03-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Yes I'm open to a condo or TH. We currently live in a two bedroom condo. My kids are both boys, but I don't know how long they'll want to keep sharing a room.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:44 PM

Niles, Morton Grove, and Mount Prospect might have some condos in your price range. Buffalo Grove, Elk Grove, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, and Roselle definitely has homes, condos, and townhouses in your price range. Barrington is usually expensive but there's a townhouse community that has newer and spacious townhouses in your price range worth checking out. I believe it's called Lake Barrington Shores.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:08 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,841,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
Niles, Morton Grove, and Mount Prospect might have some condos in your price range. Buffalo Grove, Elk Grove, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, and Roselle definitely has homes, condos, and townhouses in your price range. Barrington is usually expensive but there's a townhouse community that has newer and spacious townhouses in your price range worth checking out. I believe it's called Lake Barrington Shores.
For such a diverse makeup, Niles schools always rank fairly well. That said, not sure if they're vastly different than Des Plaines, though they seem to rank higher.

If you like to walk to the metra, nice public facilities,etc. maybe look at Skokie, Morton Grove, and AH itself.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM

What about Glenview and Northbrook? Buffalo Grove is out of the way but housing seems more affordable.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:33 AM

4,997 posts, read 3,841,089 times
Quote:
What about Glenview and Northbrook? Buffalo Grove is out of the way but housing seems more affordable.
Cream of the crop communities. That said, you have to be comfortable in a smaller, outdated apartment.. Even that will be a stretch at $250k. Add Park Ridge to that list, too.

If you find something towards downtown Glenview/Northbrook within your price range, that'd be optimal based on the information provided. I'd even consider Deerfield, though it's a bit further out. All of them have top notch school systems, though if you want some semblance of normalcy and a bit more socioeconomic diversity, I'd go Glenview or Park Ridge.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:04 PM

Something like this maybe?

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Park-Ridge...25402#overview

Old 03-29-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Northbrook is too expensive. Glenview is expensive but you can probably find something in your price range. Just be careful not to by in the very south part of Glenview because that's not in the Glenview school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs