Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:02 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the city (renting), but am thinking about buying in the near future. Although I like living in the city, I am considering buying a place in the suburbs. I would most likely be interested in more modern or new (newer) construction townhomes or possibly condos (most likely 2 beds, 2 baths).

I am not super familiar with the Chicagoland suburbs, but from what I've seen and my initial searches, it seems like most of the housing stock is older. Nothing wrong with that, but I personally prefer more modern housing. I work in the Medical District (near west side/United Center/UIC medical area), so I would like to have a reasonable commute.

Can you all recommend any suburbs to start with that have a reasonable selection of newer model homes/townhomes/condos, and are a reasonable commute into downtown (Medical District)? Thanks so much!

*My desired budget would be around $300-350K, but I could go up to $500K if the place is really worth it.

Last edited by personone; 04-28-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 08:11 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Budget=?

Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 AM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
www.40ashland.com - in La Grange, only a few left... but something also being built in Western Sprngs: www.foxfordstation.com both are about as good as it gets location, location, location (+modern luxury) wise...

Last edited by JJski; 04-28-2018 at 09:20 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Budget=?
I would like to stay around $300-350K for the size townhome/condo that I am looking for. Although, my absolute budget that I could afford would be up to $500K. Right now I'm really just trying to get a sense if there are suburbs out there in Chicagoland that have a plentiful selection of newer model homes. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:14 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
At that price point, maybe a town home. Most of the new homes in Wheaton are about 800 k. If you find lower, it will be way far out or not as nice.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...7_rect/12_zm/?

Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 AM

I’m not seeing a lot around 500K either ;(

Old 04-30-2018, 07:57 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
If your looking for something really modern and unique you may have to build a custom home. I was looking in westmont a while back and they were doing some SFH teardowns and putting up some really interesting steel and glass type houses, I don't recall hte builders name though. I've also seen some cool stuff in lisle where they put a shipping container or two into the design of a traditional house. Lots of cool stuff is being done but its all custom I dont know where you'd find someone doing interesting tract homes. For condos and stuff alot of burbs have some interesting lofts and things like that. I know in Forest Park there's some really cool loft condos above some of the buildings downtown exposed ducting, whole wall of windows looking out to Madison Street etc. I doubt you want to go as far out as Aurora but Aurora has a couple loft condos that are pretty cool.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all of the replies! I have found a few new(er) construction townhomes/condos here and there scattered throughout the suburbs at my pricepoint, but not nearly as many options as I expected considering how large the Chicagoland suburbs are. If I were to get married, the additional salary could obviously boost the budget considerably, and a custom home could be a good option in that case.

I guess a lot of the home styles are regional. Where I’m originally fron in the Washington, DC area, the Maryland and Northern Virginia suburbs are flooded with new/newer construction townhomes and condos. Every suburb has a huge selection, and whole neighborhoods of new developments. I was wondering if I was somehow missing something in Chicagoland, but I guess it is just a regional difference.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Timing and history...

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Thanks for all of the replies! I have found a few new(er) construction townhomes/condos here and there scattered throughout the suburbs at my pricepoint, but not nearly as many options as I expected considering how large the Chicagoland suburbs are. If I were to get married, the additional salary could obviously boost the budget considerably, and a custom home could be a good option in that case.

I guess a lot of the home styles are regional. Where I’m originally fron in the Washington, DC area, the Maryland and Northern Virginia suburbs are flooded with new/newer construction townhomes and condos. Every suburb has a huge selection, and whole neighborhoods of new developments. I was wondering if I was somehow missing something in Chicagoland, but I guess it is just a regional difference.
Until the literal explosive demand for technology and security from outside contractors the DC region was rather less developed than the broad Chicago region that grew with the national suburban expansion from WWII through the 2000s...

Things have changed and developers are reluctant to do the kinds of projects that have seen massive gains in the greater DC/NoVA/MD area.

What is much more common in the Chicago burbs are "transit oriented developments" near the core of towns along the various commuter rail lines and most of those tend toward "traditional" styles. Many are rental as the economics of renting is actually favorable to those who dislike Illinois high property taxes...

Currently there are some developers who are dabbling with higher end "modernist" homes but with few exceptions they are more costly than your budget. Even those mentioned my doodlemagic in Westmont are likely above your target.

You might find an occasional "midcentury modern" and some of these can be spectularly renovated into fully up-to-date homes that capture modernist lines -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Downers-Gr.../home/18031283

Last edited by chet everett; 04-30-2018 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post

In those nicer areas near DC, the overall COL has something to do with why you mostly see townhomes/condos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs