Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 11:49 AM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times

Advertisements

^VERY good point
I think when it comes to decisions like purchasing a house I don't necessarily want the cheapest option either for the reasons that you just mentioned my parents had a house in the best school district and that paid off as all three of us got the best possible education and it was definitely a great investment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 01:57 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
^VERY good point
I think when it comes to decisions like purchasing a house I don't necessarily want the cheapest option either for the reasons that you just mentioned my parents had a house in the best school district and that paid off as all three of us got the best possible education and it was definitely a great investment
Then why not emulate that successful formula that your parents used to get you guys ahead in life(?) Again, your salary (and presumably, really good fiscal discipline) provides you with a somewhat easier route than your parents took to achieve this. I just don't understand why you can't check all your boxes yet...

Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 PM

1,313 posts, read 854,740 times
Apple's and oranges
My parents believe in the old school principle of marriage you stick through it through thick and thin and they raised 3 kids under one roof.Plus they made roughly the same income and we're stuck with each other whether they liked it or not

Im not so unfortunate , i never married and have one son and I'm not going to have any more kids most likely with anyone else.That probably means no woman my age will likely marry me as in their 30s they are desperate for kids

So I'm going to be on my own and will not marry and don't need a big house
Or I can marry an older woman who likely will have her own house

Either way my situation is very different from my parents

So should I get into anything more than a starter house ?
It will serve no purpose other than that MIGHT potentially be in investment over time
From what little I have read it seems like single-family homes are rarely a good investment.So what do i need to gain from a bigger house ?

Worse case scenario

I can send this one kid to private school if needed.

So I hope you see why I'm on the fence and suffer from "analysis paralysis"

Last edited by Dad01; 05-16-2018 at 03:21 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 03:27 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Some really messed up ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
Apple's and oranges
My parents believe in the old school principle of marriage you stick through it through thick and thin and they raised 3 kids under one roof.Plus they made roughly the same income and we're stuck with each other whether they liked it or not

Im not so unfortunate , i never married and have one son and I'm not going to have any more kids most likely with anyone else.That probably means no woman my age will likely marry me as in their 30s they are desperate for kids

So I'm going to be on my own and will not marry and don't need a big house
Or I can marry an older woman who likely will have her own house

Either way my situation is very different from my parents

So should I get into anything more than a starter house ?
It will serve no purpose other than that MIGHT potentially be in investment over time
From what little I have read it seems like single-family homes are rarely a good investment.So what do i need to gain from a bigger house ?

Worse case scenario

I can send this one kid to private school if needed.

So I hope you see why I'm on the fence and suffer from "analysis paralysis"
As as former teacher I saw plenty of single parents. The ones that I'd meet in school or in town that had an upbeat attitude generally had kids that also had a positive outlook about things and were generally quite well adjusted and academically successful. Those that were down on their ex, dating in general, or even the difficulty of their life almost always had kids that one way or another were not doing well.

I'd strongly suggest taking step to find ways to be positive about your situation as the impact on your son will be profound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs