Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times

Advertisements

I also want to point out that Chicago has southern suburbs, too, some of which are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
I agree with pretty much everyone here that Chicago suburbs are some of the best in terms of train systems, ammenities, proximity to Chicago, etc.

My one beef with Chicago suburbs is just boring ass chain restaurants and strip malls.

My folks were living in Charleston SC for a few years, I would go down there and visit and coffee shops are cool little unique places, one place had campers outside, was a cute kinda Joanna Gains kinda style, etc. Small local hot dog shops, unique restaurants, a lot of mom and pop places. While they do have fast food and chain places its a lot more independent ineresting businesses where as Chicago suburbs are boring as hell in that respect.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
I can't think of one suburb that is dry. There of course are liquor laws. Wheaton is not even dry anymore although it does not allow stand alone bars, they have to be part of a restaurant. It has a brewery called Emmetts. There are microbreweries in a number of places. There was one in Glen Ellyn, now gone, and there is a distillery in Riverside that makes whiskey and other potables. The Quincy Street Distillery. A little work on google will show you just how many there are around.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I can't think of one suburb that is dry. There of course are liquor laws. Wheaton is not even dry anymore although it does not allow stand alone bars, they have to be part of a restaurant. It has a brewery called Emmetts. There are microbreweries in a number of places. There was one in Glen Ellyn, now gone, and there is a distillery in Riverside that makes whiskey and other potables. The Quincy Street Distillery. A little work on google will show you just how many there are around.
60/40 ordinances prevent stand alones. Inherently done to discourage thru your accounting - It kills any chance of a classy wine bar martini bar or champagne lounge (even remotely equivalent to big city) catering to just alcohol because of ridiculous and dated fears... its why our burbs are soooo quiet compared to landscapes outside of IL or Europe even where i have lived/extensively worked...

Chet’s big city kids moving in are thankfully shattering those perceptions and rules. They are Forcing the burbs to become cooler/adapt/compete/elevate...

Breweries and distilleries here have to basically grovel before village leadership/boards to get special exceptions wrote in or strings pulled... In most cases they are forced to remote industrial parts and not allowed central downtowns unless 60% restaurant - so yes do your google maps but calc central business district proximity into your analysis. its a rather sad mind frame rooted in old thinking..

My definition of dry is pretty close to where IL burbs currently stand when i compare my experiences outside of IL and abroad...

On the positive side - as mentioned things are changing fast.

Also toria, i know QS well. I additionally know the owner. Bring it - i can shred ILs burb prohibitive configuration if you want... i really still like ILs most desirable towns but cannot defend them here on this very specific issue...

Last edited by JJski; 05-21-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Is that the same Emmets in Downers? I like their food, not a huge fan of their beers.

I typically find restaurants that brew beer don't brew great beer, breweries that brew beer and just happen to serve a bit of food tend to be better in both beer and food. I'm a huge fan of 3 Floyds, Two Brothers, Lagunitas, Half Acre

Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
I think Detroit and Chicago are very very comparable, with the difference being vitality and overall health over the last four decades as well as size. The Grosse Point areas would be the north shore, the Rochester Hills would be the outer suburbs like Barrington or Inverness. Royal Oak would be Oak Park. They're more similar than different. Aesthetically, I do see some real similarities in the older suburbs of Minneapolis/St. Paul as well. St. Paul has some neighborhoods that could easily be confused for La Grange or Wilmette.

Overall though, and to answer the question, I do think Chicago offers the best suburbs in the Midwest. And, right up there in North America. Accessibility and transportation, well kept neighborhoods, good schools. With traditional Chicago fare being so prevalent, I would like to see a larger emphasis on local food/sustainable food sourcing, mom and pop coffee shops, etc. The American grill food scene, even when masked behind avacado and brioche buns, is too prevalent in the suburbs still. But that's a story for another day.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM

MWJ - great points although i think the night scene in Royal Oak blows out Oak Park. But Oak Park is on its way there and i bet in near future these two will be very very alike to your point...

I also think if you take Evanston and mush it together with Naperville here you would get an Ann Arbor.

I do feel La Grange and Elmhurst remind me of Plymouth and Western Springs to Northville... With Hinsdale to Birmingham...

Old 05-22-2018, 04:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Wow, I didn't realize that having a drink was so important. Evanston was dry for many years, and the HQ for the WCTU. I knew that Wheaton also was. Of course, the good citizens of the dry suburbs went to the (often less fashionable) wet suburbs to imbibe.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 AM

PV in the context of this thread - it is a difference between chicago burbs and out of state towns. Many younger transplants (+chets big city kids/new young families) especially take aggressive issue with it and to us it is a dry equivalent when compared to what we are used to - sometimes you just want to have a drink, relax and not eat/feel like you are in a restaurant... but its changing, thankfully...

And Again I think our top towns are still great overall and this is just one element..

Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize that having a drink was so important. Evanston was dry for many years, and the HQ for the WCTU. I knew that Wheaton also was. Of course, the good citizens of the dry suburbs went to the (often less fashionable) wet suburbs to imbibe.
Evanston....and the rest of the North Shore up until Highwood (not really NS) and Lake Forest (definitely NS) were dry because of an ordinance that was related to NU's charter as to why the area was dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs