Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 01:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 3,877,893 times

Advertisements

A bit of a sensitive topic on C-D, but I find the data pretty interesting. I posted a similar list in another thread. Could be good for transplants to leverage if they're not familiar with local schools/put a lot of weight into standardized testing.

SAT scores in Illinois: explore the data - Chicago Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 AM

41 posts, read 54,388 times
Are the SAT's a good comparison for comparing high schools in Chicago? When I was in high school, everyone had to take the ACT, and the only people taking the SATs were people who wanted to go to school on the coasts. Out of my graduating class of 200 hundred or so, maybe 20 took the SATs.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,163,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocpa22 View Post
Are the SAT's a good comparison for comparing high schools in Chicago? When I was in high school, everyone had to take the ACT, and the only people taking the SATs were people who wanted to go to school on the coasts. Out of my graduating class of 200 hundred or so, maybe 20 took the SATs.
All high school juniors in IL public schools take the SAT now.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM

939 posts, read 2,374,346 times
Quote:
It is a better indicator now because the state of IL has a contract with SAT for at least a few more years which requires all juniors to take the SAT (as the other poster indicated). So the ACT averages would be a less reliable indicator, even though the number of college bound students taking the ACT is still high. I think this is good information coupled, of course, with socioeconomic information and other considerations.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:39 PM

6,348 posts, read 4,919,304 times
Quote:
It was the same for me. I couldn't wait to get out of Illinois and see the world, so I took the SAT and a few SAT Subject Tests for good measure - but back then, it went up to 2400 instead of 1600. Have they nixed the writing section, or is it just not part of the total score anymore?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:50 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,223,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
It was the same for me. I couldn't wait to get out of Illinois and see the world, so I took the SAT and a few SAT Subject Tests for good measure - but back then, it went up to 2400 instead of 1600. Have they nixed the writing section, or is it just not part of the total score anymore?

My impression is that they acknowledge that the previous system they switched to in 2005 was a mistake. In 2015 or 2016 it switched back to a max score of 1600 (like when I took it back in the day). Writing is not a separate section/score anymore. I couldn't explain all the changes any better than the following site does:

New vs Old SAT Format

Old 06-05-2018, 03:41 PM

6,348 posts, read 4,919,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
My impression is that they acknowledge that the previous system they switched to in 2005 was a mistake. In 2015 or 2016 it switched back to a max score of 1600 (like when I took it back in the day). Writing is not a separate section/score anymore. I couldn't explain all the changes any better than the following site does:

New vs Old SAT Format
Huh. Shame to hear they got rid of the guessing penalty. That was one of the main distinguishers from the ACT, for the sake of variety - and arguably made the test fairer, since boys tend to guess on tests when they don't know whereas girls leave answers blank (which is a major reason boys do better on standardized tests on average).

Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,223,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Huh. Shame to hear they got rid of the guessing penalty. That was one of the main distinguishers from the ACT, for the sake of variety - and arguably made the test fairer, since boys tend to guess on tests when they don't know whereas girls leave answers blank (which is a major reason boys do better on standardized tests on average).
I believe that theory has been debunked.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:25 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,353,111 times
On the SAT subject tests, there is a 1/4 point deduction for a wrong answer.

Many selective colleges require or “recommend” the writing portion of ACT/SAT, as well as subject tests.

In general, I don’t use SAT rankings to rate high schools. I look at how students’ needs are being met. There are plenty of high schools with average SAT scores that offer superior gifted/AP offerings, college prep tracks (and child has better AP class access, weighted GPA potential, teacher/college counselor ratio advantage) though the school’s median SAT scores may be brought down by various demographics.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 06-09-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: