Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 661 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad from Michigan starting work next month in Glenview; I urgently need to find housing soon. Here's a bit about me:

-Single female
-Rooming alone
-Safe area
-Prefer short commute
-Close to public transport into city
-Walking distance to general amenities i.e. grocery, coffee, etc
-Rent budget around $1,500

Bonus:
-Nearby nature areas
-Younger, artsy/hipster vibe

Really appreciate any advice for neighborhood fit, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Not going to be easy to check all the boxes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakyrae View Post
I'm a recent college grad from Michigan starting work next month in Glenview; I urgently need to find housing soon. Here's a bit about me:

-Single female
-Rooming alone
-Safe area
-Prefer short commute
-Close to public transport into city
-Walking distance to general amenities i.e. grocery, coffee, etc
-Rent budget around $1,500

Bonus:
-Nearby nature areas
-Younger, artsy/hipster vibe

Really appreciate any advice for neighborhood fit, thanks!
Depends how you prioritize things. For shortest commute you kind of have to stick to Glenview. Extremely safe. If you can raise your budget there are some really good looking apartments that have recently opened close to the Glenview Metra station -- https://www.midtownsquareapts.com/gl...vailability/1/ . Least costly units are over $1800/mo. You would have short commute to any workplace in Glenview and easy ride on Metra to Chicago. There are also walkable locally owned coffee spots with a somewhat artsy feel -- Glenview Grind | Local. Independent. Family-Owned. Decent enough family owned grocery store too --
Heinen's Grocery Store . You'd have a short bicycle ride to some nice forest preserve areas -- https://goo.gl/maps/upJx5FQ2Ccm

If you can tolerate longer commute you can probably find artsier places in Evanston.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Given your age and your interests, you might be bored silly in Glenview. With a few exceptions, it's a very suburban, family-centric area. Trader Joe's supermarket and High Rock coffee shop are as "hipster" as it gets there. I second Chet Everett's suggestion of living in Evanston; it has a strong college town vibe, without being overly so. The only catch is that you'd have to drive or ride Pace buses to work, which don't run very often or very late.

Another suggestion is to live in the Old Irving Park or Mayfair neighborhoods in Chicago, and commute to Glenview by Metra. It doesn't run too often outside of rush hours, but it runs late and it's very punctual. These areas will give you more of a hipster vibe you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs