Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:10 AM

120 posts, read 672,090 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking employment in chicago (and I mean all the way in, Lasalle St./NW Mem Hospital area).

I'm looking for an area where I can have a house or duplex, decent community qualities (no kids but I don't want to have to put bars on the windows) and have a reasonable commute into the city of >=45 min. Public transportation is fine by me if it means less time to work.

This is the beginning of my search, so I'll throw out that at this time I'm not wanting to spend much more than 300k. Hopefully that doesn't make this request a pipedream.

Does such a place exist? The last time I was in chicago I went all the way into the city from naperville, and that morning commute is RIDICULOUS. took me from 7am-8:45 (almost 2 hrs) driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,252,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
I'm considering taking employment in chicago (and I mean all the way in, Lasalle St./NW Mem Hospital area).

I'm looking for an area where I can have a house or duplex, decent community qualities (no kids but I don't want to have to put bars on the windows) and have a reasonable commute into the city of >=45 min. Public transportation is fine by me if it means less time to work.

This is the beginning of my search, so I'll throw out that at this time I'm not wanting to spend much more than 300k. Hopefully that doesn't make this request a pipedream.

Does such a place exist? The last time I was in chicago I went all the way into the city from naperville, and that morning commute is RIDICULOUS. took me from 7am-8:45 (almost 2 hrs) driving.
Well, the closet burbs I can think of are Oak Park (you can take the Green line in) or Evanston (purple line to red line), which Evanston being the easiest probably commute wise; however, I don't know what your options are for 300K in those areas

Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,779,828 times
I was think to go south/southwest/west of Chicago, not north.

I'd think there would be more options for a 300k home and still have a decent commute.... especially using public transportation, like Metra.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:14 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,644,182 times
You could always buy a condo in the city.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:29 PM

179 posts, read 497,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
or Evanston (purple line to red line)
The purple line goes all the way downtown during morning and afternoon rush (both ways -- to/from Evanston) -- no need to transfer to the red line. Plus, Metra would be much faster anyway.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:37 PM

179 posts, read 497,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
You don't say if you mean a 45-minute train ride, or 45 minutes door to door. Ogilvie and Union Station are both about two miles from the hospital you mentioned. That's a good half hour walk right there, or about 10-12 minutes bicycle ride (I ride my bike two miles to and from Ogilvie every day.)

The Chicago Ave. red line stop is fairly close, but you won't even get out of the city in 45 minutes taking the 'El' in any direction from downtown. And you won't find a house or duplex for $300k in the city unless you have a separate budget for ammo.

If you mean a 45-minute train ride, then you have a lot more options. That's enough to get you as far as, say, Palatine, Glenview, Wheaton, etc. You'll have more luck out there.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM

120 posts, read 672,090 times
Yea I was hoping to keep it down to 45/50 min door to door. If its not at all possible that will definitely give me something to think about. Where I'm at right now its prob 30 min door to door.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,472,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Well, the closet burbs I can think of are Oak Park (you can take the Green line in) or Evanston (purple line to red line), which Evanston being the easiest probably commute wise; however, I don't know what your options are for 300K in those areas
Those would be good, though I can tell you that 300k is going to be pushing it for a good house in those communities. You'd be looking at something very small or a condo. I'd also suggest looking at Berwyn (just south of Oak Park and 15-20 minutes to downtown on the Metra) and Forest Park (just west of Oak Park and about the same commute on the Blue Line). I don't know what Forest Park's housing prices are doing these days but I know that in Berwyn you definitely could get a really nice bungalow for $300k in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs