Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Montgomery, IL, in the Blackberry Crossing West subdivision. We fell in love with a home but we don't know much about the town. Any thoughts from current residents or anyone at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 09:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Well...

Not exactly sure what your total work / commute situation is but even for folks with jobs in Naperville the commute from the Blackberry area is often quite heavy.

The amenities of the greater Blackberry area include some nice parks as well the golf course, and the prices are mostly in the range where folks with "normal" incomes don't have to stretch too much. The taxes are no bargain but neither are they out of line for the mostly decent schools (Oswego D308...).

Not sure that there is anything particularly unique about most of the homes though I guess you do get more "bang for your buck" compared to similar developments in Naperville of the portions of Aurora served by D204, trade off is mostly distances one has to travel for not just work but even day-to-day errands and such -- the trends around older car centric development patterns certainly impact the relative "sprawl" that necessitates driving pretty much everywhere...

Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
I like Montgomery however it's pretty far out there, like Chet said even Naperville is quite a ride let alone if you have to commute further. If you do wind up moving there's a restaurant called the River View Diner that's one of my favorite places to eat in the entire Chicagoland area, awesome food nice people and its pretty affordable.

As far as the overall feel of Montgomery, you get some of the less desirable elements of Aurora spilling over and some dumpier areas ie rundown houses, cars in the front yard. It's a little bit more "country" for lack of a better word. I personally wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't so far out west but your average Naperville person probably would say its not as "desirable"

Old 07-02-2018, 08:32 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
It's always seemed like an odd community, just in being so disconnected. It's a long, skinny town consisting of many annexations over the years, and they're mostly isolated from each other.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 AM

One other thing about Montgomery, I would imagine some areas by the river flood so something to keep in mind when looking at houses ie making sure nothing is in a flood plain

Old 07-28-2018, 12:19 AM

30 posts, read 32,640 times
It's a suburb basically in-between Aurora and Oswego. Don't know much about it

Old 07-28-2018, 01:51 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Yorkville better. Montgomery to close to Aurora. Crime spills over into Montgomery

Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default No evidence of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Yorkville better. Montgomery to close to Aurora. Crime spills over into Montgomery

What is your basis for saying this?

The crime stats for Aurora have been decreasing for a long time. Further, the nicer areas that are technically inside Montgomery are not "spillover" distance from the rougher parts of Aurora.

Yorkville is a totally different kind of community. Still very much a rural / agricultural feel in large part...

Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
What is your basis for saying this?

The crime stats for Aurora have been decreasing for a long time. Further, the nicer areas that are technically inside Montgomery are not "spillover" distance from the rougher parts of Aurora.

Yorkville is a totally different kind of community. Still very much a rural / agricultural feel in large part...
I think Montgomery is a nice little town but the part bordering Aurora is pretty run down looking. I don't know that crime is that bad, just doesn't look that desirable

Old 07-31-2018, 09:15 AM

720 posts, read 1,084,530 times
I’d pass on Montgomery because all of the surrounding options are pretty much more desirable that are comparable in price range, like Oswego, Sugar Grove, Yorkville or North Aurora farther up the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs