Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 12:09 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times

Advertisements

If memory serves me correctly, in the 1930s up through the (approx) 1970s, a very large piece of property (about 6 to 8 square miles), on the north side of Rt 176, about half way to Libertyville, that was known as: Saint Mary of the Lake Seminary (a preparatory school for Priests (advanced learning) entering the Priesthood of the Catholic Church.....It became a reality in the 1920s or early 1930s due to the efforts of Cardinal Mundelein and it's address was Mundelein, IL.
It was virtually a "self sustaining, communal living" college type facility that housed, IIRC, some where around 100 to 200 young men on a year round basis for I think 4 years.........(Note: .my 86 yr old memory may be incorrect on some of this information).
It was a beautiful piece of wooded property that included:.. several large brick buildings in a wooded, landscaped setting; a golf course; a couple of small lakes: a functional and all encompassing agricultural farm: a bowling alley, and some other features that I just can't remember.
I do not know when it was closed down as a functional academic, religious learning facility.........

In the recent past, I have been told by some relatives of my old grade school days, (notes on Christmas Cards) that it was sold by the Catholic Church (when???..), and was slated to become the location of one or more 'high-end' residential housing developments!.........(true or not???...I have no idea!!

Anybody know what status is?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 01:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
It is still functioning as a seminary. Largest one in North America I believe. Some property has been sold for development, but most remains. http://www.google.com/url?q=https://...QG3h5E2K56yMZA

Last edited by pvande55; 07-01-2018 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Correct usage

Old 08-02-2018, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,179 times
Smile St. Mary of the Lake Seminary

It's St. Mary of the Lake University and Seminary. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and there is one lake that I know of, maybe more. This is the website link:
[url]https://usml.edu/[/url]
Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
If memory serves me correctly, in the 1930s up through the (approx) 1970s, a very large piece of property (about 6 to 8 square miles), on the north side of Rt 176, about half way to Libertyville, that was known as: Saint Mary of the Lake Seminary (a preparatory school for Priests (advanced learning) entering the Priesthood of the Catholic Church.....It became a reality in the 1920s or early 1930s due to the efforts of Cardinal Mundelein and it's address was Mundelein, IL.
It was virtually a "self sustaining, communal living" college type facility that housed, IIRC, some where around 100 to 200 young men on a year round basis for I think 4 years.........(Note: .my 86 yr old memory may be incorrect on some of this information).
It was a beautiful piece of wooded property that included:.. several large brick buildings in a wooded, landscaped setting; a golf course; a couple of small lakes: a functional and all encompassing agricultural farm: a bowling alley, and some other features that I just can't remember.
I do not know when it was closed down as a functional academic, religious learning facility.........

In the recent past, I have been told by some relatives of my old grade school days, (notes on Christmas Cards) that it was sold by the Catholic Church (when???..), and was slated to become the location of one or more 'high-end' residential housing developments!.........(true or not???...I have no idea!!

Anybody know what status is?????

Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
it hasnt

Old 07-01-2020, 02:32 PM

5 posts, read 3,979 times
It's still there. You can visit it. It's on a Lake over by Carmel Catholic High School. My son's senior class took their prom pictures on the lake there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs