Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:02 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times

Advertisements

I grewup near the Lisle BNSF station. I never thought it was an issue. Even when I stay at my mothers apartment which is smack dab next to the tracks and nearly the station, I have had no issues sleeping or with noise. Get ready for a hopefully easy commute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,017 times
I live close to a Metra train, a short block as the crow flies (I could run there in less than a minute if necessary). Most of the time the noise doesn't register, unless I'm waiting for my husband to come home after work. Then I hear the whistle because it's forefront on my mind.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:30 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,097,725 times
The noise IMHO is negligible unless your right on top of the tracks to the point your house shakes, that may be a problem. I lived maybe 75 yards behind a train and while you could hear it, it wasn't a big deal.

To me the biggest hassle is you'll always have to cross those tracks driving. That means everytime you come home from the east or west or whatever direction it is you have a chance of getting stopped by the tracks.

My current place isn't even close to the tracks but a lot of the things I need to go to require me to cross the tracks, I purposely get my morning coffee in another direction because I don't wanna get stuck behind trains

Old 09-10-2018, 04:13 PM

680 posts, read 534,340 times
My friend's friend invited us to stay at their house in Chicago a few years ago. I didn't know the location before going. Turned out it was the south side, next to railroad tracks. Didn't sleep at all, the whole house rumbled. When we left people were starring at us and throwing up gang signs. Worst vacation ever lol.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:27 PM

687 posts, read 637,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The freight trains had me wearing earplugs to sleep, but I was as close as it gets in Glen Ellyn; on Pennsylvania Ave.
I just looked on a map, and that is VERY close! About the same as the house I saw (online) for sale in Wheaton. Hmmm....

Old 09-10-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I grewup near the Lisle BNSF station. I never thought it was an issue. Even when I stay at my mothers apartment which is smack dab next to the tracks and nearly the station, I have had no issues sleeping or with noise. Get ready for a hopefully easy commute!
No commute would be needed if we move there - it would be a retirement destination! But I'm sure we'd use the Metra occasionally.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
I live close to a Metra train, a short block as the crow flies (I could run there in less than a minute if necessary). Most of the time the noise doesn't register, unless I'm waiting for my husband to come home after work. Then I hear the whistle because it's forefront on my mind.
I guess it's all what we get used to. That's neat to have a reminder that your husband will be home shortly!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
The noise IMHO is negligible unless your right on top of the tracks to the point your house shakes, that may be a problem. I lived maybe 75 yards behind a train and while you could hear it, it wasn't a big deal.

To me the biggest hassle is you'll always have to cross those tracks driving. That means everytime you come home from the east or west or whatever direction it is you have a chance of getting stopped by the tracks.

My current place isn't even close to the tracks but a lot of the things I need to go to require me to cross the tracks, I purposely get my morning coffee in another direction because I don't wanna get stuck behind trains
Yes, I know what you mean - we lived in that area years ago and I remember often waiting to cross the tracks. I loved that, though, except of course, if we were late.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
My friend's friend invited us to stay at their house in Chicago a few years ago. I didn't know the location before going. Turned out it was the south side, next to railroad tracks. Didn't sleep at all, the whole house rumbled. When we left people were starring at us and throwing up gang signs. Worst vacation ever lol.
That's kind of what I was afraid of! At least the rumbling house part.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Unless you're overly sensitive to noise, you'll get used to it. If you work downtown, being able to walk to the train is a huge benefit. I did it for years.
I would have thought that it would bother anyone, but from most of the posts on this thread, that doesn't appear to be the case at all. That's great to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs