Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,719 times

Advertisements

I’m a recent graduate in my twenties (23) moving to Chicagoland area to start a job in Schaumburg, IL. I particularly like living in a town that is walking distance to coffee shops, bars, etc and also has a lot of nature, or outdoor parks. I know more hip things for people my age are going to be closer to the city but I’m only looking to have a 30 minute commute to work max. I’ve seen things about Arlington heights etc I’m just not sure which city around Schaumburg is the best option to have a shorter commute but also easily accessible to more hip neighborhoods close to Chicago. Suggestions would be extremely helpful. Also I’d like rent no more than $1200 a month.

Last edited by tf312891; 09-18-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Technically Palatine has a somewhat downtown-ish core, but until recently they did not have as much development near the commuter rail so it sometimes gets overlooked. If you are going to drive to / from work it is certainly worth looking into as it is more affordable than Arlington Heights. The further fact that access from Palatine to Chicago via Rt 53 and I-90 is bit more straightforward than the driving commute from AH is also a plus for folks who like to head into the city in their own car after work and such...

Old 09-19-2018, 10:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Find a roommate and live closer to Chicago. Palatine is not an ideal place for what you are looking for. AH is more suited for older singles and families. Carpe diem while you are still young.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 AM

529 posts, read 646,818 times
You may be happier living in Chicago in a neighborhood near I-90 like Logan Square or Bucktown.

The commute in the morning to Schaumburg won't be more than 45 minutes but the afternoons will be well over an hour. I did a similar commute actually a little further to Hoffman Estates from Wicker Park. It kinda sucked, but looking back I'm glad I did it and didn't settle on living in Palatine. It was great to have that city experience.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
You may be happier living in Chicago in a neighborhood near I-90 like Logan Square or Bucktown.

The commute in the morning to Schaumburg won't be more than 45 minutes but the afternoons will be well over an hour. I did a similar commute actually a little further to Hoffman Estates from Wicker Park. It kinda sucked, but looking back I'm glad I did it and didn't settle on living in Palatine. It was great to have that city experience.
I agree with this. It would be one thing if you grew up around Schaumburg and knew lots of people in the area. For someone who is 23 and just moved to the Chicago area, I would think you'll enjoy your time away from work more even if you have a bit longer commute but live around a larger population of people your age.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM

720 posts, read 1,083,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post

It’s gotten worse - I’d plan on an 50-60 mins in the morning and 60+ at night. Depending on where in Schaumburg, PACE offers a lot of semi-express bus routes from Rosemont station to alleviate any driving related woes. Unsure of any PACE or shuttle service from Schaumburg station but living by the Western Avenue metra stop in Ukrainian Village could be feasible.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
As far as I can tell, Arlington Heights is the only town in the northwest suburbs that has some semblance of a walkable town core with shops. Maybe Palatine too. You can also look into Wheaton. Its a little farther away but its not a real far drive to shoot up 355 to Schaumburg. Wheaton has a charming walkable downtown. It may be a challenge to find an apartment there though in your price range. You might also look into something like Park Ridge or DesPlaines. They both have small town areas and are not too far of a drive to Schaumburg.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM

62 posts, read 79,425 times
Oak Park might be a good option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs