Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM

7 posts, read 31,073 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. We are considering moving to Orland Park since it's more convenient to my wife's work. I've seen some other threads about pros/cons about Orland Park. Since we have two young kids, our prime concern is around the quality of schools. Could you please provide me your thoughts on the quality of schools?

We currently live in Clarendon Hills and the schools here are great -- if you're familiar could you compare the schools in Orland to Clarendon Hills, since that is our base of reference? Also, which elementary schools would you recommend? Our kids are in the K-3 grades, but we're hoping to stay at our next location for a while so want to get into a school district that has, at minimum, a quality junior high school.

Thanks, in advance, for your help and insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
If you are in D86 in CH you'd be crazy to move -- UH HELLO every elementary school in the district in TOP 10 in the state rankings!!!

Orland Park is not bad, but frankly it used to be better. A few years back there were a lot more parents (percentage wise) that were teachers themselves (just one of those things that happens when teachers from Chicago used to be able live where they want...). As Orland Park has grown the parental involvement has gone down and SURPRISE SURPRISE so have the relative rankings...

Where do you work anyhow? I mean if you're looking at a shot down 294 or DOWN 83 anyways that is AGAINST the primary AM commute. How big a time savings is there going to be moving further south?

Now if you are in Gower or Westmont school districts the test scores/rankings in Orland are probably on par, but the shear size of the Orland Park schools is another factor. You can run the compares of Orland 135 vs Kirby 140 here:
D1: ORLAND SD 135 (ELEMENTARY)
D2: KIRBY SD 140 (ELEMENTARY)

My advice would be to STAY PUT...

Old 04-05-2008, 07:11 AM

110 posts, read 665,088 times
Orland Park is a great town .Most parents we know are very involved with the children.

As for schools Orland schools rank well.Orland has over 600 million in revenue per year that they used towards new schools and upgrading existing schools.

"Orland is not bad",I dont know what that means,we have some of the best amenities in this city... Hugh new library,scatepark,hugh waterpark. And every year we get a 100% rebate on our city tax.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
You want another town that doesn't even levy a village tax -- Oak Brook or Schuamburg. That 1% sales tax from a dense retail environment is amazing. Of course Oak Brook is awfully pricey, especially in the Butler 53 district, where the top school is, and that gets the OP nothing in terms of commute improvement, as Oak Brook is north of CH and they head south...

The OP asked how Orland Park schools compare to CH -- virtually all of CH is covered by the elementary district 181 that it shares with Hinsdale. The high school district is 86 , and the attendance is to Hinsdale Central. Every school in 181 is in the top ten in the state, Hinsdale Central is top 5 in pretty much every category.

Orland Park is fine place to live -- I won't dispute that, in fact my "not bad" was meant only to say that they are still GOOD schools, though agruably not as fine as they were when the town was smaller and there (percentage wise) considerably more parents that were teachers. I am quite sure it still has statistically "involved" parents, but 181 is superior in both measurable ways (size of PTO/PTA funds contributed) and things like percentage of parents that hold advanced degrees and such.

Honestly, if the OP had asked about moving from pretty much any other town than CH (or Hinsdale) I'd say Orland Park is a top pick, but unless the OP is in part of CH served by other than 181 schools there is no reason to entertain the notion...

With out knowing the specifics of where they currently live/work I stand by my recommendation that the OP stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs