Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most desirable Chicagoland suburb?
Winnetka 21 16.15%
Wilmette 6 4.62%
The Barringtons 12 9.23%
Hinsdale 12 9.23%
Western Springs 1 0.77%
Oak Brook 0 0%
Oak Park 15 11.54%
Naperville 17 13.08%
Evanston 12 9.23%
Kenilworth 10 7.69%
Glencoe 6 4.62%
Glenview 5 3.85%
Northbrook 4 3.08%
La Grange 9 6.92%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 04:30 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,844,411 times

Advertisements

I think that one of the attractions of Winnetka is that, more than any other town, it is the one that most speaks of being the "definitive North Shore". There is a sense that Winnetka speaks more to the essence of the North Shore than the other seven communities that line the lakefront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I think that one of the attractions of Winnetka is that, more than any other town, it is the one that most speaks of being the "definitive North Shore". There is a sense that Winnetka speaks more to the essence of the North Shore than the other seven communities that line the lakefront.
It defines the North Shore with its population of 12k, which makes it one of the smaller communities on it...

Winnetka is a lovely village, but it does not define the area any more than anywhere else.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:36 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
It's actually WARMER in winter and cooler in summer. The only time it is noticeably colder is spring. And it's a big negative for me because at that point I've been waiting for the warmer spring temps and there are several days in the spring when the western burbs will be 10 to even 20 degrees cooler. I watch my car thermometer continue to drop as I drive home from work, south and west of the city, to my destination which is right under a mile from the lake.

I couldn't tell you about snowfall, but to me getting an inch or two of snow is not going to impact me anymore than getting four or five inches.

You must not have to shovel a 90’ long driveway

Old 10-29-2018, 02:12 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Elmhurst? Park Ridge? Highland Park? Burr Ridge? There's a lot of really good ones missing from the list. Why none of the Fox River towns, either, like Geneva and St. Charles? Those are really nice also.
A lot of nice areas is the great thing about Chicago that a lot of people don't realize. There are tons of great suburbs to pick from; there are no South or Southwest suburbs on the list, but Palos Heights, Orland Park, Palos Park and Frankfort are very nice; so is Clarendon Hills, Elmhurst, Burr Ridge, Geneva and Glen Ellyn on the west; Long Grove, Kildeer Inverness and the Barringtons NW, and Lake Bluff, Lake Forest and Highland Park north. We in Chicago are actually pretty lucky to have such great choices.........

But I think the leaders on this poll are some of the best, regardless, and Winnetka and Hinsdale always seem to be near or at the top of the heap pretty consistently.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:19 AM

13 posts, read 14,041 times
Glen Ellyn > Naperville, La Grange, Oak Park, Western Springs.

And its not even on the list... pointless poll.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,558,583 times
I think River Forest is the metro's hidden gem. It's gorgeous. It has beautiful streetscapes and some of the best architecture in the country. It's also really close to the Loop, and it's very low-key.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:12 PM

263 posts, read 568,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think River Forest is the metro's hidden gem. It's gorgeous. It has beautiful streetscapes and some of the best architecture in the country. It's also really close to the Loop, and it's very low-key.
River Forest is a nice, affluent town, but it lacks the charming, walkable downtown associated with the most desirable suburbs. The "downtown" is just a small of amount of shops along Lake Street along with a couple of nondescript shopping malls.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:15 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
River Forest is a nice, affluent town, but it lacks the charming, walkable downtown associated with the most desirable suburbs. The "downtown" is just a small of amount of shops along Lake Street along with a couple of nondescript shopping malls.
I agree. River Forest is really just an island surrounded by less desirable areas without a downtown ( just a strip shopping center with a Whole Foods ). While I guess you can piggyback River Forest onto Oak Park, I think that the setting takes away from the beautifully classic streets with classic 20s-40s homes.

The one thing that towns like Winnetka and Hinsdale, etc. have is that while they can stand on their own, they are connected to areas almost equally as nice as they are. Winnetka is surrounded by Wilmette, Kenilworth, Glencoe and Northfield; Hinsdale is surrounded by Oak Brook, Clarendon Hills, Burr Ridge and Western Springs. River Forest's location next to high crime Maywood, and bordering Elmwood Park on busy North Avenue really takes away from the charm of the town. Also, River Forest is flat as a pancake, while Winnetka and Hinsdale have a hilly topography that make them unique in Chicagoland.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:11 AM

939 posts, read 2,381,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
[/b]

You must not have to shovel a 90’ long driveway
Actually, I shovel an 80 foot driveway when it snows a couple of inches, but I have a snow blower for more than that. And again, I'd like to see evidence of more snow on lakefront.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,259,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige65 View Post
Actually, I shovel an 80 foot driveway when it snows a couple of inches, but I have a snow blower for more than that. And again, I'd like to see evidence of more snow on lakefront.
Most of the lake effect snow affects locations on the other side of Lake Michigan because the predominant wind pattern is from the west/NW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs