U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2018, 08:45 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,203 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm not new to this forum per say, but have never posted before. I was recently offered a job in Bolingbrook that I simply can't turn down. I currently live in Chicago (Logan Square) and with my lease up this summer, I think a move out to the suburbs is in order to cut down on my commute time.

What I really like about living in the city is the walkability. My boyfriend will be moving with me, and he will be continuing to work downtown, so we would need somewhere to live that's close to a Metra for him. Downtown Naperville would obviously be the ideal, but we're eventually planning on purchasing real estate and I'd like to keep it under $350K, but ideally even lower ($250Kish...we only need a small starter home, and would prefer to spend our money on things other than housing). So DT Naperville is probably out of the question.

Any other ideas? My two ideas so far are either Forest Park (obviously a little pricy, but the walkable/urban environment may be worth it) or downtown Aurora, but both are still farther away from Bolingbrook than I'd like. I'll be commuting to the Bolingbrook office 2-4 times a week and have the option to work from their downtown Chicago office on the other days (another reason to be near a Metra).

I'm okay with the environment being rural or urban, it's really more about the pleasantness of the area and the walkability/proximity to a Metra and a downtown center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2018, 12:10 PM
 
4,018 posts, read 2,968,745 times
Reputation: 3118
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina8876 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm not new to this forum per say, but have never posted before. I was recently offered a job in Bolingbrook that I simply can't turn down. I currently live in Chicago (Logan Square) and with my lease up this summer, I think a move out to the suburbs is in order to cut down on my commute time.

What I really like about living in the city is the walkability. My boyfriend will be moving with me, and he will be continuing to work downtown, so we would need somewhere to live that's close to a Metra for him. Downtown Naperville would obviously be the ideal, but we're eventually planning on purchasing real estate and I'd like to keep it under $350K, but ideally even lower ($250Kish...we only need a small starter home, and would prefer to spend our money on things other than housing). So DT Naperville is probably out of the question.

Any other ideas? My two ideas so far are either Forest Park (obviously a little pricy, but the walkable/urban environment may be worth it) or downtown Aurora, but both are still farther away from Bolingbrook than I'd like. I'll be commuting to the Bolingbrook office 2-4 times a week and have the option to work from their downtown Chicago office on the other days (another reason to be near a Metra).

I'm okay with the environment being rural or urban, it's really more about the pleasantness of the area and the walkability/proximity to a Metra and a downtown center.

I would honestly split the difference for now. Rent somewhere (like Forest Park) that checks at least some of the boxes, regardless of whether you feel that the real estate there is affordable or not right now.
This would give both of you a decent location, commute-wise for the time being. Then, you can start to plan where you would like to ultimately settle on a purchase (with more compromising required, budget limited).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2018, 02:36 PM
 
28,461 posts, read 76,254,813 times
Reputation: 18535
Naperville is the obvious answer, and depending on how picky you are you could find something that is in your price range, but not single family detached, unless it is needing some SERIOUS work (the pictures are from BEFORE a fire...) https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville...home/146233273 I suspect this place also has habitability issues -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/40088277
All things considered this is not a terrible option https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/18075844


Lemont is worth considering. Core is walkable, and likely to improve as some of the "transit oriented developments" mature with decent access via Heritage Corridor -- https://www.lemont.il.us/403/Rail-Service-Information Some cute homes too -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Lemont/726.../home/13207572 Needs redo, but could be a money maker. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Lemont/220.../home/13211035 Solid starter. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Lemont/9-R.../home/13210537 Interesting updates. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Lemont/718.../home/13208402 Move-in ready.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2018, 12:23 PM
 
4,028 posts, read 6,597,047 times
Reputation: 2426
I think Naperville is the answer not Forest Park, which is too far away from Bolingbrook to have a reasonable commute. There are probably some reasonable rentals and even homes in the older part of Naperville. I think you can find things at all price points. If he is going to take the train make sure he checks out how he will get to the train station as parking has a long waiting list. So its either walk, get a ride, or a Pace bus. You also might look into Downers Grove, it has a kind of historic core that is walkable and its not a bad drive to Bolingbrook. Train also goes there. Riverside and LaGrange have historic walkable areas too on the train line but the commute to Boling brook would be farther.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,176 posts, read 3,532,490 times
Reputation: 3012
Which train station downtown is closer to his job? Union station or Ogilvie? Maybe it won't matter, but look it up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2018, 01:06 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,176 posts, read 3,532,490 times
Reputation: 3012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I think Naperville is the answer not Forest Park, which is too far away from Bolingbrook to have a reasonable commute. There are probably some reasonable rentals and even homes in the older part of Naperville. I think you can find things at all price points. If he is going to take the train make sure he checks out how he will get to the train station as parking has a long waiting list. So its either walk, get a ride, or a Pace bus. You also might look into Downers Grove, it has a kind of historic core that is walkable and its not a bad drive to Bolingbrook. Train also goes there. Riverside and LaGrange have historic walkable areas too on the train line but the commute to Boling brook would be farther.
1. I can't imagine a House for sale at $250 or even $350 in old town Naperville, that doesn't require huge repairs.
You could find a condo maybe, if that's what you're looking for.
2. I commuted from oak Park to Bolingbrook for several years. I-55 to 1st Ave was the best way, but I still don't recommend it.
3. I agree, look at downers Grove and Lagrange.
4. I disagree with Riverside. Although Riverside has sidewalks, there is nothing to walk to. If you think you're going to walk to a corner grocery or a diner in Riverside, think again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2018, 08:45 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,203 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for your input everyone! Since I have until July (when my lease is up) to decide where to move, I'm going to see how bad the commute REALLY is before I make any decisions. I do have the luxury of being able to work from home once a week, and work from a downtown Chicago satellite office twice a week, so assuming my job isn't full of unforeseeable meetings at HQ, I may be able to get away with only having to go to Bolingbrook twice a week, which makes Forest Park worth it for me personally (we're young, not planning on kids for at least a few years, and enjoy a walkable/urban lifestyle). While I don't hate Naperville —*I have family there and think it's a great suburb — I feel like Forest Park is more our scene. We'll see how many times per week I actually end up making the Bolingbrook commute, but unless it's more than 2x per week on average, we'll probably stick to Forest Park!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 04:44 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,176 posts, read 3,532,490 times
Reputation: 3012
A couple of tips:

Not all of Forest Park is walkable. It's nice to have something to walk TO. So try to live closer to the Madison St corridor. And try to be walking distance to the green line or the blue line.

The later in the week, the worse the commute. So try to commute to Bolingbrook on Mondays Tuesdays or Wednesdays.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 PM
 
28,461 posts, read 76,254,813 times
Reputation: 18535
Default Great points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
A couple of tips:

Not all of Forest Park is walkable. It's nice to have something to walk TO. So try to live closer to the Madison St corridor. And try to be walking distance to the green line or the blue line.

The later in the week, the worse the commute. So try to commute to Bolingbrook on Mondays Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

Forest Park is kind of weirdly sliced up by the various roads, both arterial & secondary, as well the Ike, so that things that seem mostly close enough to walk, are more of a challenge than in towns that are more contiguous. If you are young this not a big deal but has prompted some of my older friends who lived in FP to consider other options as they downsized -- that has been blessing / curse for developers in Oak Park that have condos and such that really are walkable to pretty much everything AND it has made folks in FP even more worried about the viability of parts of their town that already are hugely unpopular with families due to the Proviso high school situation...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2018, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,578 posts, read 4,996,112 times
Reputation: 14717
Lots of options in Naperville in that price range! Look at homes and townhomes/condos!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/23193276

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/85293532

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/40166550

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville.../home/23293050

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Naperville...home/146879901
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top