Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times

Advertisements

Actually none of the towns served by the Milwauke District line have better service and I rarely if ever recommend those to folks who need to have a variety of speedy metra options. The other towns you mentioned tend to have better options near by for employment, but the assumption is that folks are mostly driving...

Quite the contrary situation exists when it comes to purchasing properties for rental. You want to have lots of good options for transit nearby as a high percentage of renters rely on it in the region. I would say that I deliberately sought out "pricey" areas so much as I sought out areas where the levels of amenities would attract high quality tenants. The relative difference in cost was more than offset by significantly less trouble. Among other successful other investors this is not at all unique -- quality is preferred over riskier alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 PM

263 posts, read 563,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Actually none of the towns served by the Milwauke District line have better service and I rarely if ever recommend those to folks who need to have a variety of speedy metra options. The other towns you mentioned tend to have better options near by for employment, but the assumption is that folks are mostly driving...

Quite the contrary situation exists when it comes to purchasing properties for rental. You want to have lots of good options for transit nearby as a high percentage of renters rely on it in the region. I would say that I deliberately sought out "pricey" areas so much as I sought out areas where the levels of amenities would attract high quality tenants. The relative difference in cost was more than offset by significantly less trouble. Among other successful other investors this is not at all unique -- quality is preferred over riskier alternatives.
Chet, I have been involved in asset management for a long time. Let's just agree to disagree.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM

214 posts, read 543,133 times
I prefer the Milwaukee West line to the UP West. Easy parking. Plenty of seats!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM

7 posts, read 11,058 times
Default Very interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogreekboy View Post
I recently drove down Grand Ave. all the way from the Chi. Loop (where I currently live), through Cragin, and into Mont Clare, Elmwood Park, and River Grove. I really liked what I saw in these areas, but I hardly know anything about them.

I grew up in LaGrange, so these northern parts are a mystery to me. They remind me of the urban-like Berwyn/Lyons/Cicero areas, only nicer. I'm a solo and collaborative musician with a steady restaurant gig, I'm single, and on a decent income, but I'm sick of the noise of the city, the high rent, and the trendy neighborhoods. The only thing holding me to the city right now is school and work, which coincide marvelously.

To live in a pleasant town near the city with a swift commute and a safe, clean neighborhood would be great. I'm a white male in my late 20's. Would this be a decent next move or am I out of my mind?
What about Oak Park? You seem to have skipped that one. Are you prejudiced?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo wooman View Post
What about Oak Park? You seem to have skipped that one. Are you prejudiced?
Excellent candidate for the Stupid Post of the Year award.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Default Well the OP made a grand total of ...

...just FOUR posts over two days back in April of 2009. Despite there being some good discussion the OP did not stick around for much of it.

The lower priced areas along the UP-W and MD-W line seem to be among the harder hit by the continued weakness in the traditional manufacturing sectors that once made those areas nice middle class alternatives to the more white collar towns like Oak Park or River Forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Old 08-22-2013, 09:23 PM

45 posts, read 92,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, Einstein, please enlighten me. I love when people throw out insults with zero content.

So you think River Grove versus Elmwood Park (ober by dare near JAHNEEZ) is a real choice?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,875,952 times
Elmwood Park has easy access to the Harlem Avenue corridor of businesses. You have got a short drive up and down to find many stores and eateries, there are a lot of good Italian ones going up north on Harlem. And you are close to the city, close to Oak Park, and point nearby. Besides you can go to Johnnies for Italian beef. I stop there periodically and the are does not look bad at all.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,802,215 times
I assume the OP is largely concerned with access to the loop. Either one has a Metra station so thats not a problem. To other employment centers like Schaumburg or EGV, Elmhurst is better. To the Cumberland/Kennedy area, River Grove or Elmwood Park. For a renter, long term future is not the big concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs