Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 09:50 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Where did you get this data?

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ncomeFinancial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
"Disclaimer

Demographic information is powered by Onboard Informatics (Copyright © 2014 Onboard Informatics) and is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed.
No representation, guarantee or warranty is made as to the accuracy or completeness of Information modified or aggregated for specific neighborhoods."

I think $906k average wealth is highly exaggerated, especially when the same data source is claiming that the median home sales price in the district is $351k.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
"Disclaimer

Demographic information is powered by Onboard Informatics (Copyright © 2014 Onboard Informatics) and is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed.
No representation, guarantee or warranty is made as to the accuracy or completeness of Information modified or aggregated for specific neighborhoods."

I think $906k average wealth is highly exaggerated, especially when the same data source is claiming that the median home sales price in the district is $351k.

I don't disagree that it sounds high. I'm willing be convinced it's wrong. I just need some counter-data; something more than "I think its highly exaggerated."

Also, you're mixing median and mean statistics. The difference in mean and median household income in their data is nearly 50%. I'd guess there's a similar difference in mean and median home sale price. And that doesn't even take into account the assumption that the numerous swells who live in the $2-$4mil manses in Hinsdale, proper, don't have to relocate as often as the upper-middle-class plebes around them, so there's a further disconnect between the mean home sale price and the mean home value.

Any way you slice it, there's more than enough wealth and/or income in the district to do the updates to the schools that the board originally suggested. Seems like the November referendum failed due to a combination of empty-nesters who don't want to pay for kid's stuff, and those in the Hinsdale South area who wanted the allocation of funding split equally and didn't want Central getting a bigger pool, despite the fact that Central has 70% more students and is in an older building.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:32 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I don't disagree that it sounds high. I'm willing be convinced it's wrong. I just need some counter-data; something more than "I think its highly exaggerated."

Also, you're mixing median and mean statistics. The difference in mean and median household income in their data is nearly 50%. I'd guess there's a similar difference in mean and median home sale price. And that doesn't even take into account the assumption that the numerous swells who live in the $2-$4mil manses in Hinsdale, proper, don't have to relocate as often as the upper-middle-class plebes around them, so there's a further disconnect between the mean home sale price and the mean home value.

Any way you slice it, there's more than enough wealth and/or income in the district to do the updates to the schools that the board originally suggested. Seems like the November referendum failed due to a combination of empty-nesters who don't want to pay for kid's stuff, and those in the Hinsdale South area who wanted the allocation of funding split equally and didn't want Central getting a bigger pool, despite the fact that Central has 70% more students and is in an older building.
Hey Madpatty,

As a Hinsdale taxpayer who just footed the bill for the new middle school that is about to open, for the renovation of the 181 elementary schools, for infrastructure improvements, etc., I resent that every time a referendum comes up, the board of something tries to gouge the taxpayer by asking for the moon and not explaining why they are asking for a Range Rover when a Chevy will do. This happened with the middle school which I originally voted against because it had the most extreme luxuries included in the package. I voted for the school once the price was reduced and those unneeded luxuries were eliminated.

This threat and action by the board is extortion. No explanation, just a media blitz when the entitled board didn't get their way and now try to cut the fabric of the school. Hinsdale Central has one of the most successful sports programs in the state of Illinois, and the marching band is now 300 strong. I am furious that the board went about this in this manner........they are dealing with affluent educated parents and taxpayers who know better than to just bow to a gun to their head. We are not cheap (use your own adjective here be my guest) but try to be smart and careful, as I am in everyday life, whether it be shopping for gas or groceries. The board better tell me why they need that type of cash, and how they cut corners to get the price down. They smeared the name of a great school, and now will have to deal with the backlash.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:20 AM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:
"Disclaimer

Might sales include tear downs?

Old 12-21-2018, 08:23 AM

I get it, Justabystander; they're coming at you from all sides for property tax increases. Took 3 tries, with two trimmings, to get a referendum for school improvements passed where I live. And I won't pretend to know the details of all the infrastructure needs of the two high schools in D86.

What I am familiar with, though, are the pools and the swim programs. And it seems most of the cost reductions from the November to the April referendums come from scrapping the proposed two new pools, and instead renovating the existing pools.

To use you're analogy, they've decided not to buy a Chevy (for South) and a Lexus (for Central), and instead are proposing to restore a couple old Pintos....at a total project cost that would buy a new Buick. It seems incredibly short-sighted.

Central, in particular, deserves better. Yes, the original plan was more than a bare-minimum-needs proposal. But it was far from extravagant, and, IMHO, quite reasonable within the context of the swim programs history of excellence. I've been to many high schools with more grandiose pools that what was proposed for Central, even though none could match HC's pedigree.

Yes, $40mil for new pools probably sounds extravagant to many. But, one way or another, the District is going to spend on pool upgrades. The costs of new pools should be considered in the context of the incremental cost over renovating, and balanced against the incremental utility, and projected additional useful life of the end product. The cost for two new, considerably more useful pools, with probable useful lifespans of 40-50 years, is only $20mil more than reno'ing the existing penalty boxes to maybe get another 15-20 years out of them.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:27 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
What's wrong with those administrators, cutting out frivolous subjects and leaving the educational ones, don't they know that school is all about fun and games and not learning ? Shame on them.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:33 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
What's wrong with those administrators, cutting out frivolous subjects and leaving the educational ones, don't they know that school is all about fun and games and not learning ? Shame on them.
careful what you ask for.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
careful what you ask for.

And when's the last time you saw kids playing ANYWHERE but in a park with parents nearby or at a school function ? Kids do not know how to play unless it's organized ! It's a shame.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The marching band, orchestra, robotics club etc. are hardly fun and games but give the kids an educational and social advantage. Your sarcasm is noted, but it's not like they are scrapping the marbles club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs