U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,963,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
1. It only became a train wreck when someone inappropriately injected race into a conversation that had nothing to do with race.

2. I certainly would not within the middle of the city. Waukegan Road is the border - depends.

3. I would prudently not do either. I also would not stroll around North Chicago at 2 AM nor would I pump gas in Englewood at any time.
You are moving the goalposts, btw.

What is it exactly that frightens you about pumping gas at the Mobil stations in North Chicago, either on Sheridan Rd or Buckley (137)?

I just don’t get it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 PM
wjj

792 posts, read 910,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You are a very paranoid person if you feel that way and I would be surprised if you are able to leave your home!

What an absolutely asinine comment. You don't know me. I have traveled the world for years - as in over 4 million air miles. I have likely seen far more than you have and experienced things you no have no idea even exist. Have a good day snowflake.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:27 PM
wjj

792 posts, read 910,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You are moving the goalposts, btw.

Hardly. The goalposts were moved early on when race was inappropriately introduced by some class warfare crusader. And by the way, the point is not to find a relatively safe point in a town and say the entire town is okay, the point is whether it is safe in the town as a whole. Get it? There is not a person here who would say North Chicago is safe compared to Libertyville, or Lincolnshire, or Buffalo Grove. That's the point. The OP was trying to find out which areas were relatively safer than others and even went to tiers to differentiated really bad from sort of bad areas. But then the thread got hijacked by all of this racial nonsense. How about this. North Chicago is worse than Zion which is worse than Waukegan. And all are lightyear's worse than Libertyville. Is that okay? That is all the OP was getting at. Keep the social warrior crap out of it.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,963,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Hardly. The goalposts were moved early on when race was inappropriately introduced by some class warfare crusader. And by the way, the point is not to find a relatively safe point in a town and say the entire town is okay, the point is whether it is safe in the town as a whole. Get it? There is not a person here who would say North Chicago is safe compared to Libertyville, or Lincolnshire, or Buffalo Grove. That's the point. The OP was trying to find out which areas were relatively safer than others and even went to tiers to differentiated really bad from sort of bad areas. But then the thread got hijacked by all of this racial nonsense. How about this. North Chicago is worse than Zion which is worse than Waukegan. And all are lightyear's worse than Libertyville. Is that okay? That is all the OP was getting at. Keep the social warrior crap out of it.
The whole idea behind the OP’s post was a huge train wreck. Feel free to stick your head in the sand if you like though.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 7,890,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
Alright, so I had to go to Waukegan for a volunteer event, and on the way home, my gas was getting low, and I ended up pulling over at a Mobil in North Chicago. I honestly thought I was going to get robbed even though it was 3:00 in the afternoon. So I’ve compiled a tier system of suburbs, based on how dangerous they are, and here it is:

Tier 1: Areas that I wouldn’t want to live in, but wouldn’t feel particularly unsafe driving by or even shopping in. I’d put places like Waukegan, Zion, and all of the Round Lake suburbs this category.

Tier 2: This is where I’d put areas that I’d feel rather unsafe to get gas in or leave belongings unsupervised in. I’d put North Chicago up here, along with Markham, Blue Island, and Bellwood.

Tier 3: These are bad areas, ones I wouldn’t stop in or even drive by unless I absolutely have to. Harvey, Maywood, Chicago Heights, and Robbins get a nod.

Tier 4: Finally, the worst tier. These are the areas that I would never go, not even drive by, under any circumstances. This is where I’d put many inner-city Chicago neighborhoods, like Altgeld Gardens in, along with Ford Heights.

So what other areas would be tiered this way? And do you agree with what I’ve put so far?
Regarding Tier 2:

I can't speak for North Chicago(although its statistics on city-data in 2013 suggest it isn't that bad), but Blue Island gets an unjustified rep. Its a city bordering Chicago's Morgan Park community area(relatively safe on the south side). I go there often since my bank is there, and I can assure you that pumping gas at one of the Thorntons is not unsafe at all.

Tier 3,

When it comes to Harvey in particular, I won't go so far and say it's a no-go zone. It is home to a hospital with many employees that don't even live in the community. However, there are certain gas stations and convenient stores to be cautious about, to name, particularly the Citgo on the corner of 147th & Halsted/Sibley. That gas station just gives me bad vibes, and simply has a very hood atmosphere. Not to mention, two teens were shot and killed inside a convenience store only a half a block from there some months back and another young man was just killed not far from it at the start of this new year. But, things such as those instances are not as reoccurring as they once were. I grew up in Harvey, and there was a point in time when drug raids were rampant, shootings, blocks and corners being under 24/7 police surveillance, and prostitutes strolling along 159th St. in plain sight. Homicides were occurring every month, which was unusual even in most other so-called sketchy to bad suburbs. These are things that you typically see in Chicago itself. I will say that Harvey is a legitimately bad and very impoverished suburb, and there aren't too many suburbs in Chicago area that has suffered the same or similar level of neglect. But again, it's not a no-go zone. I still go there for some of the food jewels, such as the Caribbean Jerk spot on 159th and the Mexican supermercados and restaurants where I had some of the best tacos, burritos, and horchatas.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 AM

345 posts, read 355,629 times
I moved away from South Chicagoland, but was born in Harvey, grew up in Markham, lived in Riverdale, Dolton, Thornton and South Holland for decades. I have a few friends still living and working in E. Hazelcrest and Harvey. We are all middle aged white women. I wouldn't leave my belongings unattended anywhere, ever, that's just common sense. In case it helps someone, if you stay aware of your surroundings in unfamiliar areas, you should be okay in all of these places. Move with purpose, don't flash cash or focus intently on your phone. Don't forget, most people are just going about their business, mind your own. But the OP just seems odd. If you don't know anyone or anything about an area, why would you be there in the first place?

Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 AM

1,204 posts, read 836,273 times
Who the hell needs 4 or 5 tiers of places they don't like?

Seriously. Some areas are really nice, some are just fine/ok, and others are not desirable.

You are taking the not desirable section and wanting to parse it to death.

Why?

When I first saw this I thought Tier 1 was going to be nice places, but very single Tier is negative.

Stupid indeed.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:00 AM

625 posts, read 779,782 times
How does this thread have so many comments and why do people keep commenting on it?

Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM

499 posts, read 411,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aga412 View Post
How does this thread have so many comments and why do people keep commenting on it?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Old 01-30-2019, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 15,677 times
Why did you feel like you were going to get robbed Pseudonym18123, and what reasoning do you have to "tier" said areas? Have you been to all the areas you list? What is your issue with these neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs