Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM

101 posts, read 386,053 times

Advertisements

Saw a immature bald eagle yesterday morning in Wayne.

I'm sure it was just migrating through to WI or Canada but it was pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Wow! It wouldn't surprise me.

It is kind of off season for the migratory eagles though. The fox river is not too far west of there and the eagle was likely going down the river. There are nesting sites on the Illinois river I believe - which the fox runs into in Ottawa, IL. And there are regular sitings in january at Starved rock.

A few times we have seen immature bald eagles on the fox river in St. Charles township - again though, in late Dec./Jan. Likely the birds were going down to starved rock I am thinking.

Thanks for posting!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Very cool indeed. Ive only seen one in the area, and that was back in high school, right along the Fox River in St. Charles. We were on the paddlewheel boat cruise and saw one up in a tree, about 20 yards away from the boat. Youll see alot of them down near Starved Rock and up near Galena.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 PM

In general, we see Ospreys and the very occasional bald eagle (winter) along the Fox river for the hawks/bird of prey.

We recently have been seeing a harrier - which I understand are uncommon. And by the landfill up in South elgin you will see the turkey vultures.

They have that thing with the "eagle viewing" weekend at starved rock lodge every year in January sometime.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
And by the landfill up in South elgin you will see the turkey vultures
Ive seen those vultures down near Sugar Grove too. We were at Big Rock Creek Forest Preserve and had several of them soaring overhead. You dont realize how huge they are until they get low. Some of them looked to have 6' wingspans or more!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 AM

101 posts, read 386,053 times
Turkey vultures very common at the S. Elgin landfill. Harriers very uncommon here in the suburbs; I've never seen one. I've never seen an Osprey around here. I have seen Rough-legged hawks (from the Arctic area) at the landfill in the dead of winter (that was a couple of years ago). That's good to hear about Starved Rock; I didn't know that.

Anyways, hopefully this trend will continue seeing more eagles. It's great to see the recovery they've made.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 AM

There used to be a dupage birders hotlist where they listed reports of uncommon bird sightings. But they pulled it recently. Likely it was too much work for the person doing it.

The best places to go birdwatching locally are fermilab and morton arboretum - a lot of the sightings used to come from those.

But here is a link to a checklist of birds and whether or not they are rare or not in the dupage/kane cty. area.

Birds of DuPage County (http://home.xnet.com/~ugeiser/dbc/checklist.html - broken link)

Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM

38 posts, read 115,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive seen those vultures down near Sugar Grove too.Some of them looked to have 6' wingspans or more!
The turkey vulture is a member of the same family as the herons & cranes. Eagles and hawks are raptors. The TV is a very useful animal. It keeps the dead animals from piling up

Old 04-12-2008, 02:59 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
My sister sees them out in Oswego. They fly right over her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs