Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,112 times

Advertisements

Hi I got job in Chicago downtown and I am about to move .

I looked an apartment in Lisle IL suburb. Arboretum Villages Apartment
Is Indian community living in that apartments and is it safe place to stay.
Please help me on this

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 12:47 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Its very safe. I can't say if Indians are living in that development but they certainly live in Lisle and nearby Naperville. There is a hindu temple within easy driving distance. Good area.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
As ToriaT posted, there's a sizeable Asian Indian community residing in Naperville, which adjoins Lisle to the southwest. Naperville is often cited as offering one of the best quality of life in cities larger than 100,000 people.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:28 PM

Thanks for your info.i supposed to commute downtown .i am having car and planning to park at Metra station , but I heared there are challenges on parking at station.is there any private parking near to Lisle station , I can pay monthly basis .i am ok with car pooling if any

Thanks

Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
Hi Pganesuni ---

Congratulations on your new job in Chicago. Lisle is a very pretty area, but if you are working in downtown Chicago you may want to consider living much closer in to your job. Since you own a car, you do want to make sure that a parking space is included with your apartment rent. And then try to find an apartment building convenient to your job -- perhaps even walking distance! Then you can keep your car parked all week and save money on gas. When you add the cost of a monthly train [METRA} ticket and parking space rent, you may find it is not that much of a difference in cost.

Another suggestion would to be find an apartment near downtown Chicago that is a short bus ride away from your job; specifically a bus ride on a route that goes directly from your apartment to your job building without requiring a transfer. This makes things much quicker and easier. The best way to do this is to find out what bus route goes to your job and then find an apartment close by. Check out the CTA bus routes for inside Chicago.

If you really want/need to live out in Lisle or Naperville, you need to be aware that the METRA station parking lots usually have waiting lists and you also will be paying either a quarterly or monthly parking space rental in addition to your monthly train [METRA] ticket. This adds up over the course of several years. To avoid this expense, you can choose an apartment complex located on a PACE bus line that goes directly to and from the train [METRA] station during rush hour. You will still have to pay for both the bus and the train, but avoid paying for the parking space [which is not available for 2-4 years anyway]. If Arboretum Village is not on a PACE bus route, look for an apartment complex that is.

I would think very carefully before renting an apartment in a location with a complicated and time-consuming commute, when you don't have to. There are many choices out there -- think your choice out logically, looking very carefully at the location of the apartment and transportation options.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-24-2019, 07:12 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
As others have mentioned, there's a larger Indian population in Naperville. The Route 59 station on the same line takes a few minutes longer than the train ride from Lisle and has apartments nearby, I think some right across the parking lot. They may be reasonable depending on your budget. There's a few apartment buildings near the downtown Naperville station, including one about 50 feet from where the train picks up. It's new and a bit smaller, I think about 40 units, so it may be full.

There's also a new large apartment complex that looks pretty nice across from the Lisle station parking lot. This would save you from having to drive to the station. It's a large complex, so I highly doubt it's full yet. This would be good if it fits your budget and you have a good reason to be in Lisle over other suburbs.

Is there a specific reason you're looking at Lisle over other suburbs?

Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 PM

Thank you , the only thing I am looking is the commute time , from Lisle it’s 30 min by speed trains .

Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM

It may be easier to find a parking spot in Lisle than Naperville. You will have to call the cities and find out what department to talk to to find out what the waiting time is if any and how to get on a waiting list. I encourage you to get on the waiting list as soon as possible.

https://www.villageoflisle.org/135/Daily-Parking

https://www.villageoflisle.org/140/Q...arking-Permits

Since half my family is Indian I can tell you that most are not inner city dwellers. They are suburban people. I have not known many of them to live in city neighborhoods or downtown. They are family people and usually have kids and look to live in the suburbs in a modern house with plenty of room for family and visiting friends. They often have their parents living with them or visiting. Advice to live near their job in the city is useless for them.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Thank you very much Toria

Old 01-31-2019, 08:32 AM

You are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs