Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:56 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

We have recently moved in to a new home here, since the first snow has hit our neighbor has seemed to think it’s fine to blow his snow uncontrolled in to our poperty HITTING the side of our house and traveling over half of our front yard in the process and covering our cleared sidewalk.
As you can see his laneway has no yard and is directly against his home, which I why I assume he has decided to blow it on to our property rather than managing his snow in a way that will allow him to put it on his lawn space.
I have a few concerns.
The first is the obvious, Hitting our home with the snow, ice and debris brought in by car travel
It’s falling on the ac blower and pelting our siding windows. In addition when lawn mowing season hits all of the debris is now prime for random accidents to happen and have the settlement fly and hit their cars.

I do not mind them using our lawn given their circumstance, however I do not need it flying so far it’s landing point is the side of our house and half way through the front of our front lawn. Controlling his chute and making sure he is piling it to the side and not all over the lawn space is ideal.
Does anyone have any advice for a solution to this issue the few times we have interacted with them they have been nice but totally non receptive to any form of shared solutions so I’m not sure the good old “baked good and friendly hello” is really going to matter much. They are friendly, they just do not react well to being asked or told something they may be doing is affecting others.

Pic 1: looking out of window from the side of our house
Pic 2 looking from our house towards his drive

what is the boiling point for aluminum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
You are going to have to venture out and find a way to articulate this to your new neighbor. It is likely the previous owners either did not care or also were ignored.

Grab an AC cover online too. That will help reduce the amount of snow/dirt/stuff getting blown inside the housing.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:52 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
I'd wait till the next time he was doing it and go out there and confront him. It's totally unacceptable for him to cover your cleared sidewalk with snow, and snowblowers can easily pick up rocks which can break windows and ding up your siding. I think this is something to get po'd about, and I would most definitely be that.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You are going to have to venture out and find a way to articulate this to your new neighbor. It is likely the previous owners either did not care or also were ignored.

Grab an AC cover online too. That will help reduce the amount of snow/dirt/stuff getting blown inside the housing.
We have attempted to “articulate” with him before when they decided on multiple occupations that 11pm to 2am was a good idea to blow their subwoofer out of the back porch and basket ball beside the neighbors bedroom at 1am with a 5 year old child probably isn’t the best choice to make if you want to be considerate of others. We have since had to resort to noise disturbance calls to get them to “understand” us. It is not what I wish to be doing, but left with no choice its what had to be done.
Articulations of word do not seem to matter to them. They just do not see issue with what they are doing.
As an example of their general attitude, just before we moved in to the property one of the mowers managed to get a small amount of grass clippings on their drive and the owner of the next door property threw a fit on us over it the first time we had to knock and ask them if they could turn their music down or the sub off at 1am.
They are generally nice people, but just do not respond well to any form of issue they do not share. They just attmept to blame others or pass the buck to another (spontaneous) issue

I fully expect this type of response to happen when this issue gets brought up with them which is why I am wondering what’s written below about local bylaw.
That’s being: I called the city to inquire what the bylaws and ordinance say about this type of problem, however they seemed clueless about this type of inquiry or what it would fall under.
I’m new to this town but where I came from before it was not allowed to blow your snow on to others property as it was considered trespassing to do so. I can’t get a straight answer here as to what is and isn’t allowed or who to call to find out....so, yeah.

We have an ac cover and will resort to using one if I have to, however have had bad experiences using them in the past allowing moister to fester and rot the unit from the inside faster than uncovered. Obviously if I have to resort to it I will, but it still doesn’t fix the side of the house being pelted and the lawn becoming filled with tracked in road debris.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'd wait till the next time he was doing it and go out there and confront him. It's totally unacceptable for him to cover your cleared sidewalk with snow, and snowblowers can easily pick up rocks which can break windows and ding up your siding. I think this is something to get po'd about, and I would most definitely be that.
I am sympathetic to his circumstance of having no direct side yard to put his snow, but he isn’t even trying to offload it anywhere on his property. He’s dumping it all on ours. Blowing it over our fence and on to our side and front yard.
I’m not sure what can be done outside of a compromise to use a portion of our yard or tell him to move his cars and use his back yard for snow purposes. As it is he has the chute on his blower pointed up and directly to the side, directly towards our home. He also blows it straight out at the street when he reaches to end of his drive where the plows have piled the dirty snow...that would be a citation for where we just moved from as it’s not safe to point your blower at traffic

Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM

4,946 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
We have attempted to “articulate” with him before
My neighbor stopped, after I tossed it right back on their property.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:23 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
That's what I would do if he responded negatively. He sounds like a total a-hole.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
He has the snow shooting so far that it is landing all spread out on our property over a 14 foot length. Not sure how I would shovel that

Old 01-28-2019, 05:16 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
We have attempted to “articulate” with him before when they decided on multiple occupations that 11pm to 2am was a good idea to blow their subwoofer out of the back porch and basket ball beside the neighbors bedroom at 1am with a 5 year old child probably isn’t the best choice to make if you want to be considerate of others. We have since had to resort to noise disturbance calls to get them to “understand” us. It is not what I wish to be doing, but left with no choice its what had to be done.
Articulations of word do not seem to matter to them. They just do not see issue with what they are doing.
As an example of their general attitude, just before we moved in to the property one of the mowers managed to get a small amount of grass clippings on their drive and the owner of the next door property threw a fit on us over it the first time we had to knock and ask them if they could turn their music down or the sub off at 1am.
They are generally nice people, but just do not respond well to any form of issue they do not share. They just attmept to blame others or pass the buck to another (spontaneous) issue

I fully expect this type of response to happen when this issue gets brought up with them which is why I am wondering what’s written below about local bylaw.
That’s being: I called the city to inquire what the bylaws and ordinance say about this type of problem, however they seemed clueless about this type of inquiry or what it would fall under.
I’m new to this town but where I came from before it was not allowed to blow your snow on to others property as it was considered trespassing to do so. I can’t get a straight answer here as to what is and isn’t allowed or who to call to find out....so, yeah.

We have an ac cover and will resort to using one if I have to, however have had bad experiences using them in the past allowing moister to fester and rot the unit from the inside faster than uncovered. Obviously if I have to resort to it I will, but it still doesn’t fix the side of the house being pelted and the lawn becoming filled with tracked in road debris.
I feel bad you are stuck living next to trash like that.

I don’t see anything in the municipal code. The village likely won’t help until it escalates.
http://www.wdundee.org/?page=municipal-code

Try looking on the Kane county site for something that might apply. Consult with an attorney if you feel sending registered mail with a list of your concerns/complaints for the bad neighbor won’t be taken seriously.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I feel bad you are stuck living next to trash like that.

I don’t see anything in the municipal code. The village likely won’t help until it escalates.
http://www.wdundee.org/?page=municipal-code

Try looking on the Kane county site for something that might apply. Consult with an attorney if you feel sending registered mail with a list of your concerns/complaints for the bad neighbor won’t be taken seriously.

Good luck.
When I called the city to inquire they directed me to the lady in charge of handling city ordnances. They basically told me if they see it happening in person they will tell them to stop, but how the hell is she going to see it? It’s not like I can call every time he starts again and have her drive over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: