Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,659 times

Advertisements

We had a house built in New Lenox about 18 months ago and we looked all over the Lincoln Way Area first. New Lenox's what TP/Frankfort was when we first moved out there 16 years before...quiet suburb with shopping conveniences not too far but lots of open lands still around. There is a beautiful new town center and the library is great the police are quick to respond if needed and I do see them on quiet patrol from time to time. We live across the way from a sprawling new nature preserve/park with fishing pond and a fountain, walking path, gazebo, and state of art playground equipment! It's very quiet around us, maybe a little too quiet for our youngest who is a Junior at LWC, but we love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:22 AM

43 posts, read 165,057 times
My best friend grew up in New Lenox (then moved to Naperville in the 80's) and we were just back there a couple of weeks ago. I would say New Lenox is going through a building boom based on what we saw. What they're doing around the Metra stop (not the one off 30...the other one out by the gas station there) is going to be really nice.

I think if you like a quieter spot New Lenox is the way to go but Tinley Park definately has more options when it comes to shopping (this probably will not last long...but they've been talking about building up New Lenox for almost 25 years and the residents have done everything it seems to resist it.)

Old 01-27-2009, 09:13 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
Maybe, but there are neighborhoods on the south side where white people fled from beautiful large SFHs with great amenities that were subsequently converted to multi-units. Roseland has many striking examples. These weren't all working class areas of modest bunaglows on small lots. Not that this will happen again but I'm not convinced that the amount of equity in the home is a decisive factor. I'm sure it does make a place more resilient, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The value of so many homes out is really high. Most have the features that will be in demand for a long time. I'm not saying that anything is a "sure thing" but you aren't going to see people with hundreds of thousands in equity just saying "I'm outa here" -- it was a lot easier for Austin to flip with its higher percentage of rentals than places like Hillside that have much more higher ownership.

Not say it is BAD to be a renter or own rental property, just that such areas don't have the "ballast" to resist sudden surges...

Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,339 times
I guess I would prefer Tinley since it is a bit more established and has quicker access to the city. Since New Lenox (and the surrounding LW School District area) have experienced huge growth, there will be a need for additional schools and parks which will mean additional tax dollars. Friends of ours live in New Lenox in a nice, brick, 3000 sq. ft. home with an inground pool and they pay just over $8,000.00 per year in taxes.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:07 PM

367 posts, read 1,205,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I guess time will tell but I simply can't see the 'burbs extending much further out than they are now. I also think current outer 'burbs (like Tinley/Orland, New Lenox, Frankfort, etc.) will have a hard time managing the rapid growth and creating communities with the kinds of parks, business districts and walkability that you have in the City and inner-ring. You're already seeing miserable traffic conditions in those areas. I don't know if this will improve over time and as they get bigger.
It's tough to say. A key thing driving this that no one has mentioned is what business (i.e. jobs) is doing. Sorry to sidetrack the OP's question.

It's not news that many jobs have moved out of the city center into the suburbs all over the place. It seems to be a long-term trend that is still going on. Obviously, if you have a job at an office park in Bolingbrook, Plainfield is a VERY convenient place to live. What good will living in the city do you, as far as the location being convenient?

Of course businesses are unsentimental and care about the bottom line. They don't care how good the schools are nearby, or whether there is good access to a mall or if there's a nice coffeeshop in walking distance. I see there as being two forces that businesses see: cost of access to markets/employees, and cost of property. With revolutions in supply-chaining and logistics and IT, and cheap cars and plentiful highways for workers to get there, it is obvious that the trend recently has made the property expense the more powerful force. Many companies, especially new economy-types, can exist in an office or industrial park ANYWHERE, so they go where the rent is cheapest, and can manage the extra transportation costs caused by being in the middle of nowhere.

Until this trend abates, I think the suburbs will keep expanding. No doubt businesses are now bearing higher costs to locate at the fringe of the area than they used to, but I have no idea whether it is slowing down or when it will stop. There's no way Chicagoland would have gotten so big if all companies desired to be as close to the center of Chicago as possible, like it used to be.

As an aside, this is what is hurting public transportation ridership, too. Public transportation seeks to serve areas where people want to be, whereas these businesses are seeking to locate exactly where NO ONE wants to be, because that means lower rents and taxes. You see how the diametrically-opposed interests makes it pretty impossible for public transportation to be effective in the more distant suburbs? Almost all the Metra and Pace lines help you get to the Loop...

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 43,234 times
hi in response to opinions tinley vs new lenox. I am a real estate broker who lives in new lenox and moved out here because of the future growth potential . With silver cross hospital currently being built and the mall going in next to it is only 1 example of the future growth. lots of open land out here with 355 and I80,top notch schools would be good reasons to consider new lenox.

Last edited by JoshB; 03-23-2009 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: No advertising!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM

98 posts, read 279,102 times
Tinley park is better New Lennox taxes are out othe roof and off the highway.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,435 times
I would say Tinley Park because it's closer to Chicago and is slightly more diverse than New Lenox.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 AM

16 posts, read 39,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlandgrebe View Post
Tinley Park is a great community with so much to do and near majoe expressways as well. There is development to restore downtown Tinley in the next few years-should be great! I work and live in Tinely, so i favor it over New Lennox (although New L. is great too) but Tinley would be my choice
I'm thinking of potentially moving from NC to tinley park for a job...could you tell me a little bit about tinley for a single 26 year old? Would you chose tinley over orland? Where woud you recommend living in terms of apartments. I"m not looking to spend more than 800 for rent for also want to be in a decent area. Thanks!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaj28 View Post
I'm thinking of potentially moving from NC to tinley park for a job...could you tell me a little bit about tinley for a single 26 year old? Would you chose tinley over orland? Where woud you recommend living in terms of apartments. I"m not looking to spend more than 800 for rent for also want to be in a decent area. Thanks!
if money was no option, then no i would not choose tinley over orland park. however, both are fine towns with plenty to do for a 26 year old. if you're only spending 800, you'll probably have to stick to tinley park which is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs