Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:58 PM

9 posts, read 11,333 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I hope you can chime in. Looking to relocate within Chicagoland area. First looking to rent (4bed, 2ba townhouse or house), then possibly buy in the area down the road if we like it. Top of rental budget is $3300ish but would consider revising for the perfect area.

Looking for:
- great schools that include both gifted programs and special education programs (this is the primary reason for moving and would drive the majority of the decision)

- close to a decent amount of commerce

- social/cultural diversity and/or general open mindedness

- close to Chicago

I know it may not be possible to have it all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Much of what I have read points to Naperville 204 and Arlington Heights. Naperville would be ok (even if far from Chicago), but I am not so familiar with AH. Given the state of things in Illinois, am generally more nervous about owning property in Cook county but have had a decent experience in DuPage. I like the North Shore, but am not sure about special education programs in those school districts.

I would appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 04:15 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,244,903 times
AH also has very good special ed/services, as do a lot of the north shore school districts such as Deerfield, Highland Park, Glenview, Northbrook, Vernon Hills, Libertville and what feeds into Stevenson HS. You will have to decide how far ‘close to Chicago’ may extend if schools/better services are boxes that must be checked.

What do you mean by ‘commerce’? Close to retail shopping or proximity to major employers?

Old 02-06-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
What do you mean by ‘commerce’? Close to retail shopping or proximity to major employers?
Yes, retail/restaurants.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:50 PM

155 posts, read 212,604 times
Ah is a good choice. So is D57 in Mount Prospect.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 PM

768 posts, read 1,102,217 times
where is your work/commute requirements?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:48 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,539,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metameta View Post
Hi all, I hope you can chime in. Looking to relocate within Chicagoland area. First looking to rent (4bed, 2ba townhouse or house), then possibly buy in the area down the road if we like it. Top of rental budget is $3300ish but would consider revising for the perfect area.

Looking for:
- great schools that include both gifted programs and special education programs (this is the primary reason for moving and would drive the majority of the decision)

- close to a decent amount of commerce

- social/cultural diversity and/or general open mindedness

- close to Chicago

I know it may not be possible to have it all, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Much of what I have read points to Naperville 204 and Arlington Heights. Naperville would be ok (even if far from Chicago), but I am not so familiar with AH. Given the state of things in Illinois, am generally more nervous about owning property in Cook county but have had a decent experience in DuPage. I like the North Shore, but am not sure about special education programs in those school districts.

I would appreciate any advice!
Check out Evanston, Skokie, Lincolnwood, and Morton Grove. They are close to Chicago, high on diversity, very progressive, and have lots of convenient shopping and dining. Evanston is an older suburb with a housing stock in keeping with the other lakefront communities. Skokie, Lincolnwood, and Morton Grove were primarily developed in the post-war era.

The city and the three villages have fairly strong bond ratings. Evanston's property taxes are the lowest of the four with Morton Grove being the highest.

I'd suggest calling the districts to find out what they have to offer. Northwestern University offers programs for gifted K-12 students; some of their programs have been free in the past.

SPECIAL SERVICES - Evanston-Skokie School District 65
Special Education - Lincolnwood School District 74
Special Education - Morton Grove School District 70
Special Services - Skokie School District 68
Northwestern University - Center for Talent Development

Old 02-07-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Check out Evanston, Skokie, Lincolnwood, and Morton Grove. They are close to Chicago, high on diversity, very progressive, and have lots of convenient shopping and dining.
We looked at Evanston the last time around, my issue is that even though it is diverse, it's not very integrated. ETHS has had some issues that reflect this somewhat. Will take a second look. Schools in Lincolnwood and Skokie seem hit or miss, but will check those out too.

I don't mind going further north, i.e., Wilmette, Northbrook, Highland Park. Not sure if New Trier would work. Seems like NT and Stevenson may be too big/too much pressure. I don't know anything about their Special Ed programs, either, I would have to check those as well.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
AH also has very good special ed/services, as do a lot of the north shore school districts such as Deerfield, Highland Park, Glenview, Northbrook, Vernon Hills, Libertville and what feeds into Stevenson HS. You will have to decide how far ‘close to Chicago’ may extend if schools/better services are boxes that must be checked.

Libertyville and Vernon Hills are too far north, I think. Lake Forest is nice too, but seems to be far and a bit isolated, although that just might be ignorance on my part.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
We looked at Evanston the last time around, my issue is that even though it is diverse, it's not very integrated. ETHS has had some issues that reflect this somewhat. Will take a second look. Schools in Lincolnwood and Skokie seem hit or miss, but will check those out too.

I don't mind going further north, i.e., Wilmette, Northbrook, Highland Park. Not sure if New Trier would work. Seems like NT and Stevenson may be too big/too much pressure. I don't know anything about their Special Ed programs, either, I would have to check those as well.

Thanks for your input.
You will unfortunately have to pick a lane. Heading further north away from the ‘inner ring’ suburbs means a lot less diversity/integration.

I would encourage you to not get too focused necessarily on the sizes of the schools but what they offer, how they handle IEPs, etc.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Libertyville and Vernon Hills are too far north, I think. Lake Forest is nice too, but seems to be far and a bit isolated, although that just might be ignorance on my part.
I understand. Far from what though? You will necessarily be working in/commuting to downtown Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs