Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,416 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on areas to live in Aurora. Looking for good school district for two kids. What about public transportion via train west of Aurora (Rock Falls / Sterling? I have een told that train service is available and it is fast and reliable. Is this too far? Looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,072 times
Cool Hi

I live in Aurora near the business complexes near Rt 59. Waubonsee High School is nearby. I didn't raise my kids in the area as I moved from Indiana 3 years ago so I can't really say much about the schools here but it looks nice.

The BNFS branch of the Metra deadends in Aurora. There are two stops. Looks to be a lot of parking if you are planning to commute to Chicago or otherwise eastward. We also have PACE Bus Service but it must be somewhat limited as I don't see buses constantly on the go.

There is a lot of retail and a lot of building going on. The city seems to have a plan with the new businesses and there is a lot of green and decorative water here.

Any specific questions?

Sherry

Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,175 times
Theres some bad parts of Aurora so check it out well before you decide where to live . Funny youre moving here from florida when i want to live in florida. Are you near the Ocala area or Pensacola area by chance ? Im considering both of these areas. Can you tell me anything about them ??? Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,541,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Pena View Post
Any suggestions on areas to live in Aurora. Looking for good school district for two kids. What about public transportion via train west of Aurora (Rock Falls / Sterling? I have een told that train service is available and it is fast and reliable. Is this too far? Looking for ideas.
You may want to look for an area that falls in Naperville's school district. Some parts of Aurora fall in Naperville schools, and Naperville schools rate highly.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
I don't think there's any train service (metra or Amtrak) that heads west from Aurora, only east toward the city.

How often would you want to be going out to Rock Falls? Like one weekends or a commute? That's over and hour and a half drive, not something I'd want to do on a daily basis.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:36 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Sterling/RockFalls are not close to Aurora AT ALL! I mean 80 miles!!! Even if there were a train from there (and THERE IS NOT) it would be way too far.

Aurora is a BIG suburb, wWhahere you going to be working? What sort of work do you do? There are parts of Aurora that are very nice. It is bordered by many towns that also have great housing. You have to tell us more. Driving is the most common way for people in Aurora to get to work, they have a decent bus based transit system, nothing special.The reverse commute FROM Chicago via commuter train is not real popular, very little of Aurora's employment bas is near the train. Amtrak train don't run to Aurora, they do run from Naperville to Mendotta (which is about 60 miles west) but NOT on a schedule that you could use for commuting

What are looking to spend? There are nice affordable rentals all over the area. If you don't mind of drive about 30 minutes or so you can find a decent house to buy in the areas near most Aurora employment for under $150k.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:13 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
there is not a commuter train that runs west from aurora. burlington northern ends in aurora. As far as school districts, there is east aurora..you don't want to go there, or west aurora. there are parts of aurora that are in the naperville school district on the far east border with naperville. there are also parts of the far west area in aurora that are in the Kaneland School District. It depends on what type of home you are looking for, price range, and how important it is to be close to the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs