Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I have less experience with Clarendon Hills, though I know it's a beautiful town. Am I wrong to say that, compared to the others mentioned, it's a bit different? Less of a grid format, a lot of post WWII builds?

To be fair, towns like La Grange have plenty of that housing stock, but is more isolated as you move south of 47.
North of the train tracks, Clarendon Hills pretty much has a standard grid. South of the tracks the roads wind. However, many older suburbs don't have grids either. Lake Forest does not have a standard grid, though it is unique on the North Shore in that it has a quadrant numbering system. Most of the North Shore numbering is on a north and west axis.

Anyway, Clarendon Hills has had more teardown activity than just about anywhere else. You can still find some homes built in before the '40s, but much, if not most, of the housing stock is post '80s. Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale share the same school districts. To me, Clarendon Hills feels like an extension of Hinsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 06:48 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
North of the train tracks, Clarendon Hills pretty much has a standard grid. South of the tracks the roads wind. However, many older suburbs don't have grids either. Lake Forest does not have a standard grid, though it is unique on the North Shore in that it has a quadrant numbering system. Most of the North Shore numbering is on a north and west axis.

Anyway, Clarendon Hills has had more teardown activity than just about anywhere else. You can still find some homes built in before the '40s, but much, if not most, of the housing stock is post '80s. Clarendon Hills and Hinsdale share the same school districts. To me, Clarendon Hills feels like an extension of Hinsdale.
A small portion on the western end of town feeds into Westmont schools, something to be aware of if searching there.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 3,553 times
Our budget is pretty generous - we’re hoping this will be our forever home so we are willing to pay more - $800,000 ish is fine. We do need to be at least in Hinsdale or west- so oak park and la grange are not really options. Neither of us will be commuting DT Chicago so trains and that really dot matter.

We are looking for good community, safe, great schools, lots of parks and community events. We don’t need to be able to walk to the Dt area but we would like a nice dt area. Does this help a little more?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:23 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, are a good bet if you want to be further west.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:50 AM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
Hiru is right on: Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills are like brother and sister...

I would shoot for Hinsdale or Clarendon Hills (you will get a lot more for your $$$ in CH) as first choice then Downers Grove as a second choice. Especially if you plan on spending that kind of money. These are closer to Downtown Chicago and will best protect/ensure your investment long term. They are very friendly commuter towns (Don't discount the investment protection this element brings) with nice/walkable downtown areas also. you get a sense of community living in them... I would not go past Downers Grove and spend that kind of money... Of course all 3 have very good schools, are super safe and known as highly desirable towns...

That's my 2 cents... Looking forward to your opinion after you visit and personally explore/experience them.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Hiru is right on: Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills are like brother and sister...

I would shoot for Hinsdale or Clarendon Hills (you will get a lot more for your $$$ in CH) as first choice then Downers Grove as a second choice. Especially if you plan on spending that kind of money. These are closer to Downtown Chicago and will best protect/ensure your investment long term. They are very friendly commuter towns (Don't discount the investment protection this element brings) with nice/walkable downtown areas also. you get a sense of community living in them... I would not go past Downers Grove and spend that kind of money... Of course all 3 have very good schools, are super safe and known as highly desirable towns...

That's my 2 cents... Looking forward to your opinion after you visit and personally explore/experience them.
And if the right house is not available in Clarendon Hills or Hinsdale, I would absolutely consider shift a mile east to Western Springs. It will mean only a few minutes on commute time. We loved it there.. Awesome little town, great schools, very upscale, diverse housing stock.

If you head north/northwest from that belt, I'd prefer Elmhurst to Glyn Ellyn to Wheaton. But, Elmhurst too may be a bit too far east/close to the city. Wheaton's reputation for being a bit more conservative may be a pro or con depending on your compass. As for Downers Grove, there is something about it that I don't find as appealing as the rest.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:28 PM

748 posts, read 832,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
And if the right house is not available in Clarendon Hills or Hinsdale, I would absolutely consider shift a mile east to Western Springs. It will mean only a few minutes on commute time. We loved it there.. Awesome little town, great schools, very upscale, diverse housing stock.

If you head north/northwest from that belt, I'd prefer Elmhurst to Glyn Ellyn to Wheaton. But, Elmhurst too may be a bit too far east/close to the city. Wheaton's reputation for being a bit more conservative may be a pro or con depending on your compass. As for Downers Grove, there is something about it that I don't find as appealing as the rest.
Regarding Downers Grove - if you are in the area that comprises the Pierce Downer school district, it is every bit as desirable as almost anywhere in the western Suburbs. For 800K you can get a pretty nice home (although it will certainly not be the nicest in the area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs