U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM

501 posts, read 416,850 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, the local governments that levy property taxes are going to take what they or the 'public' has decided they should take. That just gets spread around to all the property owners. If everyone's property goes down in value, the tax levy is still the same, just that they rate goes up.

Also public schools are cancers on the tax payer and prisons for our youth. Prove me wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 11:00 AM

9,928 posts, read 14,932,552 times
No argument there. I had to deal with teachers that were so awful at teaching and classroom management that I wish I had the option to just learn online. I suspect that is going to be a more and more significant factor in the future with failing public schools such as Chicago's. Also you don't have to deal with political groups diverting the curricula away from teaching useful skills to stuff like gay history week etc.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:05 PM

12,303 posts, read 3,655,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsDogsSun View Post
Hearing about homeowners' taxes increasing so much while the market values are down or at best flat is sobering. I thought it was just the pensions causing this problem but it sounds like it is also the public schools. I think it is unfair to charge all homeowners so much when they may not have children or do not have children who go to public school.
Property tax increases are WHY values are down and there is no reason to believe this will change or improve.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 PM

4,016 posts, read 2,992,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Also public schools are cancers on the tax payer and prisons for our youth. Prove me wrong.
Public schools aren’t the problem. Apathetic citizens/taxpayers are.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

5 posts, read 1,582 times
Sorry for digging this up, also thinking of buying a home in Deerfield and notice the 2019 tax is close to 2.5% of the asking price. How much has the property tax fluctuate for the past few years?

On a separate note, is Deerfield considered to be an Asian friendly community, interms of safety, grocery, school, etc? How diverse is the population?

Thanks!

Old Today, 12:16 AM

2,517 posts, read 1,608,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3gg View Post
Sorry for digging this up, also thinking of buying a home in Deerfield and notice the 2019 tax is close to 2.5% of the asking price. How much has the property tax fluctuate for the past few years?

On a separate note, is Deerfield considered to be an Asian friendly community, interms of safety, grocery, school, etc? How diverse is the population?

Thanks!
Property taxes in this area don’t generally fluctuate. With little exception, expect an increase of 50+% over 15-20 years. They almost always increase regardless of market value. However, the appeals process in Illinois is fairly straightforward.

“Asian-friendly” is subjective. Deerfield is pretty homogenous and known for being mostly Jewish and white Protestant Christian. It’s by no means diverse, and it’s closely-related communities of Highland Park, Riverwoods, and Bannockburn don’t add much diversity. Glenview and Buffalo Grove are much more racially diverse.

Old Today, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 1,582 times
That is very helpful. Thank you!

Old Today, 02:01 PM

15 posts, read 6,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Glenview and Buffalo Grove are much more racially diverse.
Yes. Also, if you’re looking for an “Asian-friendly” burb near/like Deerfield, I think Northbrook (especially west?) has a good size Asian population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs