Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,319,626 times

Advertisements

Steve, there are only two confirmed sightings since the 1800's. We are talking Illinois. But I also do not believe they are as common as you are suggesting in Missouri or Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,187,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Steve, there are only two confirmed sightings since the 1800's. We are talking Illinois. But I also do not believe they are as common as you are suggesting in Missouri or Minnesota.
2 confirmed? Im seeing over 150 sightings since 1950!
Cougars in Illinois - by James Krohe Jr.- Illinois Issues

Another article:
The beast of the bluffs - Features - Feature - Illinois Times - Springfield, Illinois

From Minnesota (scroll down article for pics):
Mountain Lion sighting - Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists Discussion Forums

Now granted, cougars are very secretive and mostly nocturnal hunters. Your chances of seeing them are pretty slim, but theyre definitely out there and growing in numbers across the midwest. There is evidence of this trend and cougar numbers will continue to grow.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM

those are not confirmed sightings. The only confirmation is the two that were killed (now three). And your first source says this:

"To conclude that cougars are again resident in Illinois, however, is to get ahead of the facts. Not all the animals reported as cougars are cougars, and not all the cougars sighted may be wild cougars, and not all the wild cougars sighted are members of breeding
populations. "

Obviously something is happening and they may be populating here once again. I find it really interesting.

But all these sightings you guys are so sure about are pretty funny. If it were that commonplace it would not be on the front page of the Tribune. There would be education programs for kids on what to do if you see a cougar, it would be a protected species because it exists here. It is not protected here because it is not thought to be part of the enviornment here!

I understand things are changing, possibly, due to overcrowding out west. But come on guys...you have seen a few cougars? Did you stare it down? Were just driving down the street in Chicago and you saw a cougar?

okay....

Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM

313 posts, read 594,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
2 confirmed? Im seeing over 150 sightings since 1950!
Cougars in Illinois - by James Krohe Jr.- Illinois Issues

Another article:
The beast of the bluffs - Features - Feature - Illinois Times - Springfield, Illinois

From Minnesota (scroll down article for pics):
Mountain Lion sighting - Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists Discussion Forums

Now granted, cougars are very secretive and mostly nocturnal hunters. Your chances of seeing them are pretty slim, but theyre definitely out there and growing in numbers across the midwest. There is evidence of this trend and cougar numbers will continue to grow.
Well, there have also been numerous bigfoot sightings in Illinois in the past century. Which is not to say there aren't cougars in IL, but that I'd bet that the great majority of those reports are false.

The surprising thing is that one would be in Wilmette, which would require it to cross all of the other suburbs and millions of people, when we tend to have exterminated cougars and wolves without a strong instinctive fear of humans.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I understand things are changing, possibly, due to overcrowding out west. But come on guys...you have seen a few cougars? Did you stare it down? Were just driving down the street in Chicago and you saw a cougar?

okay....
Overcrowding out west? Not even close. Sure some cities are growing, but there is more than enough room for them to go around. Theyre pushing this way because their food source is more abundant here than most areas out west. Think of the unlimited numbers of deer, turkey, rabbit, etc out here... Its a cougar's paradise out here.

Ive never seen one myself, but theyre not hard to distinguish, ya know? I believe the sightings, because there is nothing else that they look like. What could they confuse them with? Theyve got pictures of them, found some that were hit by trains, etc.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM

One of the sightings was the one hit by a train.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
The surprising thing is that one would be in Wilmette, which would require it to cross all of the other suburbs and millions of people, when we tend to have exterminated cougars and wolves without a strong instinctive fear of humans.
Well, believe what you want, I think photographic proof is all I need to make up my mind. In fact, theyve also monitored the movement of some via radio collars and have tracked movement from South Dakota to Minnesota within the span of a few months.

And why is it crazy to believe that these animals cant move across Chicagoland undetected? Remember that coyote that ended up in the Subway restaurant downtown a few years ago? Ive seen a dang peacock (!!!!) in my old West Chicago neighborhood. There was also an alligator swimming in the Fox River a few years ago (released pet). You wouldnt believe the strange things animals do, or where they occur. Animals are masters at being secretive, you could probably be 5 feet from a cougar in a forest and never even notice it. It wouldnt be a problem for one to slip undetected anywhere it pleases.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,303,677 times
Years ago, A former co-worker saw a wallaby in their backyard in westchester. The police had said there were numerous call-ins about it. Probably an escaped pet. Brookfield zoo (which is close to there) said it wasn't theirs.

Escaped/wild cougars - I am more than a little scared about... they can eat you.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM

101 posts, read 385,296 times
Pretty much agree with everything Steve-o has said.

Are they common? No. But they are definitely extending there range (as are wolves). There are so many deer it's just inevitable.

Animals like this are extremely secretive and can roam an amazing distance in just one night if they want. As far as being scared your chances of being attacked by a cougar in the suburbs of Chicago are right up there with winning the Mega-millions lotto.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLUTZ View Post
Pretty much agree with everything Steve-o has said.

Are they common? No. But they are definitely extending there range (as are wolves). There are so many deer it's just inevitable.

Animals like this are extremely secretive and can roam an amazing distance in just one night if they want. As far as being scared your chances of being attacked by a cougar in the suburbs of Chicago are right up there with winning the Mega-millions lotto.
Absolutely. Theyve tracked their movement as far as 30 miles in a single night. Incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs