Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 08:47 AM

44 posts, read 47,971 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're contemplating a move that would require us to live in (or close to) either Schaumburg or Elgin and we're trying to figure out what town/suburb in that area is likely to be a good fit:
- We've got two middle-school-aged kids, but we're more interested in progressive/charter/alternative schools than whether the public schools get high rankings on paper.
- We're from Boston, so are used to crazy-high housing prices and would prefer an older home to new construction or a 1970s split-level. (We'll be purchasing a house and would like to keep it under $400K.)
- We're unabashedly liberal and secular and the type of people who get involved in local politics and community organizations.
- We'd like some color and religious diversity among our neighbors and schools.
- We like to be able to walk to parks, schools, restaurants, stores, libraries, etc. and also be able to jump on public transportation into Chicago.
- We DON'T want to live in a neighborhood where everyone has lived there for generations and they aren't open to "outsiders." We also DON'T want to live in a neighborhood that everyone treats as a bedroom community for Chicago.

Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 11:32 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Truthfully, there’s very little of your bucket list which would be checked in either of those areas besides your housing budget. I suggest looking at ‘inner ring’ suburbs to provide more of what you are after.

Keep in mind that individual neighborhoods and the people that reside there can vary like the midwest weather . This type of thing is more trial and error. Rent for a year before you commit to buying anything in this regard.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:38 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I grew up in that area and lived in Elgin for quite awhile. I graduated from Schaumburg high school. I won't tell you when lol.

I also owned a property in Hanover Park which we sold in November, so I know the area quite well. I have always loved Elgin, but I would not want to raise my kids there. Yes, there are beautiful old houses on the West side of town. I love that part of town. I also love Lords Park on the East end and it's always been one of my favorite places. I however, wouldn't go there at night in the summer. The school district is U46 and I actually drove a school bus for them in my early 20's. It was very diverse then and still is. The crime rate is about average, the school district isn't rated at the top nor the bottom. There are sections you definitely need to stay away from. I can understand your wanting to live in an old town. The houses are amazing and I was fortunate enough to have lived in two apartments in old houses in my 20's. I swore that I would never leave Elgin but life changes and so do decisions. We live in an old town full of old houses that has a far better school district and quality of life in my opinion. If you want to PM me we can talk about it.

Schaumburg has houses built in the 60's and they are not built to last like the old houses. I just sold one that was built in that era. District 54 is a better school district than U46, but the housing is a trade off.

I'm curious, why did you choose those areas?

Old 06-14-2019, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 8,407 times
Was looking at Schaumburg myself and got advised to look at Arlington Heights and Mount Pleasant.

Still trying to figure out what does the 'inner ring'/ tier 1 suburbs entail.... explanation appreciated

Old 06-14-2019, 02:10 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberiq View Post
Was looking at Schaumburg myself and got advised to look at Arlington Heights and Mount Pleasant.

Still trying to figure out what does the 'inner ring'/ tier 1 suburbs entail.... explanation appreciated
AH and Mt Prospect are generally more desirable and would punch a few more on the bucket list.

Keep in mind the quality of public schools in these last two suburbs is really good, as well as a great swath of the northern/NW burbs. Charter/alternative schools predominantly don’t enter the picture unless you are dealing with public/neighborhood schools in some parts of the city of Chicago.

Inner ring ‘burbs are mostly immediately outside the city limits, such as Evanston, Skokie or Oak Park. More of your bucket list would be punched there. Housing costs and taxes go up though.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:17 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberiq View Post

Inner-ring refers to the communities that form a collar around the Chicago city limits. They are typically communities with a grid street pattern (they don't necessarily align with Chicago's), public transit options, and some level of walkability. Examples of suburbs like these would include Evanston, Park Ridge, Oak Park, Berwyn, Evergreen Park, River Forest, Wilmette, and Elmwood Park among others. Some expand the boundaries to include communities like Western Springs, La Grange, and Winnetka. I think in practice that is probably fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey123 View Post
We've got two middle-school-aged kids, but we're more interested in progressive/charter/alternative schools than whether the public schools get high rankings on paper.
Public schools in suburban Chicago are perceived to be pretty strong in general, so there is not a lot of demand for the type of educational options you describe. You would most likely have to pursue private education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs