Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

I guess this could be said for the CTA trains too (if you're in a suburb closer in), but the metra is obviously much faster. Just wondering, for those who have lived in the chicago area a while, do you prefer driving to work (given the chance) or taking the metra (and walking from ogilvie/union station)?

I ask since my work has two offices, I used to visit our downtown office and take the metra in most of the week (a good hour and 10 min train ride), but as time has gone on I now mainly drive to our other office in the suburbs (45min drive). It's definitely a different experience. I like the productive time I can spend on the train, but not the longer ride. On the other hand I enjoy driving to our other office because I have my own vehicle.

Interested to hear others experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM

93 posts, read 125,937 times
While we live in Northwest Indiana, my husband drives to the South Loop. He only drives because it's more convenient than taking the Metra or South Shore; there isn't a close stop to his job.

When we used to live in Illinois, he would take the Metra to his former job on Michigan Avenue, and he enjoyed the time it gave him to be more productive. Driving is definitely a hassle, especially with traffic, but he doesn't mind it as he's not tied to a specific schedule.

Last edited by Ditto97; 06-16-2019 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I guess this could be said for the CTA trains too (if you're in a suburb closer in), but the metra is obviously much faster. Just wondering, for those who have lived in the chicago area a while, do you prefer driving to work (given the chance) or taking the metra (and walking from ogilvie/union station)?

I ask since my work has two offices, I used to visit our downtown office and take the metra in most of the week (a good hour and 10 min train ride), but as time has gone on I now mainly drive to our other office in the suburbs (45min drive). It's definitely a different experience. I like the productive time I can spend on the train, but not the longer ride. On the other hand I enjoy driving to our other office because I have my own vehicle.

Interested to hear others experiences.
Evanston and Wilmette have CTA, but Metra is still faster from both towns. If I had an standard hours office job in the loop, I would definitely take the train. Traffic is just too painful.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:24 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
My life would be dramatically different if I did not have Metra as an option.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:33 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
I like driving to work, but only if it's in a suburb like Oak Brook, Deerfield, Schaumburg, Naperville etc.

I would never, ever, ever commute by car into downtown if my workday was 9-5, though I know people who do, and surprisingly those people are still sane.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:49 AM

207 posts, read 213,609 times
Traveling into the City for work = Metra
Traveling to another suburb = Car

Old 06-17-2019, 07:12 AM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
Work = Metra... You would go crazy driving in that traffic daily. Look at home prices walkable to stations - very good reason they commend premium lake front pricing...

Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Agree if you have a set routine and reasonable walk, the train always wins.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 AM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
Important Note: In a lot of cases (downtown Chicago) employers provide shuttles to and from office to the station terminals. if the office is not walkable... Again train system is highly valuable and makes for pleasant commute especially compared to driving...

Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
For those of you who take the train, how far is your work from Ogilvie/Union station?

My work is a good 20-25 minute walk (20 minutes if I power walk it haha) from union, so in bad weather it's not a super tolerable walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs