U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,065 times

Advertisements

They treat their residents disrespectfully. Milking them out of tons of money with street parking tickets, asinine permit fees and regulations. Extorting ridiculous amounts of money from real estate transfer fees. Other suburbs, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, etc. etc. don't operate so corruptly and make you feel good about living there. And they are head and shoulders above Berwyn in reputation and property value. I will never recommend Berwyn as a place to move to, and instead have dissuaded all my friends NOT to ever buy or move here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 04:22 PM

3,972 posts, read 9,234,412 times
Are you moving?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM

9,892 posts, read 14,854,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry6 View Post
They treat their residents disrespectfully. Milking them out of tons of money with street parking tickets, asinine permit fees and regulations. Extorting ridiculous amounts of money from real estate transfer fees. Other suburbs, Glen Ellyn, Downers Grove, etc. etc. don't operate so corruptly and make you feel good about living there. And they are head and shoulders above Berwyn in reputation and property value. I will never recommend Berwyn as a place to move to, and instead have dissuaded all my friends NOT to ever buy or move here.
This is a problem in most of the Chicago area particularly in more heavily Democrat controlled areas. The Government serves themselves primarily and the people second. Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove are in Dupage Co and are a bit more conservative than many places in Crook County.

When I moved to Lombard last year I was immediately struck by how much better run it was. I can take my dogs for a walk in the park without obnoxious no dogs signs everywhere. I can go to sleep at night and be certain my car isn't going to be taken/towed for whatever asinine reason they can come up with, I don't even need to buy a sticker. There aren't corrupt Red Light and Speed Cameras on every corner. The fewer corrupt Dems "helping working people like myself" the better the quality of life is.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM

2,150 posts, read 1,076,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry6 View Post

Had your residents not voted out a certain former Mayor who was trying to rid the city of corrupt teamsters unions; life in Berwyn would be much rosier.
Berwyn residents have only themselves to blame for the mess.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,061,665 times
Well, there is only one thing to do......

https://youtu.be/BudQ9YWx0X8

Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM

4,026 posts, read 6,591,213 times
I don't exactly agree. I am a building owner in Berwyn. The permit and transfer fees are present in other suburbs too. I will agree their building department is strict and petty, and they let people put huge trailer additions on homes that are bungalows in violation of their ordinaces and then harass other homeowners for petty infractions. No consistency there. The parking tickets, well Berwyn is one of the most densely populated suburbs and they do have some parking issues around some of the apartment buildings so maybe ticking is warranted. Many complain about the red light cameras on Harlem and Cermak. And the proliferation of gaming parlors is bad. There are some bright spots. They are good about attracting businesses and have a strong cadre of aldermen and women who try. And many people actually love that Mayor. In contrast, the city that I live in, Wheaton, seems to be well run but when you scratch the surface, its like there is "nobody home" there. They are not good at attracting businesses and they have many stores vacant. Very different demographic here but its a completely different type of suburb. They also have cops that set speed traps and ticket too.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:30 AM

2,536 posts, read 1,489,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Well, there is only one thing to do......

https://youtu.be/BudQ9YWx0X8
"Berrrrrwynnn"

Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 PM

23 posts, read 18,542 times
I agree that the transfer tax is a completely unnecessary gouge. It's unreasonably high compared to the most of the rest of the region.

I know it's something I should have known before buying here (first time buyer at the time, so didn't understand due diligence as well as I should have) but on the flip side I'm not sure it would have knocked me off buying my starter home here. Berwyn has a lot going for it. It think it'll continue to draw in first time home buyers from the city. If Berwyn can get more of us to stick longer-term, they could hit a real positive inflection. Location, transportation, convenience are all fantastic. Schools need a lot of work, but the recent tax hike may help a bit there.

My home has appreciated from $240K purchase to ~$315K est. today in the five years I've been here. Even if the city steals 1% from me on the way out, I've still done much, much better than many other areas and price points in the Chi MSA in terms of % appreciation over last five years. I'd recommend Berwyn to people if it fits their needs, but with an as informed view as possible of the pros/cons.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:47 PM

2,470 posts, read 1,560,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
This is a problem in most of the Chicago area particularly in more heavily Democrat controlled areas. The Government serves themselves primarily and the people second. Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove are in Dupage Co and are a bit more conservative than many places in Crook County.

When I moved to Lombard last year I was immediately struck by how much better run it was. I can take my dogs for a walk in the park without obnoxious no dogs signs everywhere. I can go to sleep at night and be certain my car isn't going to be taken/towed for whatever asinine reason they can come up with, I don't even need to buy a sticker. There aren't corrupt Red Light and Speed Cameras on every corner. The fewer corrupt Dems "helping working people like myself" the better the quality of life is.
I’m to the right-of-center, but there are a lot of heavily Democratic communities like Evanston, Glencoe, Highland Park, Deerfield, and Northbrook that have governments that are exemplary. Evanston government is very transparent and extremely responsive. My experiences with the City of Evanston have been better than with the pretty right-wing City of Lake Forest, that wrote me a $125 ticket for no city sticker...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs