Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Maryland to Chicago with a 13and 11 year old. We are looking at Glenview/ Wilmette area versus Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills area. I would like smaller schools perhaps Catholic. Would anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on which areas are better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 05:09 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
HS in 2yrs or middle school now?
Also, what population/size do you consider ‘small’? Keep in mind the public schools in those nice areas (both great, really) are top notch. Few if any catholic schools, especially at the higher grades, offer comparable amenities. YMMV

Last edited by damba; 10-01-2019 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Missed info

Old 10-01-2019, 05:24 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If your primary target will be parochial high schools I’d probably lean toward Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills as there are more options and the relative wasted property taxes are gonna be somewhat less...

North suburbs have basically Loyola Academy (co-ed) and maybe Woodlands (girls only) Western surburbs have Nazerth, St. Joes, Fenwick, Montini, Benet, all co-ed.

I agree with Damba that quality is almost certainly superior in public, but if you want the social aspects it is even a bigger reason to prefer western suburbs as there are simply far more options and the relative “ιsolution” that new comers might encounter at Loyola might be a factor — draws from pool of kids who’ve mostly spent 8+ years together...

Old 10-01-2019, 05:29 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtochicagoland View Post
We are moving from Maryland to Chicago with a 13and 11 year old. We are looking at Glenview/ Wilmette area versus Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills area. I would like smaller schools perhaps Catholic. Would anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on which areas are better?
Christian Heritage or OLPH --> Loyola is very common in Wilmette/Glenview. All three have strong reputations.

Christian Heritage is small, K-12. It's in Northfield (might as well be in Glenview). OLPH, though it has a reputation as being large, is only 800-900 across K-12. Both really good options. Loyola has ~2000 students, but does offer the split campus experience (Freshman/Sophomore and Junior/Senior).

In the case of Glenview, many of the towns nicest neighborhoods are within walking distance to OLPH which sits in downtown Glenview. Very common to see OLPH/Loyola flags, signs, etc. in the broader downtown and East Glenview area. Be aware that downtown Glenview is fairly basic, though it continues to evolve into a proper main drag. Another mixed use building is going up on Glenview road, and is supposed to host condos, and options for a shop/restaurant/bar. it's complete on the East side of Waukegan where there is a brewery, and more commercial development.

Up the road, Northwest of downtown, is The Glen. Good, bad or indifferent, It operates as the real Town Center. Really nice facilities in Glenview as a result of that massive 2000s development- Pretty remarkable bike/walking paths, "lake", athletic fields, Recreation Center, etc. all in The Glen.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:55 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If your primary target will be parochial high schools I’d probably lean toward Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills as there are more options and the relative wasted property taxes are gonna be somewhat less...
We spend more on public education up here than they do in the western suburbs.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:21 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
We spend more on public education up here than they do in the western suburbs.
Not disagreeing one bit! That’s why the taxes are significantly higher, and a “bigger waste” for someone focused on private schools...

(...and I will even say that based on outcomes there is not really much to show for that extra speeding. If the OP does decide to forego private schools and chooses 181 for elementary there are like four schools in the state’s current top ten. If they also decide to choose D86 over private high schools the record of top performing kids from Hinsdale Central making a mark at Ivies, UofC, Stanford and other highly selective schools is dollar-for-dollar a better value than NT, and that is not to take anything away from NT which I still hold as the finest non selective public high school in Illinois. And that is not to throw shade on Stevenson or any other schools that fill that top tier of Illinois, just recognition that sometimes spending more does get lots of nice to have things that don’t necessarily reveal themselves in the admittance rates to selective colleges...)

Old 10-01-2019, 07:38 PM

188 posts, read 209,339 times
For Catholic Schools, Wilmette has St Francis Xavier for PreK-8. It’s a beautiful church and in a great walkable location. Loyola and Regina Domenica-(all girls) are located in Wilmette as well. While I dont have any personal experience with the schools, the families that go there seem to love it.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Christian Heritage or OLPH --> Loyola is very common in Wilmette/Glenview. All three have strong reputations.

Christian Heritage is small, K-12. It's in Northfield (might as well be in Glenview). OLPH, though it has a reputation as being large, is only 800-900 across K-12. Both really good options. Loyola has ~2000 students, but does offer the split campus experience (Freshman/Sophomore and Junior/Senior).

In the case of Glenview, many of the towns nicest neighborhoods are within walking distance to OLPH which sits in downtown Glenview. Very common to see OLPH/Loyola flags, signs, etc. in the broader downtown and East Glenview area. Be aware that downtown Glenview is fairly basic, though it continues to evolve into a proper main drag. Another mixed use building is going up on Glenview road, and is supposed to host condos, and options for a shop/restaurant/bar. it's complete on the East side of Waukegan where there is a brewery, and more commercial development.

Up the road, Northwest of downtown, is The Glen. Good, bad or indifferent, It operates as the real Town Center. Really nice facilities in Glenview as a result of that massive 2000s development- Pretty remarkable bike/walking paths, "lake", athletic fields, Recreation Center, etc. all in The Glen.
K-12 for Christian Heritage, and K-8 for OLPH.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:04 AM

188 posts, read 209,339 times
I will also add this. Years ago we looked at the EXACT options for towns that you are considering. Honestly, all of the options are really great and I even find Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills to be beautiful...in some cases more beautiful than WILMETTE. Nonetheless, we chose to move to Wilmette instead of west and I have NEVER once questioned the decision. I just find there is more to do on the Northshore than the Western burbs.

Just my two cents. I’m sure I’ll take the heat for this comment but.....

Old 10-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosges View Post
I will also add this. Years ago we looked at the EXACT options for towns that you are considering. Honestly, all of the options are really great and I even find Hinsdale and Clarendon Hills to be beautiful...in some cases more beautiful than WILMETTE. Nonetheless, we chose to move to Wilmette instead of west and I have NEVER once questioned the decision. I just find there is more to do on the Northshore than the Western burbs.

Just my two cents. I’m sure I’ll take the heat for this comment but.....
No, I agree. And though access to the loop is not easier (though I think express from Glenview is the fastest of the bunch), access to the North Side/North West side is. Bonus for me as I spend the majority of time between the Lakeview, Wicker, and River North.

I do appreciate the beauty of Hinsdale, but I prefer the look and feel of Wilmette. A definite edge to Hinsdale's core, but I like the more tight-knit neighborhoods of Central and East Wilmette, and the water access. Ditto the bordering neighborhoods in Evanston.

Clarendon Hills is older than Glenview, so there is a bit more charm and uniformity throughout. But, it's the smallest, and offer very little convenience as compared to Glenview. Glenview, though it hosts it's share of pre WWII neighborhoods, is more of a mixed bag. Estates and country roads in East Glenview/Golf, grid neighborhoods around Glenview road, beautiful post WWII development in Swainwood, and the new boxier luxury houses in The Glen. There is a certain aesthetic and appeal in Swainwood, and on Linneman/Dewes/Henley/Robincrest south of Downtown/Glenview Rd. A little more "Leave it to Beaver" than the other towns you're considering.. Trees, newer homes, older homes, large homes, small homes, varying designs and styles, beautiful parks, pool, etc.

Swainwood: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0752...7i16384!8i8192

Dewes/Henley/Linneman/Larkdale/Robincrest: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0704...7i16384!8i8192

A few of the different neighborhoods in East Glenview: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0850...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0678...7i16384!8i8192

General consensus around desirability would probably be Wilmette/Hinsdale, and then Glenview/Clarendon Hills. As far as public schools, they're a wash. All tops on the State. As for short/long term investment, I think Wilmette seems to be the most stable.. I'd recommend you look into values, past vs. present vs. future. I'd trust Clarendon Hills the least. If you're coming from the DC suburbs, do not expect that same growth in home values in IL. If you're coming from the Baltimore area, then it should be similar.. 1-2% annual growth in stable inner ring suburbs, and neighborhoods close to town centers/trains. Expect the other areas to stay flat or devalue altogether.

Last edited by mwj119; 10-02-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs