Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 583 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move from Bangalore to chicago in January. My office is in "W Chicago Avenue" and I need some help in finding good near by home and schools for my 4th grader. Here is some criteria that I have
1. Shorter commute time to my son
2. Prefer close to my office as well (If not, public transportation should be good enough). I will buy car but initially need to rely on transport.
3. Indian community and close to Indian shops, restaurants (even prefer close to temples)
4. Kids safe neighbourhood

Also please suggest typical house rent (3 BHK preferred) and living costs for a family of 2 adults and 1 kid.

Please advice.

Last edited by kvgopal19; 10-26-2019 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,371,792 times
Knowing were on Chicago Ave could help. W. Chicago ave could be anywhere from State St to Melrose Park. Assuming it is somewhere near the northern downtown area I'd pick a suburb on the red, purple, or blue line and take the L in. Unless your kids get into one of the magnet schools noone with a choice sends their kids to Chicago Public Schools so if you lived in the city you'd probably have to fork out big bucks for private school. Wilmette is a good option. You can hop on the purple line in. Skokie is another option you can take the yellow line to the red/purple line in. Oak Park and taking the green line in is also a good option.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:29 AM

43 posts, read 29,505 times
I am looking to relocate to Chicagoland within the next year and most of the questions you have asked, are covered by a half-active research using niche.com, zillow.com, schooldigger.com google maps and this very website (not only the forum section).

We all have different preferences, of course, I can speak for myself only -- but I was certain, after checking the attributes important to me using the aforementioned resources, I won't be anywhere near the City of Chicago thus opting out for a longer commute, low crime, awesome schools and tranquil boredom of suburbia. But that's me.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:57 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,218,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb23 View Post
I am looking to relocate to Chicagoland within the next year and most of the questions you have asked, are covered by a half-active research using niche.com, zillow.com, schooldigger.com google maps and this very website (not only the forum section).

We all have different preferences, of course, I can speak for myself only -- but I was certain, after checking the attributes important to me using the aforementioned resources, I won't be anywhere near the City of Chicago thus opting out for a longer commute, low crime, awesome schools and tranquil boredom of suburbia. But that's me.
I thought WOW. Forget close suburbs even and such a attitude (though honest) I'm thinking -- Why would he even choose Chicagoland? When there is a whole Nation to choose. I'd hope you make a visit first at least......

But some suburbanites feel the some Some less so. Sadly schools are the top reason some leave the city after children come to school-age. But you have many other reasons better left unsaid.

Good luck though in your search and adapting to Continental Northern winters. I believe you said moving in January ...... Summer to JN Fen to be WOEST of winter months to adjust too. Best to choose summer thru Early Autumn to ACCLIMATE the way we all do. Should be sufficient to acclimate thru Autumn first. Northern suburbs are great though.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-04-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 11-04-2019, 01:05 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,371,792 times
I personally go into the city only a couple of times each year. It holds nothing of interest for me and it is a pain to drive into and park and they are so desperate for money with nickel and dime taxes and fees and those red light and speed scamera's on every intersection.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:13 PM

215 posts, read 150,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvgopal19 View Post
Hi,

I am planning to move from Bangalore to chicago in January. My office is in "W Chicago Avenue" and I need some help in finding good near by home and schools for my 4th grader. Here is some criteria that I have
1. Shorter commute time to my son
2. Prefer close to my office as well (If not, public transportation should be good enough). I will buy car but initially need to rely on transport.
3. Indian community and close to Indian shops, restaurants (even prefer close to temples)
4. Kids safe neighbourhood

Also please suggest typical house rent (3 BHK preferred) and living costs for a family of 2 adults and 1 kid.

Please advice.
Gopal,

There's big apartment complex called Presidential Towers (PT), which has huge Indian community and good schools, good public transport. There are few more Apartments near this. But this one has a good options.
Check this out..

Old 11-04-2019, 04:30 PM

43 posts, read 29,505 times
Now I feel like hijacking the topic, moving away from my initial intent to share the tools I found helpful in my own research. But let me respond nevertheless. Hope the OP forgives this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I thought WOW. Forget close suburbs even and such a attitude (though honest) I'm thinking -- Why would he even choose Chicagoland? When there is a whole Nation to choose. I'd hope you make a visit first at least......

Schools. As you put it yourself. I was looking the highest ranked schools outside the city and properties on the North Shore appealed to me most compared to Hinsdale or Naperville.

I live in Sydney, Australia, a humongous city and commuting for 1+ hrs is nothing out of the ordinary - provided the Metra is nearby, the commute is pretty much a forced reading time. Luckily, I won't need to be in the office five days a week.

Quote:
Good luck though in your search and adapting to Continental Northern winters. I believe you said moving in January ...... Summer to JN Fen to be WOEST of winter months to adjust too. Best to choose summer thru Early Autumn to ACCLIMATE the way we all do. Should be sufficient to acclimate thru Autumn first. Northern suburbs are great though.
Thanks!

My goal is before the school starts next year. The kids might get a bit of adjustment (past the excitement caused by the colours or autumn and the first snow fun). The Mrs and I are well familiar with a proper winter and we don't belong to the group of people putting a beanie on when a sudden Antarctic breeze brings +16C at 5am on a single day in the middle of the summer's heatwave (+44C/111F). But to your point, coming in the mid of Jan would be tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs